Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Valk immunity, how to tell?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Fuzzier, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Valk immunity, how to tell?

Arreat Summit amazon skill page:
    My question: is there anyway to tell whether the Valk is immune to certain element or not? Does the color of the Valk matter?

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Does hovering the Unsummon cursor over your valk work?

I've tried it on my clay golem on my necro once, he had Salvation aura on him and was immune to Fire, Cold and Lightning.

Try that. Select the "Unsummon" skill on the right tab, and just hover the cursor over your valk. It should display her life bar and any immunities up the top.

3. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Oh, I've never noticed "Unsummon" button has such sweet function (usually I regard it useless), thanks a lot!

4. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Oh, no! I just tried, hovering Unsummon cursor on Valk doesn't show anything about immunity, just a red gauge (I don't know what it is either).

5. Eilo Rytyj

hmmm... well, Valk resists are based on the skill level and level of decoy synergy. A level 20 valk with 1 decoy prereq will have 42 base resist all (20*2 per Valk lvl + 1*2 per Decoy synergy). Each level the valk gains +2 resist all, and each point in decoy adds 2 resist, capped at 85% total. Resist mods on gear is then added. It's most likely that your valk's base resist and any random mods on her gear don't add up to 100%.

The only sure-fire way to properly test this is to cast a level 23+ valk with full 20 in decoy synergy. Base valk resist is capped at 85%, but 15% resist from gear on top of that SHOULD mean immunity.

6. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

This does not work. I have a level 51 Valk right now, with maxed Decoy synergy. I've cast 20 in a row, and so far no immunities. The chances of not spawning a valk with 15% of any res on any of those is below unthinkable, so I think we can dismiss the "use the Unsummon skill" as a means of checking immunity.

As far as I can tell, the only way to check it to hit the Valk with something of that element. If she gets hurt, she's not immune.

7. Fuzzier

Fuzzier IncGamers Member

Level 51 Valk!!! Cool!
    "Hit the Valk with something of that element", but a lvl51 Valk is probably invincible:rolleyes: !

8. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Yes, I agree with this. There have been previous threads where people have said 'use the Unsummon skill' to check for immunities, but I never commented as I wasn't altogether sure if it worked or not.

Not too long ago I tested some zons, and one of them had a maxed Valkyrie. I noticed that some of the Valk spawns weren't being poisoned by the WSK Level 2 Horror Mages, but when I 'Unsummoned', there was no 'Immune to Poison'.

So yeah, the only way that I know of is to watch the Valk's life bar vs the type of damage she's receiving.

9. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

I suppose that one more intelligent method would be to check it's gear mods via the color they appear as. RTB had a huge post a while back showing what certain colors meant which mods. I'll try and find it.

EDIT: Found it.

10. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Holy crap. I just spend 10 minutes spawning valks. I finally found one with a Black spear-weapon. Per RTB, that means it's either Ferocious or Cruel. I gotta say, that Valk rapes everything that moves. She does, quite obviously, more damage than any other Valk i've seen. I saw her take Hell Radament down to 1/2 life in 2 hits. That's nuts! Cruel War Pikes ftw!

Also, I just found that none of the mods RTB mentions include resists. I really don't think there is any good way to find out a Valk's immunity...too bad.

11. FrostBurn

The moral of the story..... always get a Valkyrie.

12. Eilo Rytyj

Are you sure about that Frosty? I'm gonna make a Spearazon no less, without a Valkyrie... I'm a little crazy, but I know that in the end, I will have no regrets. Heck, I may even have to take on the Uber Brothers with her, who knows?

13. FrostBurn

I was just being a bit dry, Eilo. :laugh:

Yup, please don't get a Valk for your Spearie. :wink3:

14. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

I think the best mod on a valk is ctc amp damage. :grin:

Craziest mod I ever saw was a ctc hydras, looked quite impressive.

I keep hoping bliz will add a way to look at valk equpment in a future patch. Hope springs eternal!:rolleyes:

15. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Bizarre. Minions aren't supposed to receive the effects of Salvation. It would be understandably overpowered, since minions don't receive a resist penalty based on the difficulty level, and since minions don't have a maximum resistance cap. In other words, a 100% resist-all Salvation would make all minions immune to all elemental damage except for Poison. As I said, it would be very overpowered, which is why Blizzard decided not to allow minions to get the Salvation aura.

16. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

There is a small bug with using the Unsummon skill to display the immunities of minions. IIRC It doesn't take into account the resistance boni given by the skill and its synergies.

SSoG: They aren't? :shocked:

17. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Wait, so they aren't SUPPOSED to...but DO they?

18. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

They're not supposed to, no. I haven't spent much time in a party, so I've never tested this out for myself. I also know that mercs should be receiving Salvation just fine, because they *ARE* affected by the resistance penalties, and they have resistance caps.

If you tell me that you see the Salvation graphics underneath the feet of Skeletons/Mages/Golems/Wolves/Bears/Spirits/Valks/Decoys/Shadows, then I'll believe you, because as I said... I don't play in parties often, so I've never actually tested it out. I would recommend that you run some tests before drawing any conclusions. Like I said, if any minion was REALLY feeling the effects of a +100% Resistance Salvation, then that minion should be totally and absolutely elementally immune. Hang out in a pack of Gloams and see if the summons go down. If they do, then it's just a display bug. If they don't, then you have yourself one radically overpowered glitch there.

19. Eilo Rytyj

hmm... maybe i'm imagining things. SSoG i think you are right about the whole Salvation+minion debacle.

However, i really do think i remember seeing a clay golem immune to fire, cold and lightning at some time, using the unsummon skill to check.

I know that clay golems can be immune to cold fairly easily, since they have an innate cold resist (and physical resist for that matter) which Summon Resist can get to 100+ easily.

It may have been under different conditions than Salvation, though... (my imagination? lol) or it could have been my merc... my brain hurts.

20. Ava

Ava IncGamers Member

You can use enchant to check for immunities. Try using a demon limb, set your skill to Enchant (charges) and hover over the valk.