Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uses for BoneWall/Prison???

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by DrgnMstr, Apr 15, 2005.

1. DrgnMstr

DrgnMstr IncGamers Member

Uses for BoneWall/Prison???

Whats up folks? Hope everyone is well.

I'm working on a Summoner focusing on physical damage. I got SM and RS maxed. Im not a fan of magi's so only 1 point as pre-req for Revive. I want to work in either Bone Prison or Bone Wall into my summoner. Question is, does the thorns from Bramble runeword take effect when monsters attack wall or prison. Im looking for a way to help my skellies out. I'm using mainly Amp, of course. Are there any other ways I can use wall or prison effectivly to deal damage? Any help is appreciated.

Thx

2. middleman35

middleman35 IncGamers Member

Not that this will help if u're dead set on using either wall or prison, but if u're just after a way to help u're skells out I'd suggest corpse explosion. 1 point to start with, then If u have the points later (as a lot of summoner/skelemancer builds do) increase it so it's radius keeps pace with amp.

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Bonewall/Prison is neither useful nor recommendable for a Skelemancer. Your skellies are the far superior bonewall --- they do not block your progress, they automatically pursue enemies (i.e. your "bonewall" is hunting down the enemy), and they attack/kill them as well.

You could try to just throw up a bonewall or two to block some monsters from progressing towards your skellies; however, I don't think that's useful unless you are planning to make a weak character. I find that the only reason why I cast something (i.e. Gumby) ahead is to ATTRACT things --- but of course, you could use a bonewall for that as well.

Also note that something that pierces your skellies will also pierce the bonewalls, so you do not gain additional protection.

Thorns will not work with bonewalls (or prison; it's the same mechanics) since once cast the wall doesn't belong to you anymore: it's not a minion or party member, so the Thorns doesn't show up around it.

Personally, the only use I see for bonewal/prison is as synergy for bone armor --- but given that attacks shouldn't reach you, even more so if they are physical damage (bone armor does not protect you from black soul lightning, for example), then without using Marrows I would rather not use bonearmor at all, instead of spending a ton of points for it.

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Bonewall - To divert monsters' attention from minions/self and some will attck the wall :p Also if PvP/bullied in games by melee char (eg : a Barb) : Iron Maiden and cast walls and hope they hit = instant death @@

Boneprison - To control/trap dangerous monsters like ancients, MSLE, etc before thinking up a plan/tactic to kill them with minions in these prisons with the dangerous monsters. . hope this helps

5. Leuchovius

Leuchovius IncGamers Member

Hi DrgnMstr,

Previous posters are correct - Bone Prisons aren't optimal for summoners, except for those focusing on Mages (LoM). Bone Wall could be used in certain situations, to deflect attacks away from your skellies.

No. Auras do not work with Bone Walls or Prisons.

Not effectively. Iron Maiden can be used to return damage dealt to Prisons and Walls, but auras will not work. Walls and Prisons are better used as diversions.

Check out the Jailkeeper guide for uses on Bone Prison:

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=300222

6. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I think Bone Wall/Prison isn't of much use to a skellimancer. I see it as much more useful for a Meleemancer or PvM Bonemancer who would use it for crowd control (and Bone Armour synergy). Skellimancers don't need crowd control, because they've got a crowd of their own.

7. Myrakh-2

I would LOVE to control that crowd, so don't tell me I don't need crowd control :)

8. batuchka

Hmm even with very strong minions crowd control is best exercised from my experiences itwm running items in hell with my bone/summon necro just have to think of some but its not totally useless IMO

9. batuchka

Forms of crowd control/decreased threat to self and minions :

1) Dim Vision : Archers, Spearcats and most importantly Gloams/Black Souls go melee and dmg to self, minions and merc FAR less and general safety of self and army greatly increases

2) Terror : Too many monsters too little minions left - spread the pack and see them flee!

3) Attract : Cast Attrct on non superuniq and it becomes universal target. Monsters attack target, cast amp - less heat on minions. Corpse explosion. Rinse and repeat.

4) Deceprify : Draw Lister & gang (mods : Extra Strong, Fanaticism, Stone Skin) away from Baal, cast Decepfiy = less dmg to minions, slow and change the tide in battle :p One Minion of Destruction dies, amp and CE hehe

5) Bone Prison : Deal with Hell Ancients one at a time imprisoning the throwing and leaping guy. Deceprify WW guy = sitting duck for skellies/merc/golem

Some of the ways crowd control tactics is useful hehe

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Hey... do skeletons still try to attack the bone walls/prisons with extreme prejudice? I seem to remember that being another reason I never mixed the two.

11. Myrakh-2

I don't think so. Whenever I get accidentally bonetrapped my skeletons don't try to free me... of course, there might be another reason for that... :scratch:

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

There is no other reason. I'm sure your bony companions are more than willing to free you, they are however unable to attack the BP.

13. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

No, minions no longer attack bone walls/prisons. Pre 1.10 walls/prisons when summoned were considered "universal targets" in a sense...in 1.10 walls/prisons are allied with you.