Vanilla pure light sorc possible?

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Vanilla pure light sorc possible?

I am planning to create a pure lightning sorc in the near future, i did some digging for the mat threads and guides but almost all suggest/use insight polearm. As a vanilla player i don't have access to that item, and no, i won't turn to the 'dark side' :badteeth:

What do you suggest, tell me if you think i shouldn't even bother. Otherwise some gear/stat advise would be helpful. I am planning to make this char a countess runner, and i know about the advantages of CL/FO sorc but i will go for with single element anyways.

I am playing softcore, don't have a great wealth (griffon's) but doing some major mf'ing, so feel free to list the uber gear for light sorc as long as you give a relatively cheeper alternative.

How should i assign my stats, i assume 'null to nrg' setup won't work with this one.

One last thing, i guess cressent moon RW would be nice to consider, in what should i create it. Name your pick considering style points :wink3: If it is going to be my end-game wep, it will stay there even if i retire the char so no need to think of a future use for the RW.

Thanks for all the future replies
:content:

herobomberman

Diabloii.Net Member
1. honestly, dotn put points in nrg.

2. crescent moon is great, i made mine in an "axe".

3. just make sure you have the mana charms cranking, when i dont use insight ie in hell diff (cause i need my merc to hold something more hurty) i have about 250 extra mana in charm, with that, and say a bahmauamuta (or whatever its called)ring or p-saph armour, you will be fine, just carry some mana pots and let CL do its thing

Llathias

Banned
Many people seem to be overlooking the distinction between "possible", "feasible", "viable", "easy" and "playable without dying from boredom/frustration"...

To answer your question, yeah, everything's possible!

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
I'd say a phase blade for crescent moon if you want to use it for other characters (Tesladin?) and are going max block. Otherwise anything.

I have a CL/Orb. I mainly use the insight merc, but when he dies it is sustainable if you don't mid guzzling a few blues.

Ralic

Banned
I agree with the Phase blade. Makes for an all round good Crescent moon.

Hmm... I dont know, but reading this makes me want to make a Magic Arrow bowazon hehe.
Think I want a challenge... Any ideas on this?

--Kris--

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Magic arrow is interesting, because it becomes free (mana-wise) to use at level 13. The magic conversion thingy is certainly nice, combine that with some open-wounds, and you have a reasonable PI solution too...

Although, if you want style, you should see my HC freezing arrow amazon.

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
try and find my mat thread, I found spirt sword kinda crucial but i think with a good light orb anything is possible. One thing you do need is a merc that can take on hell ancients= reaperstoll/bonehew etc inisght isnt a must but it is usefull

Ralic

Banned
Hehehe cheers neumein. Its just Ive played the game since Diablo. Ive played them all. And one build I have never made is the MAzon. I have just had a break for a few months and I am wondering which type of Character I should make next. I want something that will be a challenge.

--Kris--

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I have a Mat thread here for my pure lightning sorceress. That said I believe I listed Inisght as the mercenary's weapon, but I didn't add that until somewhere near the end of Hell. Also have had a Bnet pure light sorceress and the merc didn't have Insight at all. Ergo if I can Mat both it's definitely possible for you to :grin:

Normally I try to assign the mercenary something with either large physical damage or crushing blow, Hone Sundan is my weapon of choice. Placing two Amn runes and a Shael in the sockets for the extra life leach and a Tal Rasha helm or VampireGaze for a hat will give the mercenary lots of life leach and do a good job of keeping him alive. For armors normally either Shaftstop or a Stone armor is all I ever use.

The Lightning tree is such a mana hog that you need a fair amount of mana to make it viable, imho. In regards to adding points to energy, I have to say I have always added some to increase my mana pool. That said I don't add alot, maybe 20-30 points total but the increased mana is helpful as I then wear Frostburn gloves and get a much nicer bonus from the +Mana% mod. I can never find many +mana charms which is why I go this route instead.

You will have trouble in Act III with all of the lightning immunes so the going will be slow but your mercenary should be able to pick up the slack.

I just realized that I made a pure lightning sorceress in the 6 of One, Half Dozen of the Other tournament. :duh: To see what I was wearing up until Act V Hell go here. Page 13 has my equipment info. If you are bored you could read through the rest of the thread to see where I encountered problems due to the low level equipment, just to give yourself an idea what you're going to run into. But you'll be twinkling I assume so it'll be easier for you. Just ignore the Insight my mercenary was wearing :rolleyes:

Just a note tartanasia, NacRuno is vanilla and therefore Spirit isn't available.

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I have a Mat thread here for my pure lightning sorceress. That said I believe I listed Inisght as the mercenary's weapon, but I didn't add that until somewhere near the end of Hell. Also have had a Bnet pure light sorceress and the merc didn't have Insight at all. Ergo if I can Mat both it's definitely possible for you to :grin:

Normally I try to assign the mercenary something with either large physical damage or crushing blow, Hone Sundan is my weapon of choice. Placing two Amn runes and a Shael in the sockets for the extra life leach and a Tal Rasha helm or VampireGaze for a hat will give the mercenary lots of life leach and do a good job of keeping him alive. For armors normally either Shaftstop or a Stone armor is all I ever use.

The Lightning tree is such a mana hog that you need a fair amount of mana to make it viable, imho. In regards to adding points to energy, I have to say I have always added some to increase my mana pool. That said I don't add alot, maybe 20-30 points total but the increased mana is helpful as I then wear Frostburn gloves and get a much nicer bonus from the +Mana% mod. I can never find many +mana charms which is why I go this route instead.

You will have trouble in Act III with all of the lightning immunes so the going will be slow but your mercenary should be able to pick up the slack.

I just realized that I made a pure lightning sorceress in the 6 of One, Half Dozen of the Other tournament. :duh: To see what I was wearing up until Act V Hell go here. Page 13 has my equipment info. If you are bored you could read through the rest of the thread to see where I encountered problems due to the low level equipment, just to give yourself an idea what you're going to run into. But you'll be twinkling I assume so it'll be easier for you. Just ignore the Insight my mercenary was wearing :rolleyes:

Just a note tartanasia, NacRuno is vanilla and therefore Spirit isn't available.
yep thats why i said a good light orb could be a possiblity or in fact if ur lucky u might find a wizzy on the way

xduckster

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm just here to voice my vote against a crescent moon phase blade.

Unless you are going max block. In which case, a phase blade is your best choice. Mine is in a crystal sword for the low reqs.

When I matted my light sorc I didn't have much in the way of 1337 gear. (Although now shes decked out with a euschas and a griffons ^_^)/brag
I only play vanilla so no insight of spirit.
If I remember correctly she was using:

shako
vipermagi
silkweave (Most rare item and not at all necessary)
up'd nightsmoke (for 16 slots)
magefist
lidless
wizzy[hel]/occy/(crescent moon added way into hell)

Use the jewlery for fcr and resists. Catch up on the resists and mana with charms.

Just guzzle zome pots, but not that that many if you have enough +mana charms.

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
I use mana shield with my pure light sorc and actually gain mana while spamming lightning.

Don't make my mistake of putting the points into ES instead of TK though... the only thing she's good for now is pit and cow running.

grossesexy

Diabloii.Net Member
I've actually been doing a untwinked and twinked light sorc to be able to compare them as I go. I have had basically no luck with my untwinked drops and she is having an extremely hard time making it through Act 3 nightmare.

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
thanks for all the answers, there are a couple of things that i don't get though

phase blade = only for max block ?? why is that the case, i have no intention of going max block but i would appriciate it if you enlighten me on this one

EDIT: dex required for phase blade =136, i get it now :azn:

When I matted my light sorc I didn't have much in the way of 1337 gear. (Although now shes decked out with a euschas and a griffons ^_^)/brag
why is euscha's is better than a cressent moon? i get that euscha's has +skills but isn't -LR much better? unless of course that euscha's has wrong stats on arreat submit and it should have -10-20% To LR rather than +10-20% To L damage. isn't +damage is sort of useless because of ligntning mastery?

I use mana shield with my pure light sorc and actually gain mana while spamming lightning.
I didn't get what you mean, doesn't both energy shield and ligtning spells drain the mana pool tremendously.

I've actually been doing a untwinked and twinked light sorc to be able to compare them as I go. I have had basically no luck with my untwinked drops and she is having an extremely hard time making it through Act 3 nightmare.
My question regarding this is how lower resist is able to break lightning immunities. I heard that LI monsters are somewhat breakable and a LR wand can do miracles, need to check this with arreat to confirm.

Thanks to all repliers :cloud9:

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
1. phase blade = only for max block ?? why is that the case, i have no intention of going max block but i would appriciate it if you enlighten me on this one
Phase blades have a high dex requirement (but low strength requirement.) So, if you are already pumping dex for max block, the dex requirement doesn't matter.

3. I didn't get what you mean, doesn't both energy shield and ligtning spells drain the mana pool tremendously.
That's what I thought too. :grin:

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
My understanding is that LI monsters are the easiest to break, with FI and CI monsters being harder/impossible to break. So using Lower Resist on LI monsters will be very useful for this build.

Llathias

Banned
Note that Crescent Moon will be incredibly effective in combination with a LR wand against immunes, as it'll more than double your damage once the immunity is broken (but high resistance remains as LR works at 1/5 effectiveness against immunes)!

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Mana shield only drains mana if you get hit. Because all of your points go into energy (and you likely select gear that gives you more mana) you regain mana at a TREMENDOUS rate. I don't use an insight, but she has so much mana that it's almost impossible to run out. Spaming CL barely nudges my mana down.

Now, of course, if you get hit is when you get into trouble. This is why I said put points into TK instead of ES, because hard points in TK synergizes ES so that you loose less mana per hit. Even without TK I can still run Baal if I'm careful with gloams.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Mana shield only drains mana if you get hit. Because all of your points go into energy (and you likely select gear that gives you more mana) you regain mana at a TREMENDOUS rate. I don't use an insight, but she has so much mana that it's almost impossible to run out. Spaming CL barely nudges my mana down.

Now, of course, if you get hit is when you get into trouble. This is why I said put points into TK instead of ES, because hard points in TK synergizes ES so that you loose less mana per hit. Even without TK I can still run Baal if I'm careful with gloams.
I assume you have more mana than life. How do you deal with the blood mana curse that, among others, Baal likes to put on you?