Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Variable item stats - interested?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Psychic Watch, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Psychic Watch

Psychic Watch IncGamers Member

Variable item stats - interested?

"Hiiii everybody!" "Hiii Psychic Watch!"

As a long time lurker (since my last account apparently sacrificed himself in battle with the squid) there's a pet project I've been wondering about.

Would anyone else find it useful to have a list of all grail items that have variable stats? For example, Stormlash has this:

+240-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)

With the recent Flavie/ATMA coordination I had also thought about a way to include the extra info on a report.

What do y'all think? :cool:

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

holy crap. your insane :thumbsup: which is always incouraged here :D
    im sure not even strijdje himself has all the variable stats of every item

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I saw a list like this about a year or so ago. I'd find it really useful if someone could dredge it up, or recreate it. It would be really nice in the same format that Flavie uses... say in place of the TC. We don't really need the full range, just the max of the variable stats.

4. Psychic Watch

@corax: Haha, I should clarify - I'm definitely not crazy (or lucky) enough to try collecting all the best rolls for variable items. But after finding that 354th Venom Ward, it's nice to know which ones are "more worth keeping" :p

@Shagsbeard: Yeah, I've searched high and low as well for an existing list. The best I've seen are some of the trade lists in the local trading forums, as well as The Tankazon Resource.

What would be the biggest help is to find an accurate, all-one-page list of all the items and stats (variable or not). The unique/set .txt files for the actual game and Medieval Mart are what I've been working with to start, but running across names like "Piercerib" and misspellings like "The Minataur" (within Blizzard's source files) doesn't lend itself to automation.

After getting an accurate source list it's simple to make any type of output. This could even extend to other output lists like "all items with Magic Find" or "all swords with 40%IAS". :thumbsup:

5. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

I tell you what, I spent alot of time editing Medievel Mart to have an extra column for variable stats. This way, once I have a perfect roll, I can cross it off my pickup list. I didn't do it for all the items yet, but I'm working on it still.

A program that would do this for me, rather than me inputting AS stats in would be awesome.

6. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

For this check out right here (it's on the barb forum):

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=253997

Randall

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Thanks randall, thats a very nice list, especially if your looking for a thing, you can see what gives the most.

8. Psychic Watch

@DougTheHead2: I've also noticed that a few 1.09 item stats are still in the 1.10 Medieval Mart version (Blizz snuck a few changes in, such as to the 2-handed axes like Boneslayer Blade). Was there a certain column setup you had going (maybe a screenshot?)

@Randall: Definitely a good list, much like the aforementioned Tankazon Resource ( in color! :) ). Stats for IAS and character skills on items are conspicuously absent though - part of the reason I've been looking into the whole idea.

@farting bob: "Zods? Where we're going, we don't need 'Zods'!" :D

9. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

I actually have a draft guide in progress to what I call the Perfect Grail. It lists all Grail items and only the modifications on each Grail Item that vary. I state what the perfect version of each variable Grail item is, and the odds that a grail item will be the perfect version. As an example:

Nagelring: MF: 15-30% Attack Rating= +50-75
    Odds of a Nagelring having MF=30%, AR=+75 = 1 in 416

Crown of Ages: Sockets 1-2; Resist All:20-30%; Damage Reduction = 15-20%, and Defense = 349 - 399
    Odds of a Crown Of Ages having 2 Sockets and 30%,20%, 399 is 1 in 6,732!

And, so on

I have all this information worked out. Do you think people would be interested?

10. Psychic Watch

@Quickdeath: That's awesome. How far along is your draft? I'm also genuinely curious how you went about gathering the variable stats (I've been writing a program) and how you calculated the odds.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

If im working out this correct, the odds of a goldstrike arch being perfect are 1 in 4,139,116,956.
    Thats 35-175 base damage, 250% ED, 200% ED to undead, 200%ED to demons and 150% to AR.
    Good luck getting that on your perfect grail, in my time playing 1.10, if only had 1 goldstrike drop, and no, it wasnt perfect.

EDIT: P_W, i used diabloii.net's item section. Now that RTB has gone through and made sure everything's correct, i prefere it to arreat summit, which takes ages to load on my dial up.
    The odds are calculated by multiplying the number of possible options for each part. eg: if an item has equal chance to have between 2 and 6 sockets, there are 5 options. do that for all variables and multiply them.
    Good luck on that program, it sounds like a mammoth task indeed.

12. Quickdeath

Thanks. Look, I just pulled the variable stats off of Arreat summit. It took many many hours to do so. I've created a spreadsheet and calculated the odds for every unique and set item. I have several pages of the Perfect Grail Guide written. I'll go back to it and try to get it out in a few days.

Farting -Bob: You are correct that Goldstrike Arch is the rarest perfect unique. I am quite sure that the entire SPF community pooled together does not have a perfect grail.

Here's a weird fact from my draft guide: The SOJ is the only ring that has no variations - there is only one set of mods on all SOJs. The Perfect Nagelring is actually rarer than the Perfect SOJ. Cool, huh?

F-Bob has described the basic calculational method -but there's a bit mroe than that to it because different variable modifierss can combine and soemtimes more than one combination will yield the highest damage or defense number.

13. symeon

symeon IncGamers Member

I would certainly be, and so I guess many other people.
    I know by heart which items I'm still hunting for and which I have, but would love to have a reference of which ones (although I have at least one of) can be improved.

14. Psychic Watch

@symeon: Well put, and definitely another interested party here. :)

@Quickdeath: Let me know if you could use a hand getting the guide ready. :thumbsup:

15. Psychic Watch

(Tried to PM Quickdeath, but inbox was full).

Would you be willing to post or PM your variable item stats work, or at least the list of items that have varying stats?

Thanks in advance.

16. Quickdeath

Perfect Grail Guide

Here is an unfinished early draft of a "Perfect Grail Guide" Let me know what you think?

The Perfect Grail

You may never look at your unique and set items in quite the same way again. I know that I don’t, not after doing the research that led to the writing of this guide.

Outline
    1.0 What is a perfect grail item?
    2.0 Terminology
    3.0 Perfect Unique Rings, Amulets,
    4.0 Perfect Unique Armor
    5.0 Perfect Unique Melee Weapons
    6.0 Perfect Unique Ranged/Combo Weapons
    7.0 Sets
    8.0 The Table: The Perfect Grail
    9.0 The God Grail

1.0 What is a perfect grail item?
    Have you ever pulled two Nagelrings out of an ATMA stash and put them on a character to increase their Magic Find? And then run your cursor over the rings and noticed they have different Magic Finds (MFs)? Hey, what’s up with that?

Well here are the four Nagelring modifiers:
    Magic Damage Reduced By 3
    +50-75 To Attack Rating (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 3
    15-30% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Item (varies)

So, first of all, note that some Nagelrings only have a 15% MF; others have 30%. Nagelrings come with 16 different values of MF. And there’s a HUGE difference between a character with two 30% Nagelrings, and one with two 15% Nagelrings.

But, there’s also a 2nd modifier that varies, one that probably doesn’t catch your attention as often. The attack rating (AR) modifier can be a value between +50 and +75. Quick, go check your stashes and see if you have any Nagelrings with a MF of 30% and an AR of +75. What? You don’t! Not too surprising, though. Because there are 16 possible values for MF and 51 possible values for the AR modifier there are 16 x 51, or 816 different variations of a Nagelring. And only one of those variations, an MF =30%, AR=75, is “perfect.†If all the variations are equally as probable (which in this case they probably are) your odds of a Nagelring being perfect are 1 in 816.

If you have a Nagelring with all modifiers at their minimum values, this is a chipped Nagelring. A chipped Nagelring has MF = 15% and AR = 50. It also occurs wth a frequency of 1 in 816.

Let’s define two other categories of quality: Flawless and flawed. A flawless Nagelring is one in which all “major†modifiers are within the top 20% of their values. As you’ll see in section II, the Magic Find modifer is defined as major, and the Attack Rating modifier is not considered to be major. A flawed Nagelring is one in which all “major†modifiers are within the bottom 20% of their values.

So a flawless Nagelring is one in which MF = 28 to 30%.
    A flawed Nagelring is one in which MF = 15 to 17%

Illustration #2: Bonesnap Maul. We all really like this weapon don’t we? Here are its stats:
    Two-Hand Damage: (90-120) To (129-172)
    +200-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +100% Damage To Undead
    40% chance of Crushing Blow
    Cold Resist +30%
    Fire Resist +30%

Note the +200% to 300% Enhanced Damage modifer, and the range of actual damage:
    Minimum Damage (MinDam) = 90 to 120
    Maximum Damage (MaxDam) = 129 to 172

Well, a normal maul has a Damage Range of 30 to 43. So the damage of a Bonesnap Maul is simply this basic Damage Range of a maul multiplied by whatever value of Enhanced Damage (ED) multiplier that a particular unique Bonesnap item has. So a Bonesnap with an ED of +200% will have a damage of 90 (minimum) to 129 (maximum); with an ED value of 250% the Bonesnap will have a damage of 105 to 150, and with an ED=300% the Bonesnap will be “perfect,†with a damage of 120 to 172. That’s the version of Bonesnap we all want, isn’t it?

How many versions of the unique Bonesnap maul are there? It depends about how you define it. Certainly, the ED% modifier can have any of 101 values, ranging from 200 to 300. Or one could instead count the number of variations in actual damage of the Bonesnap maul. My calculations indicate that the 101 different values of the Bonesnap ED modifier will produce 59 different combinations of max and min values of Bonesnap physical damage. But only one ED value, ED = +300%, produces the peak values.

So, from one viewpoint, there are 59 versions of Bonesnap that will function differently during gameplay. But after much thought about the effects of adding on other sources of enhanced damage, I’ve concluded that it is the variation in the modifier that is most meaningful. So, by my definition, there are 101 versions of Bonesnap and the peak physical damage numbers will occur only once in 101 Bonesnap Mauls, on the average.

So for a Bonesnap we define;
    Perfect: ED = 300%
    Flawless: ED = 280 -299%
    Flawed: ED = 201 -219%
    Chipped: ED = 200%

Example #3 is a Venom Ward breast plate.
    Defense: 110-138 (varies)(Base Defense: 65-68)
    +60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +2 To Light Radius
    15% To Max Poison Resist
    Poison Resist +90%
    Poison Length Reduced By 50%

Here, both the Base Defense, the actual Defense and the Enhanced Defense (EnDef) multiplier are all said to vary. However, the formula to calculate the Defense of a Venom ward unique is simple and is based only on the peak value of base defense for a normal breast plate: 68. The Venom Ward defense formula is:

Defense = (Peak base defense +1)*(1+Enhanced Defense).

So, when Enhanced Defense Multipliers exist for an item, the range of values in Base Defense is irrelevant and all the variability in the item Defense arises from the variability in its modifiers.

So a Venom Ward can occur with 41 values of Enhanced Defense modifier, from 60% to 100%. Clearly, a perfect version of a Venom Ward breast plate will have a Defense of 138 –and this occurs only once in 41 different Venom Ward breast plates.

Enhanced Defense is considered a minor modification. Therefore, the Venom Ward unique has no flawless or flawed versions. Its versions are simply: Perfect: ED = 200% and chipped ED = 100%

3.0 Perfect Unique Rings and Amulets
    Defining the variations in unique rings, amulets, charms and jewels is fun. Almost all the modifiers are important and we don’t have multiple modifiers affecting the same parameters (such as item defense.)

3.1 Rings
    Only one unique ring has no variations at all: The Stone of Jordan. So if you have an SOJ, you have a perfect unique. Now wasn’t that easy?

Nagelring: Already covered earlier. Magic Find modifier varies from 15 to 30%, Attack Rating Modifer varies from +50 to +75. So there are 816 distinct versions, and when you find a Nagelring the odds are 1:816 that it will be perfect. Indeed, a perfect Nagelring is rarer than a perfect SOJ.
    Perfect: MF =30%, AR = +75 Prob = 1 in 816
    Flawless: MF = 28 to 30% Prob. = 19.9%
    Flawed: MF =15 to 17%
    Chipped: MF = 15%, AR = =50

Manald Heal: Mana Leach varies from 4-7%, Replenish Life from 5 to 8. 16 different versions.
    Perfect: ML = 7% Repl Life = 8
    Flawless: ML = 6% , Flawed: ML = 5% ,Chipped: ML = 4% Repl Life = 5

Ravenfrost: Dexterity mod=15-20; Attack Rating mod=150-250. 606 different versions.
    Perfect: Dex = 20, AR = + 250; Chipped: Dex = 15, AR = + 150 Prob = 1 in 606
    Flawless: Dex = 20, AR = < 250; Flawed: Dex = 15, AR = > 250

Dwarf Star: Magic damage Reduction: 12 -15. Only four versions, perfect has MDR=15.
    Perfect: MDR = 15; Chipped: MDR = 12 Prob = 1 in 4
    No Flawless or flawed versions.

Carrion Wind: Life leach varies from 6-9%; Defense vs. Missiles from +100-160.
    Perfect: LL = 9%, DefvM = +160; Chipped: LL = 9%, DefvM = +100 Prob = 1:244.

Bul-Kathos Wedding Band: Life leach varies from 3-5%. That’s it, odds of a perfect or chipped version are 1 in 3.

Nature’s Peace: Damage Reduction=7 to 11; Poison resistance = +20-30. 55 different versions.
    Perfect: DR = 11, PRes = +30; Chipped: DR = 7, PRes = +20 Prob = 1 in 55
    Flawless: DR = 11, PRes =29 or DR =10, PRes = 29,30 Prob = 3 in 55
    Flawed: DR = 7, PRes = 21
    Chipped: DR = 7, PRes = +20

Wisp Projector: Magic find = 10-20%; Lightning Absorb= 10-20% 121 different versions.
    Perfect: MF = 20%, LAbs = 20%
    Flawless: MF = 19%, LAbs = 19 -20% or MF = 20%, LAbs = 19%
    Flawed: MF = 11%, LAbs = 10 -11% or MF = 10%, LAbs = 11%
    Chipped: MF = 10%, LAbs = 10%

3.2 Amulets
    The following rings have no variations at all: Nokozan Relic, The Mahim-Oak Curio, Atma’s Scarab, Highlord’s Wrath, and The Cat’s Eye.

Thinking about maybe trying to collect a complete set of perfect amulets? Then don’t peek ahead! There are some scary numbers coming

The Rising Sun: This amulet has one of the most unusual variations of all. It will have a 2% chance to cast a meteor when struck –but it is the level of the meteor that varies. The Meteor spell level will vary from amulet to amulet between level 13 and level 19. So there are 7 different versions and a perfect The Rising Sun ammy drops level 19 meteors on the bad guys.
    Perfect: Meteor Lvl = 19; Chipped: Meteor Lvl =13

Mara’s Kaleidoscope: Resist All varies from 20-30%, not a trivial variation! 11 versions,
    Perfect: ResAll =30%, Chipped: ResAll = 20%

Saracen’s Choice: Resist All varies from 15-25% Ditto. Odds of a perfect are 1 in 11.
    Perfect: ResAll =25%, Chipped: ResAll = 15%

Crescent Moon: Mana Leach:11-15%; Life Leach:3-6%. Odds of getting a perfect: 1 in 20.
    Perfect: ML =15%, LL = 6%
    Chipped: ML = 11%, LL = 3%

Seraph’s Hymn: Defense Aura Skills = +1-2; Damage to Demons = 20-50%, Attack rating to demons is =150-250; Damage to Undead: 20-50%; Attack rating for Undead: 150-250. A perfect Seraph’s Hymn would have the best value on all 5 modifers. The odds? 1:6262. Ouch!
    Skilles will be listed in this order: (Defense Aura Skills, Damage to Demons, AR to Demons, Damage to undead, AR to Undead)
    Perfect: (2, 50%, 250, 50%, 250)
    Flawless: (2, 45-50%, 231-250, 45-50%, 231-250)
    Flawed: (1, 20-25%, 150-169, 20-25%, 150-169)
    Chipped: (1, 20%, 150, 20%, 150)

The Eye of Etlich: This one hurts to talk about, because, improbably enough, the Eye in my personal stash is close to being a chippie - having the worst value on all 6 modifiers! The modifiers are life leach = 3-7%, Cold duration = 2 to 10 seconds, minimum cold damage =1-2, maximum cold damage = 3-5, Defense against missiles = 10 to 40; and Light Radius = 1 to 5. (Who cares?) Odds of a perfect Eye? 1: 14,850 Modifications are listed in the order just discussed: Life Leach, Cold Duration, Min Cold Damage, Max Cold Damage, Defense vs. Missiles and Light Radius
    Perfect: (7%, 10 sec, 2, 5, 40, 5)
    Flawless (7%, 9-10 sec, 2, 5, any, any)
    Flawed: (3%, 2-3 sec, 1, 3, any, any)
    Chipped: (3%, 2 sec, 1, 3, 10, 1)

Metalgrid: Resist All: 25-35%; Defense adder: =300-350; Attack rating: 400-450. Odds of a perfect Metalgrid: 1 in 28,611. Very rare! There are probably very few if any perfect Metalfrids in existence.
    Attributes are listed in this order: Resist All:, Defense Adder, and Attack Rating
    Perfect: (35%, 350, 450)
    Flawless (34-35%, 341-350, 441-450,)
    Flawed: (25-26%, 300-319, 400-419)
    Chipped: (25%, 300, 400)

4.0 Perfect Armor
    4.1 Body Armor

Arkaine’s Valor Balrog Skin
    This rare armor has three variable modifiers: All Skills: +1-2, Damage Reduction:10-15, and Enhanced Defense: 150-180%
    Perfect: (2, 15, 180%) Odds of an Arkaine’s Valor being perfect are 1: 372
    Flawless (2, 15, 175-179%)
    Flawed (1, 10, 151-155%)
    Chipped (1, 10, 150%)

Atma’s Wail Embossed Plate The only variable on this armor is the Enhanced Defense Modifer which ranges from 120-160%. A Perfect is 160% and the odds of an Atma’s Wail being perfect are 1:41.

Black Hades Chaos Armor The three modifiers are Damage to Demons: 30-60%, Attack Rating to Demons: 200-250 and Enhanced Defense: 140-200%
    Perfect: (60%, 250, 200%) Odds of a Black Hades being perfect are 1: 122,000. Ouch!
    Flawless (55-60%, any, 189-200%)
    Flawed (30-35%, any, 140-151%)
    Chipped (30%, 200, 140%)

Blinkbat’s Form Leather Armor Only variable is Defense which ranges from37-42. So a Perfect Blinkbat occurs once in 6 times. Good news, since this unique is bloody hard to find.

Boneflesh Plate Mail Boneflesh’s only variable is Enhanced Defense: 100-120% Odds of a perfect Boneflesh are 1;21.

Corpsemourn Ornate Plate: Enhanced Defense varies from 150-180%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Crow Caw Tigulated Mail: Enhanced Defense varies from 150-180%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Darkglow Ring Mail: Enhanced Defense varies from 70-100%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Duriel’s Shell Cuirass: Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Goldskin Full Plate Mail: Enhanced Defense varies from 120-150%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Greyform Quilted Mail: Defense ranges from 28-31. Odds of a perfect are 4:1

Guardian Angel Templar Coat: Enhanced Defense varies from 180-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:21

Hawkmail Scale Mail: Enhanced Defense varies from 60-100%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Heavenly Garb Light Plate: No Variations!

Iceblink Splint Mail: Enhanced Defense varies from 70-80%. Odds of a perfect are 1:11

Iron Pelt Trellised Armor: Three variable modifiers! Magic Damage Reduced: 10-16, Damage Reduced: 15-20, Enhanced Defense: 50-100%
    Perfect: (16, 20, 100%) Odds of an Iron Pelt being perfect are 1: 2,142.
    Flawless (16, 20, 91-100%)
    Flawed (10, 15, 50-59%)
    Chipped (10, 15, 50%)

Leviathan Kraken Shell: Leviathan has four interesting modifiers. Strength =40-50, Physuical Damage Reduction + 15-25%, Enhanced Defense =170-200% and Defense Adder =100-150.
    Perfect: (50, 25%, 200%, 150) Odds of a Leviathan being perfect are 1: 2,142.
    Flawless (49-50, 24-25%, 195-200%, 141-150)
    Flawed (40-41, 15-16%, 170-174%, 100-109)
    Chipped (40, 15%, 170%, 100)

Ormus’ Robe Dusk Shroud: The modifications on this armor are easily the most complex of any item. They are:
    Random Sorceress Skill (1 of 25): +3
    Cold Skill Damage: 10-15%
    Fire Skill Damage: 10-15%
    Lightning Skill Damage: 10-15%
    Replenish Mana: 10-15%
    Base Defense: 361-467
    Defense Adder: 10-20
    In principle, each of the sorceress skills might be particularly desireable to any particular build. It is impossible to rank the level 24 Meteor Skill as being more desireable than the level 1 Charged Bolt skill - a Charged Boltress build would prefer the modification be +_3 to Charged Bolts, The best position is to say that there are 25 perfect Ormus’ Robes - 1 for each possible Sorceress Skill. Whether or not you favor a Perfect Blizzard Ormus’ Robe over a perfect Ice Bolt Ormus’ Robe, someone else might have a different personal and situational prefernce.
    Perfect: (Any Skill, 15%,15%, 15%,15% 467, 20) Chance of a Perfect: 25 in 34,344,000
    Flawless: (Any skill, 15%,15%, 15%, 15% ,447-467, 19-20)
    Flawed: (Any skill, 10%,10%, 10%, 10% ,361-382, 10-11)
    Chipped: (Any Skill, 10%,10%, 10%,10% 361, 10)

Que-Hegan’s Wisdom Mage Plate. Two variable modifiers; Magic Damage Reduced: 5-10; Enhanced Defense : 140-161%
    Perfect: (10, 161%) Odds of a Que Hegan’s Wisdom’s being perfect are 1: 105.
    Flawless (10, 158-160%)
    Flawed (6, 141-143%)
    Chipped (6, 140%)

Rattle Cage Gothic Plate: Defense ranges from 328-335. Odds of a perfect are 8:1

Rockfleece Field Plate: Enhanced Defense varies from 100-130%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Shaftstop Mesh Armor: Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Silks of the Victor Ancient Armor: Enhanced Defense varies from 100-120%. Odds of a perfect are 1:21

Skin of the Flayed One Demonhide Armor: three variable attributes. Life Leach: 5-7%, Replenish Life: 15-25, Enhanced Damage: 150-190%
    Perfect: (7%, 25, 190%) Odds of an Skin of the Flayed One being perfect are 1: 1,353.
    Flawless (7%, 25, 183-189%)
    Flawed (5%, 15, 50-57%)
    Chipped (5%, 15, 50%)

Skin of the Vipermagi Serpentskin Armor. Two variable attributes. Resist All 20-35% (a big swing!) and Magic Damage Reduced: 9-13 Odds of a perfect are: 1:64

Skullder’s Ire Russet Armor. Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Sparking Mail Chain Mail Two variable attributes. Attacker takes Lightning Damage: 10-14 and Enhanced Defense varies from 75-85%. Odds of a perfect are 1:55

Spirit Forge Linked Mail Enhanced Defense varies from 120-160%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Steel Carapace Shadow Plate Cold Resist: 40-60%, Damage Reduction: 9-14, Replenish Mana: 10-15%, Enhanced Defense varies from 190-200%
    Perfect: (60%, 14, 15%, 200%) Odds of a Steel Carapace being perfect are 1: 8,316
    Flawless (57-60%, 14, 15%, 199-200%)
    Flawed (40-43%, 9, 10%, 190-191%)
    Chipped (40%, 9, 10%, 190%)

Templar’s Might Sacred Armor. Well its not like this is a common drop in Diablo 2 V1.10. But this very rare unique has many, many variable modifiers.
    Offensive Aura Skills: 1-2
    Strength: 10-15
    Vitality: 10-15
    Base defense: 487-600
    Defense Adder: 170-200
    Defense vs. Missiles: 250-300
    Stamina: 40-50
    Note that Defense vs. Missiles and Stamina are defend as minor modifiers and their values are irrelevant when establishing criteria for flawless and flawed version.
    Perfect: (2,15,15, 600, 200, 300, 50) Odds of a Templar’s Might being perfect are 1:142,745,328
    Flawless (2,15,15,578-600, 195-200, 291-300, 49-50)
    Flawed (1,10,10, 487-509, 170-175, 250-259, 40-41)
    Chipped (1,10,10, 487, 170, 250, 40)

The Centurion Hard Leather Armor Defense ranges from 51-54. Odds of a perfect are 4:1

The Gladiator’s Bane Wire Fleece Magic Damage Reduction: 15-20, Damage Reduction: 15-20 Enhanced Defense varies from 150-200%.
    Perfect: (20, 20, 200%) Odds of The Gladiator’s Bane being perfect are 1:1,836.
    Flawless (20, 20, 191-199%)
    Flawed (15, 15, 151-159%)
    Chipped (15, 15, 150%)

The Spirit Shroud Ghost Armor One variable attribute. Magic Damage Reduction: 7-11. Odds of The Spirit Shroud being perfect are 1:5

Toothrow Sharktooth Armor. Attacker Takes Damage:20-40, Enhanced Defense: 160-220%, Defense Adder: 40-50
    Perfect: (40, 220%, 50) Odds of a Toothrow being perfect are 1:1,836.
    Flawless (37-40, 209-220, 49-50)
    Flawed (20-23, 160-171%, 40-41)
    Chipped (20, 160%, 40)

Twitchthroe Studded Leather. Defense ranges from 57-60. Odds of a perfect are 4:1

Tyrael’s Might Sacred Armor. The rarest item to drop has several important variable attributes. It is doubted that anyone will ever find a Perfect Tyrael’s Might, indeed it seems unlikely that many flawless Tyrael’s Might armors will be found. Variable attributes are: Resist All:20-30, Strength:20-30, Damage to demons: 50-100%, Enhanced Defense: 120-150%
    Perfect: (30, 30, 100%, 150%) Odds of a Tyrael’s Might being perfect are 1: 6,171
    Flawless (29-30, 29-30, 91-100%, 145-150%)
    Flawed (20-21, 20-21, 50-55%, 120-125%)
    Chipped (20, 20, 50%, 120%)

Venom Ward Breast Plate. Enhanced Defense varies from 60-100%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

17. Quickdeath

4.2 Helms & Circlets

Andariels’ Visage Demonhead Three attributes are variable. Life Leach: 8-10%, Strength: 25-30 and Enhanced Defense: 100-150%
    Perfect: (10%, 30, 150%) Odds of an Andariels Visage being perfect are 1:918.
    Flawless (10%, 30, 141-149%)
    Flawed (8%, 25, 101-109%)
    Chipped (8%, 25, 100%)

Biggin’s Bonnet Cap. Defense varies from 17-19. Odds of a perfect are 1:3.

Blackhorn’s Face Death Mask. Enhanced Defense varies from 180-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Coif of Glory Helm. Defense varies from 25-28. Odds of a perfect are 1:4.

Crown of Ages Corona. This unique has several variable attributes that affect its attractiveness. Sockets: 1-2, Resist All: 20-30%, Damage Resistance:10-15%, Defense Adder: 100-150
    Perfect: (2, 30%, 15, 150) Odds of a Crown of Ages being perfect are 1: 6,732
    Flawless (2, 29-30%, 15, 141-150)
    Flawed (1, 20-21%, 10, 100-109)
    Chipped (1, 20%, 10, 100)

Crown of Thieves Grand Crown. Life Leach: 9-12%, Enhanced Defense: 160-200%, Extra Gold: 80-100%
    Perfect: (12%, 200%, 100%) Odds of a Crown of Thieves being perfect are 1:918.
    Flawless (12%, 193-200%,any)
    Flawed (9%, 160-168%, any)
    Chipped (9%,160%, 100%)

Darksight Helm Basinet. Fire Resist: 20-40%, Base Defense: 175-184.
    Perfect: (40%, 184) Odds of a Darksight Helm being perfect are 1: 210.
    Flawless (37-40%, 183-184)
    Flawed (20-23%, 175-176)
    Chipped (20%, 175)

Duskdeep Full Helm. Duskdeep comes with 16 values of total defense; 45-60. But the odds of getting a Duskdeep with Def =60 are 1:231 because it only occurs when the two variabl;e modifers are at the tops of their ranges. The modifiers are Enhanced Defense: 30-50% and Defense Adder =10-20.
    Perfect: (50%, 20) Odds of a Duskdeep being perfect are 1: 231.
    Flawless (47-50%, 19-20)
    Flawed (30-33%, 10-11)
    Chipped (30%, 10)

Giant Skull Bone Visage. Sockets:1-2, Strength:25-35, Base defense: 100-157, Defense Adder: 250-320
    Perfect: (2, 35, 157, 320) Odds of a Giant Skull being perfect are 1: 90,596
    Flawless (2, 34-35, 147-157, 307-320)
    Flawed (1, 25-26, 100-110, 250-263)
    Chipped (1, 25, 100, 250)

Griffin’s Eye Diadem. Base Defense: 50-60, Defense Adder: 100-200
    Perfect: (60, 200) Odds of a Griffen’s Eye being perfect are 1: 231.
    Flawless (47-50%, 181-200)
    Flawed (50-51, 100-119)
    Chipped (50, 100)

Harlequin Crest Shako. Defense varies from 25-28. Odds of a perfect are 1:4.

Howltusk Great Helm. No variations!

Kira’s Guardian Tiara: Resist All: 50-70%, Base Defense 40-50; Defense Adder: 50-120
    Perfect: (70%, 50, 120) Odds of a Kira’s Guardian being perfect are 1:1,836.
    Flawless (67-70, 49-50, 107-120)
    Flawed (50-53, 40-41, 50-63)
    Chipped (50, 40, 50)

Nightwing’s Veil Spired Helm. Cold Skill Damage: 8-15%, Cold Absorb: 5-9, Dexterity 10-20, Enhanced Defense: 90-120%
    Perfect: (15%, 9, 20, 120%) Odds of a Nightwing’s Veil being perfect are 1: 13,640
    Flawless (15%, 9, 19-20, 115-120%)
    Flawed (8%, 5, 10-11, 90-95%)
    Chipped (8%, 5, 10, 90%)

Peasant Crown War Hat. Replenish Life: 6-12. Odds of a perfect Peasant Crown are 1:7

Rockstopper Sallet: Fire Resist: 20-50%, Lightning Resist: 20-40%, Cold Resist: 20-40%, Enhanced Defense: 160-200%
    Perfect: (50%, 40%, 40%, 200%) Odds of a Rockstopper being perfect are 1: 560,511
    Flawless (45-50%, 37-40%, 37-40%, 192-200%)
    Flawed (25-35%, 20-23%, 20-23%, 160-167%)
    Chipped (25%, 20%, 20%, 160%)

Stealskull Casque: Magic Find: 30-50, Enhanced Defense: 200-240%
    Perfect: (50, 240%) Odds of a Stealskull being perfect are 1: 861.
    Flawless (47-50, 233-240%)
    Flawed (30-33, 200-207%)
    Chipped (30%, 200%)

Steelshade Armet. All four attributes of Steelshade are variable. Mana Leach:4-8%, Fire Absorb: 5-11, Replenish Life: 10-18, Enhanced Defense: 100-130%
    Perfect: (8%, 11, 18, 130%) Odds of a Steelshade being perfect are 1: 5,859.
    Flawless (8%, 11,17-18, 125-130%)
    Flawed (4%, 5,10-11, 100-105%)
    Chipped (4%, 5, 10, 100%)

Tarnhelm Skull Cap. A good cap for the early game, it is better if its Magic Finds values are near perfect. Variable attributes are: Magic Find: 25-50%, Defense: 8-11
    Perfect: (50%, 11) Odds of a Tarnhelm being perfect are 1: 104.
    Flawless (46-49%, 11)
    Flawed (26-29%, 8)
    Chipped (25%, 8)

The Face of Horror Mask Defense varies from 34-52. Odds of a perfect are 1:19.

Undead Crown Crown. Attack Rating Vs. Undead: 50-100, Defense:34-52.
    Perfect: (100, 52) Odds of an Undead Crown being perfect are 1: 918.
    Flawless (any, 50-52)
    Flawed (any, 34-36)
    Chipped (50, 34)

Valkyrie Wing Winged Helm. Amazon Skills:+1-2, Mana after each Kill:2-4, Enhanced defense:150-200%
    Perfect: (2, 4, 200%) Odds of a Valkyrie Wing being perfect are 1:306.
    Flawless (2, 4, 191-199%)
    Flawed (1, 2, 151-159%)
    Chipped (1, 2, 150%)

Vampire Gaze Grim Helm Life Leach:6-8%, Mana Leach: 6-8%, Defense Reduction: 15-20%, Magic Damage Reduced: 10-15
    Perfect: (8%,8%, 20%, 15) Odds of a Vampire Gaze being perfect are 1: 324.
    Chipped (6%, 6%,15%,10)

Veil of Steel Spired Helm. No Variations!

Wormskull Bone Helm. Defense varies from 33-36. Odds of a perfect are 1:4.

4.3 Shields
    Blackoak Shield Luna. Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Bverrit Keep Tower Shield. Enhanced Defense: 180-220%, Durability: 140-160 Odds of a perfect are 1:861

Gerke’s Sanctuary Pavise: Resist All:20-30%, Damage Reduced:11-16, Magic damage Reduced: 14-18, Enhanced Defense:180-240%
    Perfect: (30%,16, 18, 240%) Odds of a Gerke’s Sanctuary being perfect are 1: 20,130
    Flawless (29-30%,16, 18, 229-240%)
    Flawed (20-21%, 11, 14, 180-191%)
    Chipped (20%, 11, 14, 180%)

Head Hunter’s Glory Troll Nest. Every modifier is variable on this elite unique shield. Base Defense: 158-173, Defense Adder: 320-420, Fire Resist: 20-30%, Poison Resist:30-40%, Life After Each Kill: 5-7, Defense vs. Missiles 300-350, Sockets: 1-3
    Odds of a Head Hunter’s Glory being perfect are 1: 89,751,024.
    Perfect: (173, 420, 30%, 40%, 7, 350, 3)
    Flawless (171-173, 401-420, 29-30%, 39-40%, 7, any, 3)
    Flawed (158-160, 320-339, 20-21%, 30-31%, 5, any, 1)
    Chipped (158, 320, 20%, 30%, 5, 320, 1)

Lance Guard Barbed Shield. Enhanced Defense varies from 70-120%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Lidless Wall Grim Shield. Mana after each Kill: 3-5, Enhanced Defense: 80-130%
    Perfect: (5, 130%) Odds of a Lidless Wall being perfect are 1: 153.
    Flawless (5, 121-129%)
    Flawed (3, 81-89%)
    Chipped (3, 80%)

Medusa’s Gaze Aegis. Enhanced Defense: 150-180%, Cold Resistance: 40-80%, Life Leach: 5-9%
    Perfect: (180%, 80%, 9%) Odds of a Medusa’s Gaze being perfect are 1: 6,355
    Flawless (175-180%, 73-80%, 9%)
    Flawed (150-155%, 40-47%, 5%)
    Chipped (150%, 40%, 5%)

Moser’s Blessed Circle Round Shield. Enhanced Defense varies from 180-220%. Odds of a perfect are 1:21

Pelta Lunata Buckler. Durability varies from 20-22. Odds of a perfect 1:3.

Radament’s Sphere Ancient Shield. Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Spike Thorn Blade Barrier. Physical Damage Reduction: 15-20%, Enhanced Defense: 120-150%
    Perfect: (20%, 150%) Odds of a Spike Thorn being perfect are 1: 186.
    Flawless (20%, 145-149%)
    Flawed (15%, 121-125%)
    Chipped (15%, 120%)

Spirit Ward Ward. Resist All: 30-40, Cold Absorb: 6-11, Block Chance:+20-30%, Enhanced Defense: 130-180%
    Perfect: (40, 11, 30%, 180%) Odds of a Spirit Ward being perfect are 1: 37,026
    Flawless (39-40%, 11, 29-30%, 171-180%)
    Flawed (30-31%, 6, 20-21%, 130-139%)
    Chipped (30%, 5, 20%, 130%)

Steelclash Kite Shield. Defense: 50-58, Durability: 45-50. Odds of a perfect: 1:54

Stormchaser Scutum. Enhanced Defense varies from 160-220%. Odds of a perfect are 1:61

Stormguild Large Shield. Defense: 52-54, Durability: 34-39. Odds of a perfect: 1:18

Stormshield Monarch.: Base defense varies from 136-151. Odds of a perfect are 1:16

Swordback Hold Spiked Shield. Defense varies from 43-51. Odds of a perfect are 1:9

The Ward Gothic Shield. Resist All: 30-50. Odds of a perfect: 1:21

Tiamat’s Rebuke Dragon Shield. Resist All: 25-35, Enhanced Defense: 140-200%
    Perfect: (35, 200%) Odds of a Tiamat’s Rebuke being perfect are 1: 671.
    Flawless (34-35, 189-200%)
    Flawed (25-26%, 140-151%)
    Chipped (25%, 140%)

Umbral Disk Small Shield. Defense: 45-46, Durability 26-31. Odds of a perfect: 1:12

Visceratuant Defender. Enhanced Defense varies from 100-150%. Odds of a perfect are 1:51

Wall of the Eyeless Bone Shield. Defense varies from 50-53. Odds of a perfect are 1:4

4.4 Gloves
    Bloodfist Heavy Gloves. Defense varies from 17-18. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Chance Guards Chain Gloves. Defense varies from 27-28. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Dracul’s Grasp Vampirebone Gloves. Life Leach: 7-10%, Life after each Kill: 5-10, Strength:10-15, Enhanced Defense: 90-120%
    Perfect: (10%, 10, 15, 120%) Odds of a Dracul’s Grasp being perfect are 1: 4,464
    Flawless (10%, 10, 15, 115-120%)
    Flawed (7%, 5, 10, 90-95%)
    Chipped (7%, 5, 10, 90%)

Frostburn Gauntlets. Enhanced Defense varies from 10-20%. Odds of a perfect are 1:11

Ghoulhide Heavy Bracers. Mana Leach: 4-5%, Enhanced Defense: 150-190% Odds of a perfect are 1:82

Gravepalm Sharkskin Gloves. Damage to undead: 100-200, Attack Rating Vs, Undead:100-200,, Enhanced Defense: 140-180%
    Perfect: (200, 200, 180%) Odds of a Gravepalm being perfect are 1: 418,241
    Flawless (181-200, any, 173-180%)
    Flawed (100-119, any, 140-147%)
    Chipped (100, 100, 140%)

Hellmouth War Gauntlets. Enhanced Defense varies from 150-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:51

Lava Gout Battle Gauntlets. Enhanced Defense: 150-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:51

Magefist Light Gauntlets. Defense varies from 24-25. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Soul Drainer Vambraces. Life Leach: 4-7%, Mana Leach: 4-7%, Enhanced Defense: 90-120%.
    Perfect: (7%, 7%, 120%) Odds of a Soul Drainer being perfect are 1: 496
    Flawless (7%, 7%, 115-119%)
    Flawed (4%, 4%, 91-95%)
    Chipped (4%, 4%, 90%)

Steelrend Ogre Gauntlets. Strength: 15-20, Enhanced Defense: 30-60%, Defense Adder: 170-210
    Perfect: (20, 60%, 210) Odds of a Steelrend being perfect are 1: 7,626
    Flawless (20, 55-60%, 203-210)
    Flawed (15, 30-35%, 170-177)
    Chipped (15, 30%, 170)

The Hand of Broc Leather Gloves. No Variations!

Venom Grip Demonhide Gloves. Enhanced Defense: 15-25%. Odds of a perfect are 1:11

4.5 Boots
    Goblin Toe Light Plated Boots. Defense varies from 24-25. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Gorerider War Boots. Enhanced Defense varies from 160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Gorefoot Heavy Boots. Defense varies from 24-25. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Hotspur Boots. No Variations!

Infernostride Demonhide Boots. Enhanced Defense: 120-150%, Extra Gold: 40-70%
    Perfect: (150%, 70%) Odds of an Infernostride being perfect are 1: 372.
    Flawless (145-149%, any)
    Flawed (120-125%, any)
    Chipped (120%, 40%)

Marrowwalk Boneweave Boots. Skeleton Mastery Skill: +1-2, Strength:10-20, Enhanced Defense: 170-200%
    Perfect: (2, 20, 200%) Odds of a Marrowwalk being perfect are 1: 682
    Flawless (2, 19-20, 195-200%)
    Flawed (1, 10-11, 170-175%)
    Chipped (1, 10, 170%)

Sandstorm Trek Scarabshell Boots. Poison Resist: 40-70%, Vitality: 10-15, Strength: 10-15, Enhanced Defense: 140-170%
    Perfect: (70%, 15, 15, 170%) Odds of a Sandstorm Trek being perfect are 1: 34,596
    Flawless (65-70%, 15, 15, 165-170%)
    Flawed (40-45%, 10, 10, 140-145%)
    Chipped (40%, 10, 10, 140%)

Shadow Dancer Myrmidon Greaves. Shadow Discipline Skills: 1-2, Dexterity:15-25, Enhanced Defense: 140-170%
    Perfect: (2, 25, 170%) Odds of a Marrowwalk being perfect are 1: 682
    Flawless (2, 24-25, 195-200%)
    Flawed (1, 15-16, 140-145%)
    Chipped (1, 15, 140%)

Silkweave Mesh Boots. Enhanced Defense varies from 150-190%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Tearhaunch Greaves. Defense varies from 60-63. Odds of a perfect are 1:4

Treads of Cthon Chain Boots: Enhanced Defense varies from 30-40%. Odds of a perfect are 1:11

War Traveler Battle Boots. Attacker takes damage: 5-10, Enhanced Defense: 150-190%
    Perfect: (10, 190%) Odds of a War Traveler being perfect are 1: 246.
    Flawless (10, 183-189%)
    Flawed (5, 141-147%)
    Chipped (5, 140%)

Waterwalk Sharkskin Boots. Life 45-65, Enhanced Defense:180-210%
    Perfect: (65, 210%) Odds of a War Traveler being perfect are 1: 651
    Flawless (62-65, 205-210%)
    Flawed (45-48, 180-185%)
    Chipped (45, 180%)

4.6 Belts
    Most belts have a single variation that affects defense. But watch out for String of Ears and Verdungo’s! Variations are fairly important to the value of those two belts.

Arachnid Mesh Spiderweb Sash. Enhanced Defense:90-120%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Bladebuckle Plated Belt. Defense varies from 51-54. Odds of a perfect are 1:4

Gloom’s Trap Mesh Belt. Enhanced Defense:120-150%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Goldwrap Heavy Belt. Defense: 34-36, Extra Gold: 50-80%. Odds of a perfect are 1:93

Lenymo Sash. No Variations!

Nightsmoke Belt. Defense varies from 22-24. Odds of a perfect are 1:3

Nosferatu’s Coil Vampirefang Belt. Life Leach: 5-7%, Defense:56-63. Odds of a perfect are 1:24

Razortail Sharkskin Belt. Defense:120-150%. Odds of a perfect are 1:31

Snakecord Light Belt. Defense varies from 14-15. Odds of a perfect are 1:2

Snowclash Battle Belt. Enhanced Defense:130-170%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

String of Ears Demonhide Sash. Physical Damage Reduction: 10-15%, Magic Damage Reduction: 10-15, Life Leach: 6-8%, Enhanced Defense:150-180%.
    Perfect: (15%, 15, 8%, 180%) Odds of a String of Ears being perfect are 1: 3,348
    Flawless (15%, 15, 8%, 175-179%)
    Flawed (10%, 10, 6, 175-179%)
    Chipped (10%, 10, 6, 150%)

Thundergod’s Vigor War Belt. Enhanced Defense:160-200%. Odds of a perfect are 1:41

Verdungo’s Hearty Cord Mithril Coil. Physical Damage Reduction: 10-15%, Replenish Life: 10-13, Vitality: 30-40, Maximum Stamina: 100-120, Enhanced Defense: 90-140%
    Perfect: (15%, 13, 40, 120, 140%) Odds of a Verdungo’s being perfect are 1: 282,744 !!
    Flawless (15%, 13, 39-40, any, 131-140%)
    Flawed (10%, 10, 13, 30-31, any, 90-99%)
    Chipped (10%, 10, 13, 30, 100, 90%)

18. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Why does the base defense vary?
    +170-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)

19. Quickdeath

Good point, Sedna, I've checked and I had a mistake.

In my text I have listed the Templar's Might Defense Mod as a Defense Adder (+170 to +200). As I've said, when there is no Enhanced Defense modifier, then the original range in the base defense needs to be included in the calculation of rarity.

But, a quick check to Arreat Summit reveals that the Templar's Might Mod is +170 to 220% Enhanced Defense as you indicate. Therefore the variability on base defense should not be used. So here is the corrected entry for Templar's Might:

Templar’s Might Sacred Armor. Well its not like this is a common drop in Diablo 2 V1.10. But this very rare unique has many variable modifiers.
    Offensive Aura Skills: 1-2
    Strength: 10-15
    Vitality: 10-15
    Enhanced Defense: 170-220%
    Defense vs. Missiles: 250-300
    Stamina: 40-50
    Note that Defense vs. Missiles and Stamina are defined as minor modifiers and their values are irrelevant when establishing criteria for flawless and flawed version.
    Perfect: (2,15,15, 220%, 300, 50) Odds of a Templar’s Might being perfect are 1:2,059,992
    Flawless (2,15,15,211-220%, 291-300, 49-50)
    Flawed (1,10,10, 170-179%, 250-259, 40-41)
    Chipped (1,10,10, 170%, 250, 40)

20. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Harlequin Crest Shako. Defense varies from 25-28. Odds of a perfect are 1:4.

1:4? Then why is a low shako on bnet worth 15 pgems, while a perfect shako is worth um+?

Defense: 98-141 (varies)
    Required Level: 62
    Required Strength: 50
    Durability: 12
    +2 To All Skills
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)
    Damage Reduced By 10%
    50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 To All Attributes
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)