Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Various D2 questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by maladroit2000, Mar 31, 2005.

1. maladroit2000

maladroit2000 Banned

Various D2 questions

Hi, I'm just returning to D2 after another extended break. Luckily I still have my old characters but I have forgotten a few things. I would be very happy if someone culd help...

1. Is it still possible to find dual leech rings? Are they expensive to trade for?

2. My sorceress is level 90. Will increasing her level help me to kill mephisto and baal faster? (I seem to remember there is a penalty to damage done/taken if your character level is different from the monsters level)

3.My mercenary has the might aura (I can't remember which act he is from) and is equipped with an ethereal Bonehew with two amn runes, Shaftstop and Vampire Gaze. He still seems to die occasionaly when fighting mephisto (his resists are 54). Any idea how to make a more solid merc e.g. different equipment that is not too expensive, different merc.

4.Any suggestions for a good area to magic find for a lightning sorc? I'm getting bored of doing boss runs.

5.Are perfect gems still worth anything?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

1. yes.
    1b. depends on other mods, if has all res and ar, might be a bit expensive, but never as high as mal.

2. clvl won't matter (not 100% sure)

3. mercs can't leech from act bosses except baal i think. best to give merc kelpie snare to slow meph.

4. pit, pindle, and countess runs are good;especially countess for light sorc because she usually only spawns ice and fire immune.

First response woot!

3. Alywin

Alywin IncGamers Member

Some supplements:

1 On non-ladder realm, i dont think you can get a good dual leech ring without high runes.

2. Agree

3. I am not sure mercs cannot leech from other act bosses. It appears to me that my merc can leech quite well from meph, though never paying any attention to study the matter....

4. Another hints, if you go for pit runs, I would suggest you enter into 8 players game to warrant most (need not be best) items dropped from dead monsters.

5 (the first respondent didn't answer that) Yes, p. gems are still worth quite some things, in particular for those useful but not rare uniques like shako.

4. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

Clvl affects the chance to hit/get hit (melee), and of course, if your main attack is not fully synergized yet, you'll get stronger every level.

Slow gear is good idea for meph (mostly if you're only doing meph, however I suggest to try andy a bit; quest drop bug and an excellent source of rings and ammys). Crown of ages would be a great helm, because of the dr/res and 2 open sockets (slightly expensive). Eth stone armor for def/fhr or just good ol' shaft for dr.

Perfect gems are still useful. People use them mostly for cubing charms (magic item + 3 pgems = new mods) in hopes of getting +skill grand charms with high life.

Edit: you can't leech of meph.

Reaper's toll is nice weapon for merc; better than kelpie snare, since it does not only slow him down, but reduces the damage as well.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Some of the following tips might have already been given, but anyway:

1. Yes. On ladder Europe, average ones (ML+LL=10) cost Mal or so.

2. Damage will not decrease, but XP gains will. However, Meph is L87, so a L90 sorc still gets decent XP from him, but it's not worth visiting him just because of the XP ;)

3. You can't leech from Meph and Diablo, but you definitely can leech from Baal, although he has quite a low leech effectiveness. For example, my bowazon has to drink mana potions versus Diablo, but she doesn't have to drink any potions at all versus Baal. If she runs out of mana because of his breath, she leeches it back (although slowly) with magic arrow which costs no mana from a certain skill level on. Regarding the merc, a Kelpie Snare (IMO the best anti act boss weapon) will help a lot and if it's upped and perhaps even ethereal, your merc will even help killing him. BTW, your merc has very low resists. My mercs normally wear Reaper's, Gris armor or Black Hades with 3 IAS jewels and Tal's Helm ot Crown of Thieves, but exchanging Reaper's with an upped, ethereal, amned Kelpie Snare would work well versus single target, I guess. However, I prefer to get the merc killed and do the moat trick versus Meph, although I respect you doing it the honest way.

4. A single element sorc will have her difficulties nearly everywhere in solo games, so she will be good in only a few areas, like Durance 3 or versus Pindle.

5. Sure. 40 give you an Um rune in ladder. You can also reroll GCs with the cube recipe. To be precise, you can do that with any magical item, but IMO it makes sense with GCs only, perhaps with SCs as well.

6. Luckymofo

Luckymofo IncGamers Member

DOH! By the way, I noticed that my melee characters didn't leech from hell meph and they had 20% leech (not using dracul's). I'm 75% sure that mercs cant leech from meph at least...

7. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

You should definitely get better equipment on your merc.

My suggestions would be:
    Helm: Andariel's Visage or Kira's Guardian
    Armor: Gladiator's Bane, Duriel's Shell, or Shaftstop

Kira's and Duriel's would really help your merc's resistances. You probably won't need both, though. I would socket whatever you use with something useful, depending on what your merc needs. Buff a single resist (probably lightning for mephy) with a rune in your armor, or check your merc's IAS breakpoints and see if you could get another with 15% IAS jewel.

One merc I have is outfitted with Duriel's Shell (Ort, I think) and Andariel's Visage (damage/resist jewel) and he rarely dies.

A MF sorc's merc I've used is equipped with Shaftstop and Kira's and an Ethereal Reaper's Toll. His resists are great, and he rarely dies.

Hope that helps.

8. maladroit2000

maladroit2000 Banned

Excellent stuff, thanks for all the replies.

I may have more questions later (my D2 knowledge is pretty shaky now) in which case I will add them onto this thread.

9. Alywin

Alywin IncGamers Member

Oh, I CAN'T leech from meph and diablo? I have never paid attention to that. They die anyway.... :eek:

10. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

For the merc I would definately reccommend Stone in an eth armor and andarials visage socketed with Ral. This will give max resists to all (or just abouts) and if you get a good enhanced defense on the armor you will get about 3000 defense. Try finding an eth armor that already has 10-15% ED, last night I switched my mercs gladiators bane with a 3150 Stone and the difference is very noticable.

11. maladroit2000

maladroit2000 Banned

Here is one that is bugging me:

How does one stop a game from closing the character is left inactive for more than 5 minutes. I seem to remember some kind of trick involving the Monsastery gates or the pile of wood in the rogue encampment where the character keeps running so the game does not close.

12. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

It's called idling the game. You basically need to get your character to try to run somewhere and get caught so that the character runs in place.

The places I have the best luck are

A1: when the exit to the blood moor is north, catch yourself on the wood wall inside town and click on the waypoint.

A5: i can catch myself if i'm up on the ledge overlooking the stash and click on the stash.

Both take a little bit of practice, but doable. There are more, my friend does it in A2 somewhere, but I don't remember how.

13. sheepe2004

sheepe2004 IncGamers Member

Try this: open a tp in act5, go into malahs house and click the tp. You should get stuck running into the wall and the screen will move around alot if its worked.