Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

using Amp Damge/CE on summoner?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Calizzar, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Calizzar

Calizzar Diabloii.Net Member

using Amp Damge/CE on summoner?

I was thinking of wearing a courpsemourn on a summoner, stocking up on ort runes, and using lacerator to give off amp damage, and using CE as a helping damage dealer with dire wolves.

what do you think?

2. HuggieTheBear

HuggieTheBear Diabloii.Net Member

Arg....summoners. Those damn town hugging hippies. :grin:

I say, why not get the lacerator and chuck axes at the monsters.

Well, I don't know much about summoners but good luck with the char.

3. Calizzar

I was also thinking of act 1 rogue with edge + bramble for very high level thorns. When combined with amp damage, this might be very good. Or would spirit wolf's bonus make it so my wolves don't get hit that much?

4. traalor

traalor Diabloii.Net Member

I had a rogue hireling with Edge once. Unfortunately, the thorns aura wasn't doing nearly what I thought it would at its level. After all, I was a summoner druid with grizzly, maxe dire wolf skills (for the life bonuses to grizzly) and max oak sage, yet the enemies hitting the grizzly were taking barely any damage in return.

And I thought the spirit wolf bonus was to attack rating, not defense...? Either way, the ones who'll do enough damage to matter will be able to hit them.

5. Calizzar

it gives both ar and defense.

well, edge alone gives 810% damage returned. Edge + bramble + amp damage gives up to 3300% damage returned. (i'm pretty sure amp damage works with thorns, according to a guide i was reading on the necro forum)

And i could also prebuff a level 16 valkyrie from harmony bow. So i'd have me, merc, valk, HoW, and 3 dire wolves.

There would be a level 36 thorns, 40+ HoW auras floating around.

So the question is what will help me more, edge + bramble on rogue merc or bramble + conc + might on act 2 merc.

6. Jary

Jary Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, you're almost better off just dropping on them and using a wand with decrep charges or Gavel... 'cause you're gammbling on the fact that you'll actually even hit them for that slim chance to get amp, right? Also, I just dont think that wolves tank enough for it to be even worth it, since most char's can one hit them... they're just too fragile, sry its the truth...and they dont do enough damage for it to be worth it neways. you'd almost be better going stacked Grizzly + HoW + amp with wand...maybe? The thing is, summoners are pretty fragile and it doesn't really work with these chance to cast items, that's why your better off going brammble and using thorns, for just direct effect. If not brammble, it has to be nigma... because that's the only way to be able to surprise drop right on someone or bail out if you need to. Someone suggested Doom axe w' lvl 12 holyfreeze/spirit shield... expensive, but would totally give u the advantage if you dropped on top them

7. Valvolux

Valvolux Diabloii.Net Member

I like the Amp + huge thorns idea, you can't get amp on wands...so use Lacerator like you planned.

8. Calizzar

jary, sorry didnt mention this is pvm.

9. Calizzar

well i heard now that valk won't stay when you switch weapons so no valk.

10. Calizzar

well i switched my idea of edge + bramble to just bramble on might merc with pride.

So the build revolves around 3 items:

Bramble
    Lacerator
    Corpsemourn

This gives me at level 75 when i start hell:

-wolves with 3k damage before and 6k damage after amp
    -2100% damage returned from level 21 thorns after amp
    -3.5k damage throws before amp and deadly, which means 7k damage after i land amp or deadly strike, and 14k damage if i land both. yikes
    -11 fpa throws, trying to get any farther requires too many sacrifices in other gear
    -Amp + Corpse Explosion = mass slaughter necro style

Weapon: Eth Lacerator
    Armor: Corpsemourn w/Um
    Shield: Moser w/2 PDiamonds
    Helm: Jalal's w/ Um
    Gloves: LoH
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Belt: Verdungo's
    Ring: BK
    Ring: Raven
    Ammy: Highlords
    switch: CtA // Spirit Monarch

Anni, DTorch, 6 Summoning GC's w/life, Demon Limb, 11 3/20/20s

Act 2 Might Merc:
    Weapon: Eth Pride GPA
    Armor: Bramble AP
    Helm: Vamp Gaze

Now a few questions:

1. will maxing spirit wolves make my wolves too hard to hit, thus negating my thorns?

2. And if i max spirit wolves, should i use them over dire wolves. they do almost the same dps, and there would be 5, meaning more for the enemy monsters to hit and damage themselves upon.

3. Will i have enough AR to hit things in hell with demon limb and HoW, or will i need the angelic combo?

4. What do you think as "The Caveman" for the title of this build. It features a druid throwing axes which is nice and prehistoric. And the caveman straps spikes to himself and his companion wolves. Don;t know about the massive exploding though. Any other name suggestions?

If this works, i plan on writing a guide for it and posting it in this forum.

11. Kiba

Kiba Diabloii.Net Member

Ive tried an used a perfect eth Cryptic axe on act 2 merc and it sucks a lot , merc died a lot and did little damage even with the arua.

Use a eth reapers toll for most affect out of a act 2 mercenary.

12. Calizzar

But the 345% ed to me and all my wolves is what counts. and reaper's toll will often offset my amp damage, which is the whole point of using lacerator, as it ups my throw damage, my wolves' damage, the thorns damage, and lastly the corpse explosion damage.

13. Jary

Jary Diabloii.Net Member

3.5k throws... physical damage? =7k after? Where are u getting this throw damage? I don't think I've seen barbs with throwing masteries have that sorta damage. I'll give u 2k damage with amp tops, 'cause i'm pretty sure amplify damage only works with physical. Explain that to me, 'cause i'ma lil' confused sry.

My idea

You're a druid with no skill bonuses to give ar. Personally, I'd either go anghellics and drop the highlords... or a better idea is to use Hsaurus boots+belt, which will only give like half the boost as anghellics but works just as effective. either way, without an act2 offensive norm merc and dramatic ar items, you'll have like 2k ar tops :[
    I like the corpsemourn idea... that'd be fun to see ^^

14. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot Diabloii.Net Member

Decripify also works with corpse explosion though not as well as amp. It also has all the other bonuses which are all helpful..slow, less monster dmg, and -50% phys resisitance. This keep you and minions alive longer, and there is no reason to drop Lacerator...amp or decrip will always be on monsters which is all good.

Using charges will be slow and pricey, but it would be a fun build to mess with. Thorns in large games does not scale in dmg thus a monster may take a great amount of dmg returned, but not enough so as to allow you to fly through the game..not to mention it does not help againest ranged attackers or elemental.

Do give it a try and let us know how it goes..good luck!

15. Calizzar

base max damage on winged axe: 60
    60 * 1.5 = 90 (eth)
    90 * 3.1 = 269 (perfect)
    269 + 33 = 312 (3/20/20s)
    312 * (345 + 258 + 250 + 180) + 312 = 3534 (conc, HoW, strength/dex, might)
    3534 * 2 = 7068 (amp)

or if i really wanted to go crazy:

269 + 111 = 380 (37 3/20/20s)
    380 * (345+ 216 + 250 + 180 + 300) = 5285 (conc, how, strength/dex, might, fort)
    5285 * 2 = 10570 (amp)

barbs dont get this because they dont have high level how. and if you see them in pvp, they dont have conc or might either. however, they can throw at 3.5 or 4 fpa with some good fpa,compared to my 11 (9 if i really went crazy on the ias).

and as far as ar, i'd have over 400% enhanced ar from demon limb and how, so we'll see. to get a solid chance to hit things in hell what is good ar?

well, it kind of goes back to the whole idea of thorns. i wouldnt want the monsters slowed and doing less damage for thorns to take full effect. and i can always recast the minions.

well, i was thinking of corpse explosion as mainly a support skill. Meaning i'd use a charge probably just once per big group. So it should last a little bit. And i usually pick up a lot of items and sell them, so it shouldn't be too bad as far as gold cost. basically, if it takes 400k to repair, thats about 11-15 armors/orbs/heads(stuff that sells for a lot) i need to pick up, which isnt really alot when playing through the game. and i dont mind frequent trips to town. i play at a leisurely pace.

as as far as thorns, i usually play through hell alone.

on my last char, i had a act 2 merc that had a crap weapon, vamp and fort, and he barely ever died.

16. Valvolux

Valvolux Diabloii.Net Member

Oh my! That's funny...:grin:

17. Calizzar

lol, i was being hypothetical. but i plan to have about 11