Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Venom bug?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by umbrella, Mar 15, 2004.

1. umbrella

umbrella IncGamers Member

Venom bug?

So, I'm thinking of maxing venom on my pvp kicker, so I put a point into it.
    I look at my dmg which is like 400-500. I cast Venom and my dmg goes down to 150-250. I think it's because of my poison charms but can someone explain this?

2. goldenfrog

goldenfrog IncGamers Member

The poison from charms is reduced to the amout that they would do over the .4 sec venom duration

3. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

If you lets say have a venom that does 500 dmg over 0.4 seconds , and have 10 * sc with 100 dmg over 5 seconds your total poison dmg will becomes 580 dmg over 0.4 seconds. Without the venom it would be 1000 dmg over 5 seconds.

The only difference in the displayed part is that without venom the 1000 dmg will be displayed , and with venom on it's the 580 dmg. Do keep in mind that with the venom you will do alot and alot more poison dmg over the same 5 seconds as without the venom.

10 * 100 dmg over 5 sec = 1000 dmg over 5 sec (10 * 100 pd sc's)
    500 dmg over 0.4 sec = 6250 dmg over 5 sec (500 dmg venom)

4. umbrella

umbrella IncGamers Member

so the dmg from my poison charms doesn't disappear, it just happens underneath the Venom?

5. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

The dmg from your charms is still the same. It's only applied over 0.4 sec instead of the total duration of the charm.

100 dmg over 5 seconds is the same as 8 dmg over 0.4 seconds. If you can aply the poison every 0.4 seconds that is.

So technicly , the dmg doesn't disappear , it's only applied in a different timeframe.

6. Dementor

Dementor Banned

Basically what this means is that you lose killing power if you're trying to keep several monsters poisoned at once, with a bowasin, for example, tagging onw monster, then another, then another.

However, versus a single target which you hit again and again and again, there is no (or very little) loss of damage.

The exception to this is Whirlwind, which an assassin can cast via the Chaos claw, which allows you to keep a large group of monsters poisoned.

7. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

If you have like 10 * 100 pd sc's over 5 sec , it means you do 1000 dmg over 5 seconds. With a 500 dmg venom it's 6250 dmg over 5 sec.

The thing is with venom you need to re-aply it every 0.4 seconds , which means you can only keep 1 monster poisoned the whole time. With the pd sc's if you can keep 7 monsters poisoned you will do 7000 dmg over 5 sec , which is more then the venom will do. That's why for a nightshade AKA sniper viper it's prolly better not to use venom , just because of the 0.4 sec timer. a NS needs to hit lots of monsters , and she has to make sure the poison stays on them long enough to reset it with a new hit once you hit all monsters.

WW sins with venom aren't that good either. PVM speaking that is. A last WW break WW will hit a monster every 4 frames. This means you can hit 5 monsters within 20 frames. With the 100 / 5 sec pd sc's you can hit a total of 32 different monsters before the timer is resetted (5 sec = 125 frames , 125 / 4 = 31.25).

For pvp WW and venom are alot and alot better , since you will do some nasty dmg , which is only directed at one person , not a whole group.

8. Static

Static Banned

I agree with Lunatic that WW + venom in pvp is the way to go. I guess its based on what you want to do more pvm or pvp. If venom works out for you that will always free up your inventory room for something else.