Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Value and Trading?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Mythren, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Mythren

Mythren IncGamers Member

Value and Trading?

Okay...this doesn't have much to do with Necromancers, but I figure, "Hey...I like them guys, and they're informative!"....so here goes:

Is there a place I can look up items/runes/ect. and their relative value? I have NO IDEA what the value of anything is...and I'm not finding an easy way other than trial/error to figure it out.

Recent situation: My cousin and I play together all the time, him being an Amazon - well, his bow sucked. Really, really bad. So I went out searching for a Goldstrike Arch for him...found one, traded 2 Jo runes for it. Was this bad? Good? Horribly stupid? Awesome deal? I dunno...

Again, sorry for bugging necromancers about a non-necro topic, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction to post things like this?

-Mythren

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Besides the Trade Forums I have no idea. And I doubt the helpfulness of those as well.

Trading is something that scares me. All those people yelling WUG! WUG! WUG! WUG! WUG! WUG! WUG! WUG! and then they go NT! NT! NT! NT! N00bN00bN00bN00b N00bN00b NT! :eek: :scared:

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

My favorite is :show show show...and they won't show you anything until you do first.

It's like they are the bomb...and you are to be at their mercy or something.

HoS

4. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

There hasn't been a Jo since like 1.04 i think

5. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

if u missed a key and meant to type ko ruen i think u got ripped...i could be wrong though

6. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

I hate trading on bnet one of my typical encounters goes as follows.

bnet_jerk: (opens trade window) WUG
    me: what ya need?
    bnet_jerk: WUG!
    me: i got loads of nice stuff, but if you give me an idea of what ya want i could show you things along those line
    bnet_jerk: WUG!!!!!
    me: LISTEN TO ME I HAVE MULES LOADED WITH STUFF SO YOUR GONNA HAVE TO GIVE ME SOME IDEA OF WHAT YOU NEED!
    bnet_jerk: Show me something u got
    me: (shows him SS)
    bnet_jerk: (puts up some decent item, but one thats no where near SS in value and hits accept)
    me: (exits trade window)
    bnet_jerk: n00b! SS is worth much less than (insert crappy item) ur getting a good deal

5 minutes later
    bnet_jerk: (opens trade window) WUG!!!
    me: (closes trade window, leaves game)

7. xanth

xanth Guest

haha...excellent rendition of a butthole trader..on the trade forums, there used to be an up to date trade value list but now it seems to be wrong..i know 290s are with more than 32020s now and an ist=5x290s (from what ive seen a lot of in the trade channels) and a zak is not equal to a ss and a ss is about 1 or 2 290s...

8. timay_006

timay_006 IncGamers Member

This always happens....i always ask the same thing you did, like, "what are you looking for?" and they just say Wug, and i put out the only 'decent' item on my lvling character(i always tranfer to my mules). and they exit the trade window, call some hurtful names :embarrass: and leave the game....

trading sucks, i just stick wit MFing now

p.s. i have a cuz im trying to get ot come to east, but he doesn't wanna leave his mav's bow behind (but i could easily mf something around WF's value) :confused:

9. Mythren

Mythren IncGamers Member

Hmmm...I think it's an Io rune, not a Jo rune. My bad...

10. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

What language was that?

That's how new I am. I have no idea what the values are either. It appears that things are pretty lax from what I've seen, probably due to the duping that's gone on previously. I havn't done too much trading myself. One thing that I like to do is help out people who are lower in level than I am, especially if I have something that does me absolutely no good but might help them.

I picked up a Spire of Lazarus staff and traded it off to a level 24 sorc for a few amethysts. I know it's worth a lot more but the staff didn't help me and the amethysts will help me make a couple of caster amulets.

The only real trading that I've done I have no idea if it was anything close to fair. I traded a Magefist light gauntlets for an Io rune. I rarely ever used them and then it was only for the faster cast rate. Whether it was a fair trade I have no idea but I was 1/3 of the way to my new White wand.

Not long after I traded a Shael for a Dol. I had the shael for a couple of days but hadn't seen any rune words that really got me excited using the Shael. While shopping the Spire around I noticed somebody had created a game titled NeedShael, or something like that, so I popped in. The sorc wanted the Shael (and not the Spire) so I asked for a Dol and they agreed. The requirement levels are less than 5 apart so I figure it was a pretty good trade and now I've got the runes for my White wand. All I need now is a suitable wand.

If somebody does know where we can get realitic trade values, with or without dupe adjustments, please let us know.

*ADDITIONALLY* Another off topic question for you folks. When a X# Stones of Jordan have been sold to merchants message displays, what is the best way to try and get ahold of one? Do you gamble for them or do you need to hit one of the specific bosses to get a chance at them?

11. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Diablo 2X has a barter economic system, which means there are no set values for any items. The closest point at which D2 ever had a real "currency" was back in the pre-Expansion v1.06-1.07 days when everyone wanted and traded with Stones of Jordan. However, that wasn't because the SOJ was real currency but because the SOJ was always in high demand. The SOJ dropped from effective "currency" status (as did duel leech lances and Iceblink) with the release of the Expansion, since other items were of equal value and competed with the SOJ in demand.

A barter system creates problems for us because, in real life, we live in a currency systems. In a barter system, the values of things traded depends entirely on how much someone wants them and not in their absolute value in a universal and stable currency. In short, the value of an item is based on its use value for each individual character. Now, some items are nearly always useful, such as Harlequin's Crest (Spelling?) and so are always valuable. On the other hand, trading an Arm of Leoric to a Barbarian is trickier. If the player using the Barb doesn't like playing as a Necro (perish the though), then he likely will not trade anything valuable for it. Now, let's say the other player, the one offering Leo, is a necro. He likely expects something valuable for the wand because it is useful for Necros.

Where does that leave our traders? Well, it's never this simple. The Barb may know someone who wants the wand but may want to take advantage of the Necro by offering something to the Necro the Necro views as less valuable than the Leo he is offering. Let's say the Barb is offering a Thul rune for the Arm of Leoric. Most would say that the Thul rune is hopelessly less valuable than the Arm of Leoric. However, let us suppose that, after doing 100 Countess runs, you've gotten all the high-end runes to Heart of the Oak, but the Thul eludes you. Frustrated beyond belief and unwilling to do yet another countess run, the necro gives in to the Barb, and makes the trade. The Barb later trades the Leo for Storm Shield later on. Did the necro get screwed?

Well, no. Remember, the Thul, for you at that moment, was worth the Leo. And, for that matter, the Leo, which has absolutely no use for the Barb himself, proved useful to the Barb in its ability to get him a nifty shield. Furthermore, when you traded the Leo for the Thul, you actually didn't just get the Thul--you got the Heart of the Oak Runeword. Now, when you look at it that way, trading the Leo for the Heart of the Oak is a decent trade.

What we learn is that the value of a item is based on its relative use, or the value of the item at that moment for the player. That is why you usually don't find helpful guides on the value of items. The one on the trade forum only includes those items like Shako that are always useful. The currencies now used are small charms that are useful, the 3/20/20 variety having replaced the 290 psn dmg after the 1.10 patch. Perhaps gold was supposed to be a currency when D2 was originally released, but that is obviously not nor was it really ever the case. The stores in D2 only in very particular instances provided opportunities for getting good items, but gold is easy to get, unlike Shakos, making gold really something for buying tps, repairing weapons, and raising deceased mercenaries. All of those can be done by selling two or three magical orbs with inherent bonuses.

A final example from my own experience: I traded a +1 to Summoning Skills charm the other day for Sigon's Helm. Most people would view me as being completely ripped off. The truth is that I have a lot of these, and my summoner has so many charms that he can't pick up a 2x4 item when he's in public games often because I have accidentally picked up a Fulminating Potion that blocks my available inventory space (causing me to swear very loudly). This happened to me so many times, I just decided to trade out a charm for an item that I inexplicably could not find, Sigon's helm (some people complain about finding nothing but Isenharts and Sigons on this channel--who are these people? I keep finding Irathras and Infernals, but just the completely useless ones). That completed the Sigons set on my struggling low lvl wind Druid. Now, I can play him again (I NEED TORNADO! I HATE LEVEL 22!), and this guy has a charm he really wanted. If he goes off and trades that for something like ViperMagi or something, then he got a good deal... but his good deal doesn't detract from the particular use value I am currently getting out of my newly completed Sigon's set.

Remember the value of an item is based on a PARTICULAR character's needs and NOT the needs of others. Until Blizzard introduces DiabloBucks, we have to live with our barter economy, SOJs and Isenharts, Io runes and Thul runes alike. :D

12. chien

chien IncGamers Member

Yeah, definately dependent on what's the need. For me, I just can't find Trang's glove for my poisonmancer. I finally trade the razor's edge (unique tomahwak) for it from a barb. It seemed strange to use a elite unique to trade a exception set item (heavy bracers). But, for me, it is really worth it. I've try to MF using my sorc or skellymancer but just can't find one. Well, after that, a nice guy give me trang's shield for free :) He said he had too many of it, LOL. ( I can't find the shield,either). See.. there are not always jerks in pub trade games :) maybe, I am lucky.. but hey, now my poisonmancer is doing pretty good in NM Baal games (lvl 71 now) with four pieces of the set (belt, glove, shiled and armor). One time, I help a zon to rush ACT2.. HE is amazed how quick my PN can kill :) That makes me feel good :clap:

Chien