Vega's MF Sorc (repost)

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Artagas said:
I don't think the 45 points you have for the damaging spells are distributed optimally. according to the elemental skill calculator (http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc this is _not_ the forbidden one)
if you want to optimize your meteor damage with +5 skillers lets say, FB 13 and FM 12 would be better. with +8 skillers FM 10 and FB 15 is optimal. or possibly, even 20 FB and only 5 FM if you want higher FB damage as well.
Well I think when Vega wrote this guide he was going for the "At the moment" thing. Not to mention that he recommends use of Fire Ball in some situations, IIRC. And more FB = more Mana Cost.

Plus. Meteor rocks enough as it is. :p

Solus

Diabloii.Net Member
I am following this guide down to a T but how would i go about optimizing my FB dmg? I have a total of +8 from gear. How would I make my FB pack a punch for the annoying CI's? Also would I still max Meteor atm my meteor is at 1 +8 and my FB is at 10 +8 FM is 1 +8 also.

Skinny

Banned
nice thread resurrection
vega's build is kind of old school the usual meteorb now (which works better than vega's) looks like this

1 Static, Warmth, TK, Tele
20 Meteor, Fire Mastery, Fireball +prereqs
20 Frozen Orb, Cold Mastery so that it's lvl 17 with items+prereqs

Use the fire spells primarily, with FO against Fire Immunes

sta-wise: strenght enough for gear (85 is good), dex either base or ~150 for 75% block (your choice), rest vitality. Noting in energy, it's not needed

hope this helps

Delreich

Diabloii.Net Member
Skinny said:
20 Meteor, Fire Mastery, Fireball +prereqs
Just a minor note: if you tend to use Fireball more than meteor
(and you will, since it's not timered), you'll want to put points
into Firebolt as well as mastery. After maxing Meteor and Fireball,
keep displayed Mastery level (ie. including +skills from gear) 9 or
10 levels higher than base Firebolt level (ie. excluding +skills from
gear).

Example: With +9 to fire (or all) skills, keep Firebolt at or one
above the level of Fire Mastery.

For the math behind this, check the Sorceress forum faq for
"synergies and mastery explained" (or something like that).

makaa

Diabloii.Net Member
HI,help me!
I had lots of blizz sorcs before,and i got bored of them and wanted to try something else.So im following this guide and im currently lvl 71.
Wierd thing is,that this chars seems so weak.I cant kill hell andy,not to mention meph.And i have serius trouble with even nm meph.
My skills are
20orb
20Cm
~10meteor
10 Fire Ball
3 Warmth
1 Teleport
1 Static Field
+ pre-reqs.

I have quite lousy eq and my resists are all red in hell.
About same level blizz sorc i was able to kill hell meph,but my orb does very little damage now :s

punsAREfun

Diabloii.Net Member
makaa said:
HI,help me!
I had lots of blizz sorcs before,and i got bored of them and wanted to try something else.So im following this guide and im currently lvl 71.
Wierd thing is,that this chars seems so weak.I cant kill hell andy,not to mention meph.And i have serius trouble with even nm meph.
My skills are
20orb
20Cm
~10meteor
10 Fire Ball
3 Warmth
1 Teleport
1 Static Field
+ pre-reqs.

I have quite lousy eq and my resists are all red in hell.
About same level blizz sorc i was able to kill hell meph,but my orb does very little damage now :s
you put too many points into CM. also i have no idea why he recommends 3 points in warmth. 1 point with +skills should be enough. also, as sevencreature said, use a wand of LR. it will help alot with your fire spells. /imo

i have a MF Meteorb sorc. i thought i used this build, but my sorc looks a bit different now that look at this guide again. she's lvl 89 and running meph and pindle like crazy. she can also take baal easily at /players3. her skills look like this:

20 Fireball
20 Meteor
18 Fire Mastery
3 Firebolt (the synergy here is better than FM for Fireball and i use Fireball a lot)
3 prereqs

20 Frozen Orb
8 Cold Mastery (with gear you should have at least 17)
5 prereqs

1 Static Field
1 Teleport
1 prereqs

i'm going to max FM and put the rest of the points into Firebolt. :thumbsup:

jrlafrance

Diabloii.Net Member
punsAREfun said:
<snip>...20 Fireball
20 Meteor
18 Fire Mastery
3 Firebolt (the synergy here is better than FM for Fireball and i use Fireball a lot)
3 prereqs

20 Frozen Orb
8 Cold Mastery (with gear you should have at least 17)
5 prereqs

1 Static Field
1 Teleport
1 prereqs

i'm going to max FM and put the rest of the points into Firebolt. :thumbsup:
Sounds like you just contradicted yourself there pAf. If Firebolt gives a better synergy to Fireball than Fire Mastery, why would you finish out FM first? Firebolt gives +14% fire damage while Fire Mastery only gives +7% fire damage, half as much.

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
why 100 energy? I got 50 with my new nblizzsorc, and its enoguh! And then I have not found any nice +mana or such items yet!

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
@jrlafrance: Fire mastery works differently than a synergy. It does it's work after the damage with synergies is counted, so it's not a simple as looking at the %increase per point spent. Delreich got the jist of how to split the points.

@zarfen: This was one of the earlier 1.10 guides. I think the "we can buy mana potions now" concept took a while to make it's way into people's playstyles. Also, keep in mind that a Blizz sorc and Orb/Meteor sorc do have different mana needs, especially for FB spammers. I ususally go for around 70 Energy.

punsAREfun

Diabloii.Net Member
jrlafrance said:
Sounds like you just contradicted yourself there pAf. If Firebolt gives a better synergy to Fireball than Fire Mastery, why would you finish out FM first? Firebolt gives +14% fire damage while Fire Mastery only gives +7% fire damage, half as much.
that's a good point, i guess i should have elaborated. i've been running meph, baal and pindle and i use meteor to kill them. fire mastery gives a better bonus to meteor than firebolt does. also, with gear my FB does over 5k dmg at this point, so i prefer to have the more balanced bonus of FM.

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
semi OT, but relevant:

How much damage would a level 25 (20 with +skills) firebolt do, with maxed synergies, and level 25 fire mastery? This is just a theory build, in case you're wondering.

makaa

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey give me some advice,should i start a new char or can i make this work somehow?
My goal is mostly fast meph and pindle run,im doing other char for pits.

grossesexy

Diabloii.Net Member
makaa said:
Hey give me some advice,should i start a new char or can i make this work somehow?
Blizz sorc is gonna work better for meph and pindle in my opinion. My meteorb sorc can take out andy faster, but otherwise blizz sorc is superior for pure mpeh and pindle.

Skinny

Banned
makaa said:
You should rebuild her just because of those 3 points in Warmth :p

Demongod

Diabloii.Net Member
The fact that there is so much into energy is so sad. If you have an occulus, you will *never* have to worry about mana again since you will essentially be regaining every point as you slaughter everything in your path. I also (from personal experience) disagree with mass vitality. You can get 300 more HP from 150 vitality, or put that into dexterity and achieve a very respectable block rate. And another thing: it doesn't matter what you do--mass vitality or max block--those lightning shooting black souls in hell are going to rip you a new one if you let them volley you one way or another.

I also (from personal experience) disagree with mass vitality. You can get 300 more HP from 150 vitality, or put that into dexterity and achieve a very respectable block rate.
I agree on this one. The only exception being spirit. Perhaps with beta Cta the difference would be a little bit more noticeable.

bubux

Diabloii.Net Member
I might be wrong, and I hope so but:

... You can add a point into Cold Mastery if you must, but it really is alot less helpful than another point in FO itself, since monsters in normal won't have much (if any) resistance to cold anyway...
One point in cold mastery helps alot even in normal level, much more than a point into Frozen Orb because by making monsters cold resistance negative you will be significantly increasing cold damage.

... As soon as FO is maxed, it's time to start maxing Cold Mastery. Yes, your Meteor is still at a low level, but almost during all of NM you will mow through everything using FO alone, and CM will increase your damage output using it, so go on and max it as well!...
Don't! Maxing CM is a waste of skill points. Ready posts about it in this forum. Most ppl recomend a lvl 17 Cold Mastery for MF.