Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

using ATMA while D2 is still running

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Snake, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

using ATMA while D2 is still running

I was just wandering is it is possible to use ATMA to get some stuff of a character that I am currently playing with. So the character in question is just in town standing there and doing nothing. Is this possible, or am I asking for some blue screens? :xrollseye

2. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

As far as I know you cannot do this.
    I believe D2 has to be closed out to use ATMA.

3. Mammon

Mammon IncGamers Member

Absolutely, I do it all the time.

The only problem is that your character file may not save instantly, and the muleable items may not show up immediately in your inventory. Waiting a little while straightens that out.

Hope this helps.

4. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

So I was wrong:p

5. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

The .d2s file is still open in the game. This means that you won't be able to save any changes you make. Best case, you can't open the file at all. Worst case, you accidentally dupe something or lose something from your stash.

EDIT: Oh. So was I. Well, this changes things, doesn't it.

6. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Does this work in both directions? Being able to clean out my game stash without exiting would be quite handy.

7. narfman0

narfman0 IncGamers Member

When certain events happen, like death sometimes, the character file saves. Other events also make a save. When you click save and exit, then you can alter the character file at will. I would never open the file while I am playing the character, as it is all a waste of time because it will still be in your inventory when you go to diablo ii. There are other reasons for saving, and some for not also.

8. vajurewi

vajurewi IncGamers Member

when D2 is running, you can run ATMA and take items out of the
    stash. and you will get a duplicate of all the items in the
    stash once the game does save, unless you drop them/sell them
    putting items in from ATMA to the stash wont get seen by the game.

when ATMA asks to save the .d2s file, that will get overwritten
    by the next game save.

9. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Ugh. That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll stick to using ATMA only when the character is inactive.

10. Snake

Snake IncGamers Member

I did't think it was a good idea in the first place. I was just wandering if you guess ever tried it.

11. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Using ATMA while D2 is running is not a problem. Using ATMA to mule items on or off a character active in a game is a pretty risky proposition - chances are you'll either lose the items or duplicate them. For peace of mind I recommend stopping the character, mule your items, then restart again.

Chris

12. Mammon

Mammon IncGamers Member

I've been using ATMA since it came H-N-T released it, and have never had any occurance of data corruption or game error while muling off items while the game was running.

As far as dupeing goes, as soon as I mule the item off I sell the item. So unless you object to the ill gotten gain of a few thousand gold, I don't see the problem.

Coincidentally, I choose this route because I save everything, I'm the sort of person who will gleefully collect 502 Isenhart's Cases....

Well...

Maybe not 'gleefully'.

:bonk:

Oh, and I forgot to address the 'muling in' of items. I never do that in-game, I couldn't say with certainty, but I imagine the imported .d2s file (with new items), would be overridden automatically at the next save point before they had a chance to come into effect. I always 'twink' offline.

Cheers

13. bhaalistik

bhaalistik IncGamers Member

That's what I have to do when I find multiple Gheed's. I have found a 30, 29, and 26 so far and the only way to pick em up (I've found) is to:

Pause game, ATMA the one ON me to a mule, go back to game, DROP the one on me (which is the one I just muled off, but the game doesn't read it that way until you save out) and leave it behind because it is a dupe now, pick up the newly found one and save. Done it everytime so far and no problems with crashing game or character...knocks on wood.

I think there was a discussion of whether this was ethical or not...I personally don't have a problem with it. I found it, it's mine to keep or trade, and as I stated, I ALWAYS leave the copy on the ground. If and when I get my tradelist together I will be sure to put the disclaimer on it if anyone has a problem with this technique.

Thanks for reading my blathering...back to your regular scheduled posting :lol:

14. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Well, it would be more honourable to drop the item on the ground and not get the ill-gotten gold. :)

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable in doing that. The size of my stash is a limit that I bang up against in a long playing session, and I feel that it is "part of the game" that I have to save & exit, thus respawning all the monsters, to mule stuff off. Without wishing to bandy the c-word around, muling off mid-game would feel, to me, like gaining an unfair advantage - and I'm only comfortable using ATMA because I don't normally feel that.

15. loveratbaby

loveratbaby IncGamers Member

Yeah I accidentally duped a bunch of stuff doing this the other day =/ So I just deleted them with ATMA when I realised what I had done.