Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Vampire Gaze... to go eth or not to go eth.

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by FrostBurn, Sep 20, 2006.

1. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Vampire Gaze... to go eth or not to go eth.

I just found this:
    Vampire Gaze
    Grim Helm
    Defense: 378
    Durability: 21 of 21
    Required Strength: 48
    Required Level: 41
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0xeffeb2f4
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    Magic Damage Reduced by 14
    Damage Reduced by 19%
    Adds 6-22 cold damage over 4 seconds
    6% Life stolen per hit
    8% Mana stolen per hit
    15% Slower Stamina Drain
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Not a bad roll, although I would prefer to switch around the life steal % with the mana steal %. This will obviously go on a merc, probably an Act 2 NM Might merc.

I've got several more non-eth Vamp Gazes (252 defense). At least one of them is perfect with 20% PDR and 8% life steal. Here's the question:

Everything else being equal, which one is better for my merc? The eth has 1% less PDR and 2% less life steal compared to my perfect non-eth one. In order of priority, my hunch is:
    1. Life Steal
    2. PDR%
    3. Defense

If that's correct, then I should go with the non-eth one, since the eth only offers an additional 378 - 252 = 126 def, which is nothing. Have I read this right?

2. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

If this is the only sorce of Life steal I'd be afraid it was kinda weak. But if he's got some good IAS and damage, then it could be plenty. (might merc probably has good damage I'm thinking)

*sorry not in the mood to get more elaborate tonight. Calculator and brain are still smoking from that sorc comparison.

3. FrostBurn

Ok, I'll flesh it out. Might merc is also wearing Guardian Angel socketed with an Um, The Reaper's Toll with at least 12% life leech socketed with a Shael, and the Vamp Gaze will be socketed with a 15% resist all jewel or an Um.

His attack speed will not be brilliant, but thems the breaks if I want a merc with 90 resist all to help my Javazon take down Souls in the WSK.:rolleyes:

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Reapers + Vamp Gaze should be plenty of leech, even at less than perfect %'s. I run with just one or the other and do fine. My goal is usually 10% total life leech. With a might merc your damage is likely a bit higher anyway, so that means a slightly lower leech% would work.

You could look into an IAS/Resist jewel for the gaze, but that gets pretty expensive/hard to find. I do think it'd be worth it for a find a good as this though. IAS and total damage will impact his leeching.

5. FrostBurn

C'mon folks. Your reply would barely take a moment. I just need confirmation.

6. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

I'm thinking you're right. Then again, I'm thinking the differences on all three
    points are small enough to not really matter. I'd probably go by looks.

7. FrostBurn

Thank you Delreich. Although I didn't stop to think that the difference between all three is small enough to not really matter. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

8. leetserv

leetserv IncGamers Member

I'd take the eth one for style points. By the way, i found an 8% 20% eth one the other day :)

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I would go non-eth for the extra pdr and ll. A few def points here or there is nothing and I don't fancy spending 50k on a style point.

10. k/t

k/t Banned

That merc should be using Infinity.

11. FrostBurn

Really? :tongue:

*goes looking for duped Bers*

12. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

I would concider upping the eth one (beware it may very well end up with lower defense than you started with) and hope for a good roll. If you get a perfect or close roll, then the defense starts to mean something. If you get a low roll, then just toss it, or start your eth grail ;)

13. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules IncGamers Member

I think your merc will be find. Whats his damage hes doing? If its above 5000 damage and u got 12% on his wepon thats 600 life per hit. Thats a ton of life steal. But i know im forgetting something. Someone plz tell me if i am.

14. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

You're forgetting that leech is cut to 1/3 in hell, so that's 200 life per hit, which is much less impressive. Also, some monsters don't allow as much leech as others, or some not at all.

15. Demonic Angel Rules

Demonic Angel Rules IncGamers Member

O ya thats right. I knew I was forgetting something. But still thats 200 a hit unless u hit a monster with drain res. But u should be killing faster then the monsters should be hitting. I only have life leech on my merc incase I hit a immune. But i guess the more the better.