Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vanilla - changes applied

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Clavdivs, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Diabloii.Net Member

I, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, The God, decided to post following question:

Does anyone still play vanilla, and what are related experiences with it?

The God refused to pay, in divine opinion, the extortion fee for buying RoS at release, and opted instead to (potentially) do so *when* and *if* the game reach divine standards (the 'extortion' applies to 'we will somehow try to fix this problem existing from the launch, but you'll pretty much have to buy RoS, even for slightest improvements which really *should* be there from the start, and are entirely due our fault - and, of course, we want another 60% of initial game price for it' kind of arrogant attitude shown many times in recent years by Blizzard - former games pretty much allowed player to keep with vanilla, cause it was lacking-but-playable).

Not buying RoS was entirely matter of divine principles - The God 'invested' in not less than four copies of vanilla, and even now has more than enough money from AH on account to buy it - anyone ascended to divinity can easily understand the power of godly convictions and principles.

Now the lot of time has passed. Divine being, of course, have seen and played RoS at friends, seeing certain improvements. The God also created the new vanilla character and have played it - but found levelling is still the most compelling part of the game...

The divine question is:

What *worthy* additions does vanilla have *now*, compared to the original-updated-to-2.1, if any? Does anyone play vanilla still, and what (new) features do they use, again - if any? All that, of course, apart from itemization changes... except in a way of posting unreasonable and debilitating *limits* vanilla has, compared to RoS - the ones that basically renders change unusable or unavailable completely in vanilla, and not in RoS?

The God will bestow a minor blessing on mortals with constructive feedback!

The God is, naturally, beyond love/hate, and is not creating a hate-thread - the question is simple - is it worth to play vanilla again, and perhaps get more favourable in its regard (which can potentially lead to buying RoS - perhaps it's worth mentioning that most of die-hard D3/RoS lovers from divine circles reduced playtime greatly in recent time).

Clavdivs, The God

2. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I don't know of anyone who still plays vanilla and don't believe any updates have been made to it since patch 2.1. If you think D2 vanilla is lacking-but-playable then there is no reason not to continue with D3 vanilla.

Personally I did not enjoy D2 classic very much, only beat it with a sorceress on normal difficulty and then stopped playing. I became a fan only after I purchased LoD when it was on sale. Everything that made the game fun was introduced in the Xpack: runes, runewords, jewels, charms, equippable mercs, exceptional and elite uniques /set items.

If you refuse to buy RoS because you think the contents it introduced should have been added to D3 classic for free then I salute you for the stength of your conviction :)

As a mere mortal I have limited free time for vidoe games, I think RoS is a lot of fun and well worth spending my valuable time playing.

Thanks for reading!

Clavdivs likes this.
  3. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Diabloii.Net Member

I, Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, The God, was perhaps unclear to some point.

Divine intellect was primarily referring to games like WC3:RoC, which, indeed, still has a devoted community - perhaps not caused by TFT faults, but rather differences in playstyle - a huge difference in usage of casters (caused by huge buff to dispell introduced in TFT) or lack of certain combos which irritate a number of players greatly (BM+SH comes to mind, or more recent increase of Warden usage) - some players, owning a TFT or not, chose to play RoC (The God not being among them, but still). This fangroup exists still, despite obvious improvement TFT brought.

Players liking WC3 in general opposed to SC2 also comes to divine mind, despite those being two different games. Until SC2 release, SC1 community was also strong - players simply liked non-RPG approach SC1 offered (or the opposite, in RoC/TFT case).

Even playing D2 vanilla is radically different than playing LoD - not to the point that the former had an actual devoted fanbase The God knows of, but acceptable as the alternative pastime.

[Both examples weren't a main player choice, but were 'off' alternatives offering a limited fun to players, if the main game became less interesting]

D3 and D2 are largely different games, causing more than enough bitter discussions.

If the D3 vanilla was developed in a somewhat different manner - keeping old-style Inferno comes to mind, with hard-limits opposed to self-imposed ones which MP-X or Torment-X offers, therefore giving a defined goal in D2-style - things might have gone in a different direction for vanilla.

Same applied to certain D2:LoD patches (synergies being disliked by a number of players, who opted for playing a patch without them). The reason behind those decisions and preferences may be questionable, but exists nevertheless, having an appeal to certain player groups - unlike in D3, where everything is dictated by enforcing always-online politic. However, even limited percentage of the fanbase once measured millions (whether this is still the case is unknown even to heavenly being, mainly due to lack of interest) could and should be important to a caring company - like Blizzard used to do (recent neglect of bnet-classic throws a shadow on once monolithic company policy - unique, for the truth's sake).

So rephrasing: has anyone found a reason good enough to play vanilla, rather than RoS? A goal actually interesting enough to pursue in vanilla, instead of farming for the sake of it on pre-made maps, with respec at will? Vanilla-ladders doesn't count...

Divine being also has highly limited game-time per day, but unfortunately doesn't find either vanilla or RoS inspiring enough.

I, Clavdivs, The God, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, since no solution is offered (if any exists, for that matter), divine being won't bestow a minor blessing this time. However, due to post containing many valid points, The God decided to increase the reward for finding the satisfying answer to a medium blessing or even a major one, depending on quality of answer given.

4. Apendecto

Apendecto Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know what the hell you are saying, but I only have vanilla and don't play it. I also don't want to buy ROS because I'm holding out for the magically $5 sale. Honestly, this game *for me* doesn't have the hooks that D2 did.