Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

useless party member rant

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Superhal, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

useless party member rant

in large parties, there's always somebody who can do what needs to be done.

however, recently as i've been leveling my single tree blizz sorc, i've come across a lot of people who a) have no idea what is going on, b) don't care.

When i play my barb, i'm always the first to the wp, waiting there for the tp'ing sorc to BO them. When the tp is up, i'm the first in the gate to clear the way for everybody else. if my resists are maxxed, i go stand in front of any elemental damage, or lure gloam blasts away from other people.

But now that i've built a sorc for tp'ing, where is the courtesy? where is the help? where is the goddarn BO?

dark lords, OB's, and witches are always cold immune in the worldstone. i have a 1pt telekenesis and a 1pt hydra. where are my party members?

them: tell me when it's clear. *twiddles thumbs in harrogath*
    or:
    them: hey what damage does your sword/axe/spear/merc/ww do? *yadda yadda yadda*

i make it clear if there are only 1-2 other people that i cannot do cold immunes. if they can't, we have to find a new game. i do the tp'ing, i set up the portal, and i provide most of the damage. all i'm asking is for them to put down their dumb echoing eq and zerk or something on a few mobs.

what do they do? they die. they run around like little rats and die. in a big party, i distract mobs, use static, be the tank, or setup new portals. they don't do jack!

another thing that irritates me is when they go afk in the middle of a run. it's ok of there's only 1-2 people who have to pee at that time, but when there's 6 people standing around, it's a problem, in my opinion. i try to help them by disracting lister as he is pounding on their unattended forms, but often he will not switch targets.

also, why are they boggarting all the freaking potions? THEY did not just risk their lives to tp through 2.5 levels of mobs on their own coin. to avoid mana curse, i have to dump all my mana boosting eq, which means i drink a lot of pots. of course, if had a little bo, that wouldn't be a problem. but do they care? i think not.

and finally, what's up with people who are doing hell baal runs with staves and 2 headstrikers? How about those dummies with 2 echoing spears who don't BO? i put together a pretty massive defensive set of eq (max block, max resists, 45% pdr) and they're running around in pajamas and bunny slippers...if they're not naked.

usually i don't give a darn, because my chars are more well-rounded than this. with my zon, i could do it solo with 7 noobs sitting at the chest for all i care. my barbs are always wanted for their quick and automatic war crys. my necro has 3 tp ammy's so far.

so, all i have left to say is:

ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!

2. Faye

Faye IncGamers Member

Whenever situations like that arise, I just unparty. If they are not going to help me, why should I help them.

3. EBZeroMatrix

EBZeroMatrix IncGamers Member

A favorite of mine are cow lvl leechers :). Gotta love making a cow lvl, and then as I kill cows left and right, people are busy snatching things up as fast as they can, though they aren't helping one bit.

4. Kaozu9

Kaozu9 IncGamers Member

What's wrong with a pair of headstrikers? As conquest swords they offer constant double damage and allows you to stack on external dmg, like war travs instead of gores.

Oh ya, do you ask for a bo or just assume they will do it? The latter usally doesn't occur to the idiots of bnet.

PS. Consider letting all the afk people die. You do not own them for anything as they have never even tried to help you.

5. Superhal

1. i have nothing against them. it's that they don't even use them. it also seems to consistently reflect a general lack of knowledge about the game and builds, such as someone using ik set with them (different masteries.)

2. yep, and i feel pretty stupid asking for it as well, which led to the rant originally. obviously, they aren't going to do jack until i get to the throneroom, so they might as well do something to help.

having a sorc capable of survivng the trip is invaluable to me, so i take care of them. without one, that game series isn't going to last long.
    3. slows down the run, leads to irritating bickering ("who took my gold? huh? who! better fess up...") and tends to end the game series.

6. CurryKing

CurryKing IncGamers Member

Playing with Sorcs always highlights the lasyness of others. They expect you to do all the killing. Whenever I do a baal run people hang around till they convince a sorc to teleport down to the throne of destruction. They spend so much time waiting for someone to teleport for them. It would have been quicker for them to do it themselves.
    Also on baal runs there is always one Barb or pally who hides in the corner. Trying to get the XP and doing nothing. Well if you are lucky they might have an aura, or shout going.
    Finally its not just the lasyness but the robotic nature of many people on bnet. They will us their single attack/aura/curse EVERYTIME no matter the situation. Sometimes a salvation aura, dim vision curse or non-cold attack on a CI would be a god send.

Thanks for listening, I feel much better :)

CurryKing

7. Criku

Criku IncGamers Member

Err.. you mean conviction aura? Cos I´m always happy to tank for sorcs and remove immunities with my vengeance+conviction paladin.

8. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

If you're up against a conviction boss with his pack of Gloams, you'll be happy that one pally put 1 point in Salvation. ;-)

I usually BC, BO Shout whenever I notice peolpe loosing the swirly things around their feet....or whenever I feel like it.

With my 1.09 Tank Barb I just loved to tank anything during a nOOb-boost.

Really had a great time once inside a Cow-game hoarding up a great stack of Cows (which would take me years to slay) and then just stand there a bit to call for the nearest Java to toss in a Fury of two and walk away to fetch coffee....coming back and find that your life globe hasn't even dropped to 60% yet.... :-D

Ahhhhh....the good 'ole days where you could still have 75% PDR. ;-)

9. Superhal

today was return of the useless party members.

first 10 games i joined was pathetic. i think 2 people were playing 2 chars on 2 computers. there were three of us cold sorcs, 2 afk'ers, and 2 leechers. ci was great fun. what really irritated me were the 2 afk'ers. they were criticizing the laziness of each other, and how one would kill the other in a duel. the cold immune skellies were alive for like 5 minutes. i had to track them down individually and use my 1 pt hydra/static. i cursed their fathers and left.

then, a good run where everybody was pretty pro, a good spread of classes/skills (2 sorcs, 1 druid, 1 necro, 1 zon, 1 barb) and everybody helped out. the necro that started the game dropped out though, then we split up.

then, i joined another good run. we had a pro tal's sorc doing under 10 second throne tp's (probably mh.) 1 hybrid sorc, 1 fire sorc, me the ice sorc, and a bunch of pretty good barbs/pally's. i noticed one of the barbs had what looked like a rainbow kite shield (purple icon.) this struck me as unusual, so i tried to keep my eye out for him.

i finally saw him during the actual killing. he was hiding really tightly behind the pillars, about 3 inches away from the main door. i said: "hey, barb hiding behind the pillar, do something useful"

so he comes down to the other pillar so that there's barely a crack between the floor ornament, the pillar, and the main group. he busts out his warcry. i check my stats.

me: "oo! 40% battle orders!"
    (for those that don't know, 20 BO gives around 90% increase. he probably only had 1 point in it.)

the leader of the group, the tal's sorc, says we aren't to party with leechers. so, he disappears for a few games. later, i see him hiding again:

me: "hey hideabarb's back!"
    me: "hey hideabarb, you are too fat to play hide n seek"

actually, hideabarb was pretty tolerable, as he was the only one who was doing nothing. the first series though was terrible.

10. ToXin

ToXin IncGamers Member

sigh, all the idiot ppl on bnet and yet they all have enigmas, botds, call to arms while i have nothing. not fair!

11. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

I had the pleasure of meeting just such a boss pack of Gloams in WSK with my Hammerdin in an 8 player SC public game.
    Switched out to 1pt Salvation and proceeded to hammer everything I could whilst other party members attempted to help me out (god, I love Blizzard spell in situations like that). NOONE died!

Next Baal run, I couldn't get into the game as it was full.
    2 minutes later got a whisper from the guy who was leading the runs saying that the games will be passworded, password is "blablabla".
    When I got into the game people were making comments about me being the only 1 capable of dealing with the such high level threats and that I had saved the group from disbanding. So much for Palas sitting in corners doing nothing!

Spent the next 2 or 3 hours happily doing Baal runs with these guys in probably the best party I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.

Yeah, there is nothing worse than players who don't think about how to best help the rest of the party members and/or don't even have basic manners.

12. Eisirt

Eisirt IncGamers Member

Yep....salvation rox.... it's a true 1 pt wonder.

No preq and you make friends all the way.

Best investment any pally can make at lvl 30.

Of course a bit more expensive....1 point in meditation.

Always surrounded by a groupie of sorcs....

"Ooooh....mr. Paladin....you're aura is SOOOO strong."

And if you're really unfortunate....it will be a bunch of singer-barbs making it cosy. :-D

13. Ulric

Ulric IncGamers Member

It is very hard to find a decent group of people to party with. Now days, I rarely make a characters that cannot solo in Hell. My Sorc is tri-elemental because I have to kill everything myself. Even though I cannot kill everything very fast, I can kill everything eventually.

14. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

I try to help out in any game I play, but I noticed the increase in lazy people int he last couple weeks. People love my pally though, 20 HF and 20 Salvation and a few points in med to boot. Now if I could just find a better weapon and some CBF love.

15. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

that is why i solo mf runs. solo is key.

No useless necro's taking up space. No barbs doing their 2k per hit. Just me and my 15k meteor.

I never do baal, too much work too many immunes.

16. Superhal

but what can you test yourself with in solo games? in big games, at least it takes more than 1 hit, so you can see how good it is. p8-hell-ladder has the hardest monsters, so having big damage actually matters.

i stripped down my solo guys to like 800 damage per attack, that's all they need.

17. hotpanfight

hotpanfight IncGamers Member

Excellent post, I love this rant and totally agree. I also notice how people will join a game, and leave after 20 seconds if the people who are running don't make it to the throne. It appears alot of people are using MH, and hopefully Blizz will 'fix' it soon. Down with cheaters.

18. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash IncGamers Member

I feel your pain. I am currently a lvl ** Meteorb sorc. I have 286 unused attribute pts, but with my current equip I have 500 life/500 mana. With BO, this is more than adequate (resulting in about 1K each). IN an 8 player game, ORB is a slow killer, and meteor requires someone to tank so that the fiery ball of death can crush my foes (my merc needs to be lvld...when he is lvld he will be a suitable meat shield).

But what is with all the people that just sit in town and tell you to teleport? I mean, with my 500life/mana I won't make it without BO, and without anyone coming through the TP when I place it, my TPs are as good as BAD. I regret to say that I too stay in town on some occasions, but that is mostly because the game name is "I TELE BAAL"...if it is "I" why does ME have to do it? I am very grateful to those who teleport and I frequently expess my gratitude to them...and I do not snatch up every little goodie that happens to fall...I SHARE...its amazing how many are unaware of this concept....

19. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

I have to concur. I've only been playing Bnet for 2 weeks and have only just gotten my meteorb sorc (lvl 76) and summoner necro (lvl 75) to Hell with a lot of solo NM Baal runs. However, everytime I'm in a party, everyone expects me to do all the work .. and don't even get me started on low lvl characters who complain about not gaining experience even though they know their lvl is not high enough to gain more than 5%. :rolleyes:

--T

20. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash IncGamers Member

Sorry for the quick repost, but I agree whole heartedly. It infuriates me to see some sorc vomiting forth blizzard or orb on a creature very clearly marked as COLD IMMUNE. Switch to static or another spell and help...god...why do 5 year olds play this game? I may be an old man, but some people's children are getting on my nerves.