Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vega's MF Sorc (repost)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by supermatt, Jan 29, 2004.

1. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

Vega's MF Sorc (repost)

After hearing all the comments from SP'ers and BNET'ers alike, about how drasticly and harshly the sorc has beeing hit with the nerf stick coming 1.10, and also hearing so many questions abotu building a reliable mf'er in 1.10, I've decided to write up this little guide, based on my own experience with my level 84 FO/Meteor sorc, Faith.

A. So what is our goal here?
    We are trying to build a sorc which is both reliable in 1.10 Hell, and which can also easily and safely run Hell Meph and Pindle for items, considering they're the two easiest targets for a sorc.

B. Why Frozen Orb?
    Frozen Orb is rather simple actually. It's definitely the easiest to aim, most area covering, most damaging per casting and basically the most effective sorc skill in the new patch. The way the skill works is that you cast that globe of ice which continues to release these shards of ice all over, each of the shards doing the damage that is presented in the character screen. Meph has a relatively low resistance to cold in Hell, and eventhough Pindle gets random immunities in Hell, he very seldom gets cold immunity.

C. Why Meteor?
    Seeing that you'll encounter many monsters which have cold immunity in Hell, you cannot rely on only one element to lead you to vicotry. I chose to go with Meteor because it has many helpful synergies, and because it reaches a very respectable damage later on in the game. Of course, the fact that both these timered spells have the exact same timer and cannot be used in synchronization, but that surely is not a major problem, I will explain why later, in the strategy section.

D. What, two trees only?
    This ain't 1.09 folks, and tri-elemental sorcs just ain't viable anymore. We'll need all the synergies we can get, and for that we'll need to only focus on two trees. We will of course use utility skills from the lightning tree, but will not use Thunder Storm for example, for the reason mentioned above.

E. So which skills do I use?
    20 Frozen Orb
    20 Cold Mastery
    20 Meteor
    15 Fire Mastery
    10 Fire Ball
    3 Warmth
    1 Teleport
    1 Static Field

F. What about stats?
    Strength: 85
    Dexterity: base
    Vitality: As much as possible (200+)
    Energy: 100

I suggest the 85 points in strength for the ability to wear Tal-Rasha's armor, eventhough it's a rather rare item, and you will do fine with a little less in strength. In any chance, just invest as many points in strength as your best heaviest armor might require.

I decided to go with base dexterity and not to pay any attention to blocking because I think those points are much more useful for vitality and energy, since we'll be spamming quite some spells, even if they're timered. I certainly do not regret not having maxed blocking, and you'll see that you don't need maxed blocking nor Energy Shield in order to survive in 1.10 Hell, just a lot of hitpoints.

I may have exaggerrated a bit with the energy, but then again- I don't see where would I have placed them instead, and I really like having 1k of mana, thus allowing me to cut down on my + x% to mana, and get some more MF%.

G. How about some strategy tips?
    First thing we'll need to do is start investing points in Fire Ball, since it's both very powerful at the beginning, and also because it is a synergized skill of Meteor, thus adding to it's damage. I suggest investing into Fire Ball from level 12 (when you can use FB) to level 24 (when you can use Meteor). You won't be wasting any skill points doing so, and will have a very handy killing spell for the early stages.

Once you reach level 24, I suggest placing points into Meteor util level 30, even if Meteor will seem alot less useful than FB at that level, and you will still be using FB exclusively.

Once you reach level 30, it's time to start maxing FO. Nothing else can be more useful in those levels than FO, and I suggest maxing it ASAP. You can add a point into Cold Mastery if you must, but it really is alot less helpful than another point in FO itself, since monsters in normal won't have much (if any) resistance to cold anyway.

As soon as FO is maxed, it's time to start maxing Cold Mastery. Yes, your Meteor is still at a low level, but almost during all of NM you will mow through everything using FO alone, and CM will increase your damage output using it, so go on and max it as well!

After FO and CM are maxed you can start working on maxing Meteor first, then FM/FB later on, eventhough they don't need to be maxed in order for Meteor to be able to deal with most of the CI monsters later on.

H. What about MF'ing?
    I suggest starting to run NM Mpeh as soon as you get there for most of the very useful unique/set exceptionals, including some sweet MF equipment.

As soon as you've reached Hell Meph, you've reached MF'ing heaven The guy is very easy to deal with by first using SF on him to lower his life to half, then using FO to finish him off.
    I didn't use the trick moat while running Meph, but rather sidestepped his attacks and spammed FO. Very safe, very profitable.

When you feel you're done with Meph, or that you want to get a hold on those sweeter elite uniques (WF, GF etc.), it's time to move on to farming Pindle.
    At first I used to die quite frequently to him due to his and his minions' fierce charge attack, but once I realized how much safer it is to use my merc as well when running him, I didn't even die to him anymore, not unless he spawned with some really nasty mods, such as a CI and Fanaticism

I. Which merc do I use?
    There is only one answer here, as Hazade (my merc) would say- Act2 Defiance (defensive) merc all the way baby! The aura won't do much for your sorc herself, but it will help keep your merc alive, and you will need your merc to tank for you in Hell, trust me.
    The most important mods to have for your merc's equipment are damage reduction, life leech and resists, in that order.

J. Can I see your sorc?
    Here is some info on my own little sorc:

Character name : Faith
    Character type : Sorceress
    Character level : 84
    Character exp : 973697674

Strength : 85
    Energy : 103
    Dexterity : 45
    Vitality : 277

Life : 1107 / 717
    Mana : 958 / 337
    Stamina : 436 / 424

She is wearing the full Tal Rasha's Set, the armor and helm both being socketed with perfect topazes, giving me a total of 363% MF with all my gear and charms on. One SOJ, one Nagelring and a Rhyme'd shield. Most of my charms are small MF ones, as well as a few +life ones and +resist all ones. My precious is a 30% MF Gheed's Fortune ^^

My resists in Hell are as the following:

Fire: 75
    Cold: 75
    Lightning: 75
    Poison: 23

K. Credits
    I would like to thank Nightfish for his kind and generous help he's given me with this sorc, items and information alike.

That's it, not a real credits sort of guy here

I hope this guide is somewhat helpful and easy to read, considering it's my first guide ever, and I also will be glad to hear any comments or questions on this guide

2. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

great we are slowly returning to normal

3. General Zod

General Zod IncGamers Member

Thanks much Matt!

I started a Meteor/Orb Sorceress last night and was hoping that this guide would pop back up before I got very far with the build.

And man Thanks to Vega for making this great guide in the first place!

4. wangboBW

wangboBW IncGamers Member

Cool guide, I do have a little questions though. I know Tal's set is pretty awesome and expensive, so why not mention skulders, which requires 97 strength, and a very good armor. I just don't want people to get surprised and find skulders, yet be unable to use it even though it is a pretty good armor.

5. OiMan21

OiMan21 IncGamers Member

would i be able to substitute tals set with skullders, shako and occy but still be able to have the same (no dex) stats?

6. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

The choice between having dex or not having dex is largely a personal one. Me, I like having blocking on all chars that don't use a two handed weapon, especially on sorcs and necros (since they only get 2 points of life per point in vit (less than all other chars) but do get the same ammount of blocking as other chars for each point in dex)

The short answer to your question is: Yes.

7. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

I have a small question about CM. I've heard that maxing this isn't necessary, since having exactly 17 points in this should be top notch

8. Method0ne

Method0ne IncGamers Member

Just out of curiosity, how much damage is meteor pumping out with the setup of 20/15/10 Meteor/FM/FB?

Mainly wondering the initial blast damage, since comparatively iirc my 09 self-made meteorb MF'er was kicking out ~12k damage with slvl 29/29 Meteor/FM.

Is it any more/less powerful in 1.10?

9. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

I guess it's more. Im currently building a meterorb where Im going for fully synergized, with FM, Fire bolt and ball.... I think its quite deadly

10. Method0ne

Method0ne IncGamers Member

I might check it out myself, firstly using only max Meteor/FM to test the initial damage to see if it's actually still the same as .09's..

My old sorc was quite adept at Hell Meph runs, started in her mid lvl60's, and from there lvl'd to mid 70's from Meph alone, was kinda fun.. chances of that are probably slimmer than none now, with all the extra-beefiness of 1.10 Hell.

11. sevencreature

sevencreature IncGamers Member

Well, my current MF Meteorb Meph-farming sorc uses mainly Meteor - much safer and much faster for Meph than Orb imo (moat trick), so i would say more than 7 pts in CM is overkill (but I have negative resists and no Tal's equipment - thus Meph-tanking is almost impossible).

I did no block sorc and i'm deeply regreting it - just like nightfish said: life increase is minimal, safety decrease noticable... I have cca 1200 hps and Black Souls fry me like chips (with positive resists of course).

P.S. I strongly recommend bringing some wand with lower resist charges on switch for Mephruns - too sweet to resist...

P.S.S. - Greetings to you all people, my english isn't perfect (mediocre at best :), and this is my first post in patch 1.10 LoD period (well Spearthrower is gone some time, isn't he?)...

12. DruidTaz

DruidTaz IncGamers Member

A small question but just to keep me right we are talking about a nm act 2 merc or norm merc ? As i tend to use use nm act2 to merc for holy freeze and lets me get more shots in minions before they get to close for comfert

13. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

Defiance is ALSO an Act 2 Nightmare merc, but it's one of the other possibilities you can buy. (I think Holy Freeze is the "Combat" choice whereas Defiance is the "Defensive" choice).

14. Cinder

Cinder IncGamers Member

actually, defiance is normal/hell mode.

15. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Riiight... Sounds to me that you had a rush to write this guide before anyone did it and didn't check your sources. Tri-Elementalist are viable in 1.10 yes. So what if they aren't killing as fast as one/two elements Sorceress?

I can understand that you go with base dexterity but energy, you got two timered spells, even with base energy you will have a nice amount of mana and mana regeneration, if you ever find yourself out of mana, most of it will be back when the timer have run out and you can cast another spell. And if you run out completely just stay for awhile and voile, your good to go again. This saves you alot of points that you can put in Dex for some blocking or in Vit for life which I dont suggest btw since 1 point =2 life and thats just a waste, charms is the way to go for life.

Why not a Holy Freeze merc? Alot better since the +defense doesnt help that much anyway in hell. Why shouldn't I go with another merc instead?

Where is the item suggestions? How do I handle CI/FI? An explanation on CM? Alot of people don't know how it works. Im sorry if I sound harsh but this guide (I know it was out quite early in 1.10) seems like it was written since you wanted to be first with a MeteOrb/MF Sorc guide. Really, check your sources, I get kinda frustrated when people say that X build isn't viable and they havent even tried it. This thread seems more like a Mat thread than a guide to me.

I got a lot of other suggestions too and I REALLY think you should write this one over from scratch since to me, it's not helpful.

Check out this link for ideas. Compare it to yours.
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=254070

16. ArkAngel

ArkAngel IncGamers Member

Its shorter than sasja's one :teeth: Okok j/k

I built a meteorb following supermatt's guide, and its quite alright doing meph runs etc, now I'm going to try try out one with Sasja's guide. It looks super detailed, lots of yummy reading ahead :D

17. zigo

zigo IncGamers Member

the MF isnt very high .. how do u expect to mf a item worth something .. shouldnt it be around 450-600 ?

if not please tell me what mf i need to have most chance of finding the rarest items .. i have 435% mf

18. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

Around 350-400 MF is plenty. Anything more and you not only start getting hit hard with the diminishing returns, but it's likely that your killing speed would be greatly reduced or you'd have to drop down the players setting (more likely for Pit runs, but some people like to run Meph at a high players setting for the decreased no-drop chance), both of which would be counterproductive. Let's just say that running Meph twice with 300% MF is much more productive than running him once at 600%. But if you don't get hampered by having gear that gives you huge MF, then by all means strap it all on.

~Wolfgang

19. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

smell that? i smell necromancy at work here. seems these guides are making a comeback

20. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I don't think the 45 points you have for the damaging spells are distributed optimally. according to the elemental skill calculator (http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9325732/skillcalc this is _not_ the forbidden one)
    if you want to optimize your meteor damage with +5 skillers lets say, FB 13 and FM 12 would be better. with +8 skillers FM 10 and FB 15 is optimal. or possibly, even 20 FB and only 5 FM if you want higher FB damage as well.