Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Using expletives get banned on Bnet?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lileofavelion, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Lileofavelion

Lileofavelion IncGamers Member

Using expletives get banned on Bnet?

I just got temp-banned from Battle.net from retaliating some bad mannered player (using the f-word). I guess we both deserved it but curious at how many times and what words you have used in a message that result in a temp-ban?

2. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

That is rediculous, I've never seen that happen before. I bet you got banned for switching games to fast or something.

Banning bad language on bnet would eliminate 99.967% of the people playing.

3. iamscottbowdown

iamscottbowdown IncGamers Member

You forgot an extra 3 9s in there. 99.999947%

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

If I were to make a list of all the words that could get you banned from BNet, I would get myself banned from these forums. Nothxbye! :lol:

Besides, unless he emailed Blizzard with a screenshot and a message saying, "I was deeply offended by blah blah", there's no way you would have gotten banned for just having a potty mouth.

5. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I don't quite understand due to a lack of data. You were banned for using expletives, in a game? Or were you in a public chat room? Or whispering?
    I see horrible swearing going on all the time, especially in games. Personally, I would love it if all the people swearing unnecessarily were banned, what a nice realm it would be, eh?

6. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

It would also be really nice if all runners and rushers were banned, if all roleplayers were banned, if all PvP'ers were banned, if people who get offended easily gets banned, if arrogant people get banned, if young people get banned, if old people get banned...etc. etc.

You have been given the freedom to play on a realm, if you're offended you have plenty of options to go elsewhere, this puritan way of removing anyone you do not like is really sad.

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

I swear all the freaking time in games. I never get banned for cussing.

8. SuggestiveName

Except for when you swore on the forums.

OOO! ZING!!!!

9. th5418

th5418 Banned

.............. :( thats a painful history.

10. SuggestiveName

Don't worry too much about it. We've all been temp-banned once or twice. I myself have been temp-banned 11 times.

11. Lileofavelion

Lileofavelion IncGamers Member

Happens like this:

I was trying to trade off my Nord's with 308% ED 10% cold absorb with 15% IAS and 15 Max Dmg jewel for a Nord's with a SHAEL rune. This guy whispered me and said make game. I created a game, he joined, opened the trade screen, said nt, and quit. I whispered him: "Don't fxxking waste my time next time" and gone back to the trading channel. He said "Fxxk off fxg" then I said "You are the fxxking fxg" and when I tried to squelch him from further messages I lost connection to Battle.net.

Now in retrospect, I may have typed the text too quickly so that may be the reason. Normally I would have ignored him knowing most people are like that on Battle.net but yesterday I had a bad day at work so I wasn't too happy myself.

Anyways let's not turn this topic into another ethical debate. We'll just leave it as it is now I know expletives are not attributed to temp banning.

12. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

If I had to guess (this is the second post in the last few seconds I've used this phrase), I'm guessing that there is a "big brother" or two that can see what happens in games and can actually "play god" in a sense. I'm also guessing they get paid for doing this, and that makes me sick. :)

I also wanted to mention that I had found it strange that the person I gave my gheed's to joined my game that I knew I had made 1-p right after I told him that the name of the game I was in and that I was going to leave to let him in. The person said that the first time he tried to join he had gotten "Game is full". ~psy

Also it is not uncommon for an MMRPG to have moderators. Dark Age of Camelot has them and they appear as godly people that will kick your *** 3 times and ban you if you say anything to piss them off, and Everquest has them and they can make an uber-monster appear on top of you and your clan at any time if they want to--my roommate had that happen to them during a session where one of the developers was taking his ultra-high level group (of 100 people) through a part of a patch that they were beta testing.

13. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

~~We've all been temp-banned once or twice.~~

Not me.

14. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

It's quite good being swedish. I can use whatever foul words I want when creating new characters or games :)
    I don't say that I do, though... :D

15. SuggestiveName

I got temp-banned yesterday for alt-tabbing out to close photoshop.

I should have wrote down the amazing flow of curses I invented.

EDIT: Gigas, I meant from the forums....meh, it was a crappy joke anyways.