Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Using other mercs besides Act 2

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Calizzar, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

Using other mercs besides Act 2

Can other mercs kill anything in hell? Can they support a character well?

I heard something about using witch wild string on fire rogue.

2. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Act V are basically tougher version of Act II mercs (minus that all important aura.)

Act I are great for certain twinked builds, particularly CS running builds, and IMO far and away the best for most untwinked play.

Act III are bugged to do little damage (I believe), however the cold merc is useful for freezing enemies and packs of enemies. They can actually kill things if you're patient.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Disregarding the defiance merc, act 5 mercs are the best at taking damage. Blizz really made a poor choice in making the act 2 mercs so good. And then they went and made several ridiculously powerful polearm runewords for them.

Act 3 mercs are just embarrassing all around. It's kinda funny that they used to be the only mercs anyone ever bothered with pre-expansion. Freezing enemies used to be as good as it got for mercs.

4. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

I mostly use Act 2 mercs on my chars. However, my wind druid uses an Act 5 merc, and another of my chars use an Act 1 merc. I've never considered using an Act 3 one though; they have poor AI, weak offense, and weak defense. The gmerc thing was the only thing going for them until it got patched.

5. pancakeman

pancakeman IncGamers Member

I have heard that an act 3 with dual dreams rules, though I will always go with an A2 or A5.

6. Evrae Altana

It used to. Not anymore.

7. pancakeman

Oh, then there is really no use for A3 mercs, then.

8. Calizzar

why was an act 3 merc with dual dream good?

9. LokiFnx

LokiFnx IncGamers Member

there was some glitched that stacked auras or something for insane dmg not exactly sure how it worked

is there anyplace i can find out more about a1 mercs? and what makes them good for chaos

10. Evrae Altana

They can't die from Iron Maiden because they're ranged.

11. pancakeman

Was about to post that.

Also, a cold can freeze the Venom Lords that are normally extra fast, giving you more time to kill, correct?

12. LokiFnx

LokiFnx IncGamers Member

well is there an act 1 merc merc guide?

13. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

You can try this one. It's a very good guide. It doesn't give specific equipment recommendations, but Rogues are pretty easy to equip.

I use Rogues a lot, so I can give you some budget ideas for equipment. (I'm SP, so I don't have the high runewords, but I'm sure they will work nicely as well.) I usually use WWS, Riphook, or Harmony for the bow. (Riphook is usually in the stash regardless for Boss fights, since the slow really helps.) Treachery is a pretty nice armor for them if the Venom won't be a problem for your character. Duriel's shell is also a good choice, but they can get along pretty well with a Stealth armour as well. Blackhorn's face is one of my favorite helms for the for the slow and lightning absorb. (Sadly, the PMH doesn't work for mercs.) Nice circlets with FRW and some other nice mods work well too.

14. Fluffballer

jiansonz in the single player forum wrote up some details for her, however the SPF does things VERY differently than most Bnetters (and jiansonz takes this to an extreme.)

The Bnet version of rogue mercs is that basically this:

Three runewords are very useful on them.

Faith gives them fanaticism, which will only mildly increase the damage of their party member (you) but will dramatically increase your attack speed.

Ice gives them holy freeze. This is a big one, since most people prefer act II holy freeze mercs but act II mercs have trouble with iron maiden. In addition, stick Ice on a cold rogue and her cold arrows will be much more damaging.

Harmony gives her Vigor, so you can run about much quicker. It's also insanely cheap to make for such a good bow.

Some builds that benefit from rogue mercs in general are:

• Any melee or throwing/shooting builds which can benefit from the IAS of fanaticism, the holy freezing of Ice, or vigor but doesn't need/want a second aura. Rogues tend to survive much better than act II mercs if you're not constantly blazing through the monsters because rogues hang back. If you're the "charge the **** in" type of player, consider Act II or V mercs.
    • Bone necros are usually better off with rogues due to synergized bonewalls.
    • Poison necros that use Bramble instead of enigma may want to consider a Harmony weilding merc.
    • Many builds in the CS. Javazons and any of the bowazon builds are often used to run the CS, and both benefit from fanaticism. Wind druids are also often used in the CS and may want a rogue that has a CtC amp damage.
    • Any character that already has a better-than-act-II summon may want to consider a rogue. Bone necros have golems and bone walls and don't massively benefit from auras, for example.

For untwinked play, rogues survive much more easily with bad equipment and the slower nature of untwinked play. Again if you're running through hoards of monsters, she won't last.

15. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

I use an act I merc on my summon/poison necro. I do actually use her for auras, but I need those auras for my summons to kill better. So, I wanted a merc that would survive well. She hardly ever dies and with faith + bramble I get some nice increased speed and monsters killing themselves off too.

16. Calizzar

how much does a prayer merc help? Because im thinking of a build where i will be losing a good amount of life.

17. jag

jag IncGamers Member

since this is already being discussed--

I have a strafing wf zon lvl 84 currently with a might/pride merc. I have thoughts of trying a1 merc for her to wear faith to give me the added ias to possibly get me to a 7/2 strafe.

Now I will lose 2 damage enhancing auras, will the increase ias make up for it?

Suggestions on a1 mercs armor/helm beneficial for her and for me?

18. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Pots will be at least 10x as effective, I'd go with something else.

19. Calizzar

hmm.. im a conviction using pally. how bout a act 2 merc using rift polearm for the frozen orb. Level 21 frozen orb going off almost every second is pretty spiffy for slowing as well as producing some nice damage when combined with conviction.

20. Fluffballer

If you're using vengeance, you're going to want to check your BPs with a Faith weilding merc. Avengers are possibly the best tanks in the entire game so the last thing you need is some idiot merc getting himself killed trying to dive in there with you, and you're already doing plenty of damage. On the other hand, your attack is pretty slow, so IAS is a good thing.

If you're something else, well then nevermind all that. :grin: