Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uselessfulness of complete sets items

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Barabas, May 27, 2008.

1. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

Uselessfulness of complete sets items

In this forum I saw a player extreamly happy completing all sets in the game.
    And then it hit me.

There isn't a complete set in the game that proves to be useful.

Ok, you'll say Tal Rasha's or IK.

And I say that complete Tal isn't so good . For mf-ing you've got Oculus and Shako. Not talking about not mfing, we've got Veil and death fatom.

And when it comes to IK, we've got grief axe, arreat, SS... so many better alternative.

So, my point is : there're any complete sets useful ? My humble opinion is that isn't.

2. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

Re: Uselessfulness of complete sets items

If you play untwink or SP you might find it very useful..
    some sets just worked good for Partial Sets
    some items from the set works fine alone..

Sigon's Complete Steel is good for Low level melee characters..
    trang's oul gives you a Vampire Look
    Tal rasha is good mf for dual tree metoerorbber..
    Angelic ammy and ring will give u insane Boost of AR,
    bllah
    blah blah...

3. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Trangs, IK, and Tal's complete get used, in Hell and on realms, and they get used because they give you stuff when complete that works and you can't get any other way.
    Other & Partial sets get used as well in specific situations.
    The Graphics are something you can only get from the sets as well.
    Some people like to GRAIL and getting every set complete and legit is a nice Grail.

4. kuzanth

kuzanth IncGamers Member

Btw, full Tal set is much more cheaper, than sg like CoH + faceted Eschuta + mara + ... :smiley:

5. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

From Tal's , only partial set is of somekindof usefulness.
    Tal Armor + Tal Amu + Tal Belt gives a lot of resis + mf boost, but full Tal is not sufficient for a optimal build ( mf / fast killing ).

6. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Maybe you should go to the sorc forum and look at the sticky about the full tals set...

7. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

Maybe it isn't necessary because I see two possibilities NMW:

1. For mf : Tal Armour + Tal Amu + Tal Belt + PTopazed Shako + Wt + CGuards + Oculus
    2. For fast killing : Veil + Mara + Df 30 + Ormus Blizz 15% cold

Nevertheless ( for mf / for fast killing ), Tal complete set stands way back in the tail of those 2 builds.

8. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

btw I'm from the SPF

Full class specific sets are used thus:

Tal's- to boast that you've found the ammy/armour
    IK- ditto, armour only
    Trang's- useful for the poison skill/-resist bonuses, with DW for the rich
    Mavina's- good for mageazon's, put all your points in energy for a challenge
    Griswold's-avenger all the way, using the sockets to full effect, throw in 1.07 sick damage charms for the rich(also abbots to throw Sol in all the sockets)
    Aldur's- the least popular, but it has been done

9. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

tals: a full tals fo/cl or fo/fb sork can solo hell with ease. personally, i rekon full tals > partial tals. there have been some spirited attempts to make tals/es/orb and tals fire sork pvp builds, they can sometimes be surprisingly effective. full tals can almost be had for pgems, but can build a surprisingly effective sork.

griswolds: pvm, a griz zealot can solo hell. pvp, there's the infamous -210% lit res pvp fister.

Nats: a nats phoenix striker can blast through hell at a surprising clip. for pvp, a nets set ww'sin has been known to be a powerful tool in the right hands.

orphans call: kick'sins have been known to solo hell in this set with a decent pair of boots.

Trangs summoners are a pvm staple. some peeps have had great fun with trangs poison nova necs for pvp (i've died to a few of these).

are there complete sets that can compete with the cacophany of runewords and other assorted kit: yes and no. depends on what you want from the build.

if it's just "be able to solo hell fairly safely", theres a huge range of sets that can make a viable build. they may not be as powerful as their runeword/unique/rare counterparts, but there are certainly a lot of very viable builds based around set kit.

10. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

:angry: I don't like it when someone bashes my favorite set in the game: Tal Rasha's Wrappings. Go to the Sorceress forum, and you will have a revelation that Tal's is about one of the most effective setups for a dual- or tri-elemental sorceress out there.

11. RubenusPontius

RubenusPontius IncGamers Member

What, so just because there's something better means it isn't useful? So regular painkillers aren't useful because morphine is better? A regular car isn't useful because there are better cars? My discman isn't useful becaus ipod's are better? I beg to differ.
    It seems to me that you've confused best or ultimate with useful.

12. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Not everyone is a blizzard sorceress .....

13. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Seems like someone thinks anything that isn't the best is just trash....

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Shako + Occy on an MF sorc is a pure sin. If you are a blizz sorc, use wiz + ali baba switch. If you are a dual element sorc, use full Tal's.

Actually, I can't imagine why would something like Occy can be traded for Pul. I would have vendored it myself. IF it doesn't have the chance to tele, I might give it a lem, since wiz or Tal's still beats it. With it, it isn't even worth paying 5 pgems, IMO.

15. mephiztophelez

and sometimes such people don't even recognise what is actually "best".

ps: i also hate that evil beast known as Occulus.

16. AnimeCraze

I actually love it, as it means I don't need to regret trading it away for a pul. :wink3:

17. Barabas

Barabas IncGamers Member

This is corect and I do "Mea Culpa". Full sets aren't useless, just not fully useful.

Most of the time, full sets are gear of middle class players.

If you all please hear my explaination of this logic of mine. I did lots of PvP with lots of classes, but a fact always came in front.
    I saw many full sets builds in the PvP field, and I tell you that first that went down was the full sets players. I saw players with experience using full sets and geting killed in the front lines.

I'm not a full sets hater, I just don't find'em viabile for a perfectionist character, that's all.

For that was invented eschutas.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  18. mephiztophelez

********. i know plenty of top-level players who still keep their tal's meteorber or IK barb geared up. i know of a few players who downright refuse to build a hammerdin (myself included) and use their tal's sork for hell rushing.

theres another school of thought about "whats best", for example, I personally rekon my 20%res-all/179% goldfind hat and Lem/Lem Ali Baba are the godliest PvM skelly'nec helm/weapons available. others will disagree.

i'll grant you that full-sets aren't the greatest kit available for pvp characters, but thats no reason to ****bag them. i've seen skilled 'sin players clear out a pub game with a nats set ww'sin.

your definition of a "GOOD character" seems to be very limited to the PvP arena. other people have different definitions. besides, for some people, killing yon rune-worded-up-the-wazoo smiter/hammerdin/etc with their trangs poisonmancer or griz set fister is more satisfying to them than grabbing a wind druid.

eshutas is total crap. i'd use full tals over any eschutas build, any day. now a HotO on the other hand......

19. Pillz

Pillz IncGamers Member

I totally agree with meph, I'm not exactly poor and I rock tal's set on my blizz sorc and wouldn't even think to use anything. Tals is pretty much the best possible setup for a cold sorc, the resists, life, damage, and skills are pretty hard to beat. You lose the max damage, but you more than make up for that in survivability.

Eschuta's is also pretty awful, I don't know why anyone uses it when they could be using a Hoto.

20. AnimeCraze

I agree 100% on this one. Take your pick, +1.5 more light mastery and +3 fire mastery (eschuta), OR -15 enemy fire + lightning resist + +15% cold damage (Tal's orb), OR 40 resist + dex for block (HotO). No matter how you look at it, the first one is pales compared to the other 2.