Vega's MF Sorc (repost)

Asmodeous

Diabloii.Net Member
Crumbs.

It wasn't that long ago I was beaten around the head by several posters here for singing the virtues of a vitality base block tals soser with defiance merc and now you have to go and dig this old guide up!

It is really amazing how close vega's guide is to my own soser. I built that soser when the introduction of v1.10 nerfed my level 97 tri elementalist sorceress, so Veg's probably wrote this guide at about the same time I was building my character, yet I don't remember following any guide for it. What veg's guide is really missing here is the one point frozen armor which you need to go with the defiance merc choice, if erm, this build was viable at all nowadays. :embarassed:
In fact I was busy writing my own "ultimate sorceress" guide which delved into why all our v1.09 sorceress's where dying all the time in v1.10. Those where the days!

Dragonlover

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been using this guide for my MF sorc, just got to Act 2 Hell. Obviously, this build has problems with FI/CI mobs, is it worth putting a point or two into Chain Lightning to deal with them? I have a Chromatic Ire, so it seems like it would be a good investment, but I wasn't sure.

Dragonlover

Low Key

Diabloii.Net Member
I've been using this guide for my MF sorc, just got to Act 2 Hell. Obviously, this build has problems with FI/CI mobs, is it worth putting a point or two into Chain Lightning to deal with them? I have a Chromatic Ire, so it seems like it would be a good investment, but I wasn't sure.

Dragonlover
Dont bother with Chain Lightning. A much better solution would be using Static to whittle down the mobs HP while your merc finishes them of.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Since the only FI/CI monsters you will find will be unique monsters, you can take out their pack with one of your main spells and then just help your merc kill the boss. As Low Key said, static can get you half-way there, and then you can use telekenesis to pin the monster for your merc.

klonez

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a minor note: if you tend to use Fireball more than meteor
(and you will, since it's not timered), you'll want to put points
into Firebolt as well as mastery. After maxing Meteor and Fireball,
keep displayed Mastery level (ie. including +skills from gear) 9 or
10 levels higher than base Firebolt level (ie. excluding +skills from
gear).

Example: With +9 to fire (or all) skills, keep Firebolt at or one
above the level of Fire Mastery.

For the math behind this, check the Sorceress forum faq for
"synergies and mastery explained" (or something like that).
Can someone explain this one to me a bit more, becuase right now it's just not making sense. The example he gave just confused the hell out of me.

TouchOfInsanity

Diabloii.Net Member
Can someone explain this one to me a bit more, becuase right now it's just not making sense. The example he gave just confused the hell out of me.
He's saying that you'll want to keep your modified Fire Mastery (from +skills) 9-10 levels above your unmodified Firebolt. +Skills do not work with Firebolt to synergize Fireball, only hard points work.

klonez

Diabloii.Net Member
He's saying that you'll want to keep your modified Fire Mastery (from +skills) 9-10 levels above your unmodified Firebolt. +Skills do not work with Firebolt to synergize Fireball, only hard points work.
Thanks.

Anyone know which merc is best to use ? Defiance or Freeze ?

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a 2% per point synergy IIRC. It makes a relatively small difference in the final FO damage. A pure orber (or one using a zero synergy backup skill) would max it, but on a meteorb, your points are far better spent boosting the fire tree (or CM) than synergizing FO. Leave ice bolt at 1.

-CG

Nazdakka

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Vega's MF Sorc (repost)

It'll work fine in 1.11. I don't think it's your best option for a dedicated MF character, but it's hardly the worst either.

Also: Leave Warmth at 1 point.

dakotaN

Diabloii.Net Member

skullders wins in mf vs tal armor , but think about the set bonuses PLUS the resistances , i have pure blizz with mf gear , and meteorb in tal , tal ownz believe me :)

Demongod

Diabloii.Net Member

Full tals sorc >> any other for dual-treeing. The end. It's not about your absolute MF. It's about how fast you run it as well.

gifpaste

Diabloii.Net Member

Do people not do baal runs much? I see everyone mentioning meph/pindle mostly

Is pure cold the fastest for those 2, and 2 trees for including other bosses/rushes for other people?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

Baal doesn't drop too well items from the highest group (TC87) - like Berserker Axes, Hydra Bows, Diadems, Sacred Armors. For TC87 it's usually more effective to run Pindleskin or lvl 85 areas. For items from TC75 and lower (lot of good uniques) it's better to do Meph runs. Specialized cold sorc can do all these tasks better than hybrid, so you can see a lot of cold sorc specialized for MF.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member

To answer whoever asked it, FO MF sorc works beautifully in 1.11. Mephy goes down quite easily, the only tricky bit is having a strong hurtystick on your merc to take down the CIs. Plus, the area of effect means that you get a lot of drops you wouldn't get by targeting only Meph or only Pindle, and sometimes those are better than the drops that Meph or Pindle giebs.