Using '!?' or is it '?!'

Luckymofo

Diabloii.Net Member
Using '!?' or is it '?!'

I've seen the '!?' thing used when I was reading (gasp!) some books a long time ago. Is the '!?'/'?!' part of correct grammar? I only ask because....

boredom and curiosity told me to...

Luckymofo said:
I've seen the '!?' thing used when I was reading (gasp!) some books a long time ago. Is the '!?'/'?!' part of correct grammar? I only ask because....

boredom and curiosity told me to...
Where's Dondrei when you need him?!?

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
No, it's not real grammar. So you can put whatever you like, but most people put the question mark first because it seems more natural.

I put whichever symbol I feel is more prominent first. So if i'm more questioning than astonished, I put the "?" first. Or if I'm more suprised than dumbfounded, i'll put the "!" first. :thumbsup: It is a fine science.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
No, it's not real grammar. So you can put whatever you like, but most people put the question mark first because it seems more natural.
Agree with the "not proper writing" bit. But I make a distinction between ?! and !? because I think the mark appearing first in that pair is the one that would go naturally at the end of the sentence.

What did you say?! <-- This is a question, and the ! at the end makes it one asked emphatically, or in shock.

I think I saw Blasteron post!? <-- This is an emphatic statement, and the ? at the end adds an element of confusion.

This half-baked punctuation theory © 2006 Peter Durfee

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I usually put the exclamation mark first (!?) but intuitively I would think that putting the ? at the end emphasizes the question and putting the ! at the end emphasizes the emphasis.

Actually I dunno.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I just think !? looks better than ?!.

And anyone who's played WoW knows that ! starts the quest, ? finishes it. Therefore, it should be !?

I 5 starred this quest for 'interrobang'.