Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Valk 2 max or not to max?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Jin_182, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Jin_182

Jin_182 IncGamers Member

Valk 2 max or not to max?

Is it worth maxing Valk? I know that it will gain items as u put more points into it, but it seems like a waste of points, since valk is nothing more than bait! Also im pretty sure that the mana cost goes up.
    Does Valk actually kill things with the item bonuses.

P.s. Im planning to make a "Glass Cannon" (thnx 2 bakerking)!

2. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Lvl 17 is when it gets the nice rares yes? I would try for that with +skill. They're great for taking the heat off of you from some of the tougher monsters.

3. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

shoot for slvl 17 base

as a glass canon, you'll find that mana won't be a problem, less recast = more dmg output, and stronger valk = less recast = less chance of getting killed because mosnters are goign after the bait

don't forget to use decoy once a while

4. Mike777

Mike777 IncGamers Member

but, does the high level valk actualy kill stuff in hell ?

kill things well ?

and how high a level should it be to do this good killing if possible ?

5. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

My level 20 Valk with my level 85 Might merc sure do kill stuff, and together they probably account for 25% of total kills and a lot of "assists".

Pumping more points into your Valk and the Decoy increases the hit points and the resist all of the Valk by 2% per level. Points in your Valk are seldom wasted since you are always using one unlike some other skills where you have to use one or the other. I like :love: my big fat lady to waddle up to those monsters and skewer them good and proper :teeth:

6. Krunch_Kidney

Krunch_Kidney IncGamers Member

It's an important question and one that seems to be always answered with an automatic lvl 17. I know valk gets a warpike at that lvl, but honestly I have a lvl 17 valk with a might merc and they don't seem to kill much. A valk's primary function is as a meat shield, so I wonder if you couldn't get away with fewer points. That's a lotta points to waste just so your valk can occasionally kill something.

7. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

I'd say pumping Decoy for the +20% life per level could be more interesting after all... some tests maybe?

8. Pantha

Pantha IncGamers Member

Valkyries

Just killed Bael on Nightmare with my L70 strafazon, L69 merc (Normal Act2 defiance) and L23 valk. She has 17 skill points, the rest come from items I keep in the stash - put 'em on, cast her, take 'em off. She runs to just under 2.5k hitpoints and is not only as good a killer as my merc but she is one helluva lot less fragile than the merc. She was in there tanking Bael whilst I was blasting him, and not only did she keep him occupied, she did serious damage to him.

And I wouldn't have got to him without her assistance. She took the brunt of two of the Ancients whilst the merc and I were killing the other, and she came out with two thirds life still even after that little brawl. Yeah, she isn't a BIG damage dealer, but by heavens, going into a big battle without her makes me feel very nervous.

Synergies...I have L1 decoy.

Pump the valk till L17 with or without extras. You will never regret it.

Pantha

9. jz2323

jz2323 IncGamers Member

Absolutely. Valk was the first skill I maxed up. It made fighting all the bosses in nightmare extremely easy. Duriel was a snap.

Its especially important if you don't have an all powerful bow when you get to hell like a wf.

With my valk maxed I was able to kill diablo solo in hell with just a plain buriza.

10. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

depends on your build and how many spare stat points you have.

most ppl would agree that 17 (inc + skills is where to aim for), but with builds that aren't too skill point heavy - ie furyzon - put spare points into valk/decoy (i found this better than going poison as backup for LI's).

11. Cybot

Cybot IncGamers Member

It would definitely be dependant on your setup.

I have ITD, knockback, chill, slow down monsters by 45% and my merc casts Decrep. So my lvl 1 valk does fine most of the time.
    I have 37 skill points left over at lvl 86 and I am still cautious about putting any points in to Valk because I believe that the Valk only needs to last the duration of her casting delay... it's just another decoy.

12. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

i didn't put anything in valkire, i maxed strafe, working on maxing penetrate for ar, maxed emoliton arrow and exploding arrow for PIs
    my zon is lvl 83
    i use a might merc with gaze and shaft, with ethereal spire, bout to upgrade to a bonehew, when i get enought str...

i don't have any problem in the areas i play, mainly i mf in flayer and the pit...

so i'd say depending on your build, it could be helpful, just depends on where you want to play with your zon
    wether or not its worth spending points on is up to your style of play as well

13. thetrueavatar

thetrueavatar IncGamers Member

Just a question. Why everybody use Valk since we can have a merc and so keep precious point for skill? Is valk really better than merc?

14. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

They're about the same really, but the mercenary you have to equip yourself and when he wanders off you cannot recast him. It also costs a lot of money if you have to constantly raise him (when he hasn't got good gear yet).

Overall I wouldn't put the valkyrie to level 17 unless you have good +skills or if you have absolutely no idea where to put remaining skillpoints. That tends to happen with people when they think maxing a skill without its synergy won't do well enough, so they go for valkyrie which is less skillpoints and will do very nice damage.
    A valkyrie will already do good damage and last quite long in hell when she's only level 8 when she gets an exceptional spear. At level 17 she'll get an elite spear and will be a very strong tank, but she doesn't really need it. Just recast her more often when she seems to dies out, or cast decoys next to her to relief the tension. A low level valkyrie will then have just as much potential as a high level valkyrie.

15. Mike777

Mike777 IncGamers Member

probably my last question on this subject....

anyone have a link to, or can post, the valk levels and what they get (like the elite war pike, etc) ....what the benefits of each are, whether magical damage physical etc... ?

i keep hearing of getting these items for her, and would like to see a chart or something showing the specifics at each level break, and what the advantages are

thanks

16. adddm

adddm IncGamers Member

Please check this thread. It contains the Valkyrie's Equipment by Level and Arreat Summit details as well.

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=127177

17. adddm

adddm IncGamers Member

I put 17 skills points in Valkyrie and then found/bought a +3 Passive Gloves, +3 Passive Amulet, +2 Passive Circlet and 2 +1 Passive GCs. Thus, I can, in town, cast her at level 27 to maximize her equipment. I find she almost never dies and, with my Act 2 Freeze Merc, are quite effective in both tanking and killing.

18. Mike777

Mike777 IncGamers Member

cool....

thanks for all the info/links etc everyone

one last question then i can't immagine there will be more questions after this....

the item listing that the valk can get .... i checked arreat summit out and the thread link....

can you actualy SEE what she spawned with ?....as in SEE what exactly the "rare" amulet does etc ?

maybe i'm missing something...

this just makes it so valk's come out different each time ?....i wouldn't mind such a thing, just wondering if you can actualy view what she has in some way

thanks ...time for sleep :sleep:

19. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

No, you can't see their equipment. What she spawns with is basically random, but the quality of her gear is related to her level. Spear and armor spawn in colors similar to the ones you can buy yourself. If you see her with a red armor, it may very well be an armor that increases her life... although it may also give her faster hit recovery, which is a darker shade of red.

20. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Valkyries can spawn with rare equipment that give useful spells and curses. I've had them with a % chance to cast Amplify Damage on striking (great for PIs) and also with Frost Nova and Hydras when struck. I wonder if it's worth cycling through your Valk until you get useful mods...