Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vengeance Question

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by zeagon, Sep 24, 2010.

1. zeagon

zeagon Diabloii.Net Member

Vengeance Question

Ok so iam planning my next build.
    I will use vengeance/conviction and Aura Items.

My main issue i have, because i do not know, is if i use a dream shield or a dragonshield.
    Will 2 Dreams work? will the Light dmg added to my attack stack? If so i will use Dream ofc.

Also iam planning to use Doom as weapon, ( just because of the aura :D ) I heard Botd should be better cos the veng. dmg is based from the weapon dmg.
    Is the dmg difference that big? Botd ofcourse has valuable mods on it, no doubt, but i kind of love to have so many auras.
    But i assume my dmg would be much less as doom properbly has around 200 max dmg less
    Advice or tips are much welcome :)
    ( sorry for grammar )

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: Vengeance Question

Even better, the aura levels of both Dreams will add up and provide the according pulse and on-weapon damage. Regarding the weapon, I would use BotD because of its huge weapon damage. But better have a look at the paladin forum, I never tried a vengeance paladin myself.

3. zeagon

zeagon Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you very much :) now the shield question is decided.

Will head over there, thx :)

4. Lgpergentile

Lgpergentile Diabloii.Net Member

Dream Helm and Shield, Dragon Weapon and Armor, and Have Merc cover Ice with Eth Doom Polearm on Defiance or Might merc or with Ice merc with Beast (For Fanatacism) with Conviction as your own active aura. Wait... which effect Vengence more, Faster attack speed or Faster cast rate?

5. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

IAS affects vengeance. And instead of dual Dragons I'd go for CoH/BotD. BotD gives a much better base damage for vengeance, and the damage from holy fire isn't that much

6. vdzele

vdzele Diabloii.Net Member

Vengeance gets the best damage when you use +max / +min damage modifiers on any item. Meaning that Grief is could be better choice. I have dug out my old thread that shows you how much exact damage will vengeance do, which is not correctly shown on your Lying Character Screen (LCS) when using Grief.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352252

calculation e) is correct, though you should not use fanaticism. Conviction is much better choice.

Let’s compare Grief and Botd accordingly what the calculations say. Paladin level 90 is using a Grief RW Berserker axe with weapon damage 24-71 and the “fabulous’ modifier is Damage +400. His strength is 200. He is also using Fanaticism lvl 20 (+373% damage) and vengeance level 20 (+184% elemental damage). All other modifiers from his gear are ignored.

Minimum Damage = (24 + 400) x (1 + 200 / 100 + 373 / 100)) x 1
    Minimum Damage = 424 x 6.73
    Minimum Damage (normal attack) = 2853 (physical)
    Minimum Damage (vengeance attack) = 2853 + 24 x 1.84 x 3 = 2985

Maximum Damage = (71 + 400) x (1 + 200 / 100 + 373 / 100)) x 1
    Maximum Damage = 471 x 6.73
    Maximum Damage (normal attack) = 3169 (physical)
    Maximum Damage (vengeance attack) = 3169 + 71 x 1.84 x 3 = 3560

Average = 3272

Paladin level 90 is using a Botd Eth berserker axe with weapon damage (24-71) x 1.5 = 36-106 and the modifier from BOTD is 400%ed ==> weapon damage is 180-530. His strength is 200. He is also using Fanaticism lvl 20 (+373% damage) and vengeance level 20 (+184% elemental damage). All other modifiers from his gear are ignored.

Minimum Damage = 180 x (1 + 200 / 100 + 373 / 100)) x 1
    Minimum Damage = 180 x 6.73
    Minimum Damage (normal attack) = 1211 (physical)
    Minimum Damage (vengeance attack) = 1211 + 36 x 1.84 x 3 = 1409

Maximum Damage = 530 x (1 + 200 / 100 + 373 / 100)) x 1
    Maximum Damage = 530 x 6.73
    Maximum Damage (normal attack) = 3566 (physical)
    Maximum Damage (vengeance attack) = 3566 + 106 x 1.84 x 3 = 4151

Average = 2780

Since Botd is faster it could deliver more damage per time and has good leech. But on one single hit...

Just put these +max / +min damage modifiers on every item (War Travelers, 15max damage / 15ias jewels, 10max /xx ar Grand charms....), not +enhanced damage...and way you go. IAS is important too.

I really don't know that those elemental auras add to weapon damage...I doubt, you have to check that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. stephan

stephan Diabloii.Net Member

The +damage from Grief doesn't work with Vengeance.

8. krischan

+min/max dmg works with vengeace but not the "damage +x" type which Grief provides, see here (post 2).

The problem with Grief and the LCS is that off-weapon %ed isn't applied to dmg +x on the LCS.

9. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack Diabloii.Net Member

Beast can't be made in swords. If you want Fanaticism, you'll need to make Faith in a non-amazon bow and use a rogue merc.

If you're making an auradin, Zeal will work much, Much, MUCH better than vengeance. Vengeance is slow, and you want to apply your [synergized] level 30 Holy Shock fast! In that case, I'd use Grief for some physical damage. Make it in a phase blade for good speed too, then you don't really need fanaticism on the merc.

Skills:
    20 conviction
    20 resist Lightning
    20 salvation
    4 zeal (less if you have plus skills from gear)
    20 sacrifice

10. krischan

His question was about vengeance, but if it's just about somebody with an aura, I would make an enchantress with maxed lightning mastery, Dream helm+armor, Passion phase blade and Infinity on the merc. A hybrid with maxed FO is the only tri-element sorc which works rather well in hell mode (to my knowledge)... and strictly spoken, she's cheating with respect to lightning :whistling: