useless car mods

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
useless car mods

1. Rims
2. The vast majority of spoilers
3. Cutting springs
4. Skirting
5. Anything that makes a truck lower/look lower
6. V-tec stickers
7. Headlight/tail light mods
8. Tinting windows
9. Speed holes


"Every time you mod a honda, Hiroyuki Yoshino (CEO of Honda) kills a kitten"
 

gismo

Diabloii.Net Member
dantose said:
1. Rims
6. stickers
8. Tinting windows
1.Rims are an excellent way to reduce weight. A car goes a lot faster when it doesn't have to turn 50 extra pounds of weight.

6.You gotta have your sponsors on or else they won't give you the parts/money.

8.The sun gets awful bright and it helps tons with car lights. Those annoying bastards who don't know their head lights are on bright don't bother you if your windows are tinted.
 

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
dantose said:
1. Rims
2. The vast majority of spoilers
3. Cutting springs
4. Skirting
5. Anything that makes a truck lower/look lower
6. V-tec stickers
7. Headlight/tail light mods
8. Tinting windows
9. Speed holes


"Every time you mod a honda, Hiroyuki Yoshino (CEO of Honda) kills a kitten"
So in other words, useless mods = "rice". I agree with that. If the mod actually benefitted performance in an appreciable manner, it would be different. I might also add #10 to the list: Obnoxiouly loud, poorly done stereo systems played at 600 dB volume so that a three state radius can enjoy the crap the driver listens to.

Last week I saw a LINCOLN TOWN CAR with a park bench on the trunk. (those big, slab-sized aluminum "spoilers"). I think somebody was a little more than confused...
 

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
gismo said:
1.Rims are an excellent way to reduce weight. A car goes a lot faster when it doesn't have to turn 50 extra pounds of weight.

6.You gotta have your sponsors on or else they won't give you the parts/money.

8.The sun gets awful bright and it helps tons with car lights. Those annoying bastards who don't know their head lights are on bright don't bother you if your windows are tinted.
in the name of all things good and holy, please tell me you are joking! please tell me you forgot the [sarcasm] tags
 

Mad Merlin

Diabloii.Net Member
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
Last week I saw a LINCOLN TOWN CAR with a park bench on the trunk. (those big, slab-sized aluminum "spoilers"). I think somebody was a little more than confused...
Hey! There's nothing wrong with a Lincoln Town Car... unless you put a spoiler on it...
 
It just makes you wonder, what kind of mods would they have for a Flintstone era car, or are they just paying for looks. Superficial neaderthals...
 

adamfgt78

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Rims: As stated, new rims could mean a reduction in unsprung weight, which is a good thing. Also, an upgrade in wheel diameter will usually mean a shorter sidewall which can translate into better handling. New rims probably also means an increase in wheel width. Wider tires equals better road-holding.

3. Springs: While purely cutting the springs won't really do anything, putting in new stiffer, shorter springs will improve handling due to less body roll.
 

ScanMan

Diabloii.Net Member
adamfgt78 said:
3. Springs: While purely cutting the springs won't really do anything, putting in new stiffer, shorter springs will improve handling due to less body roll.
This only helps if custom Spindles and possibly control arms are installed to keep the suspension geometery correct.

We've had 3 "modded" Hondas through the shop here in the last month or so that had the upper ball joints/control arms wiped out due to incorrect lowering. There was less that 1 inch travel left between the upper ball joint and the body.
 

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
adamfgt78 said:
1. Rims: As stated, new rims could mean a reduction in unsprung weight, which is a good thing. Also, an upgrade in wheel diameter will usually mean a shorter sidewall which can translate into better handling. New rims probably also means an increase in wheel width. Wider tires equals better road-holding.

3. Springs: While purely cutting the springs won't really do anything, putting in new stiffer, shorter springs will improve handling due to less body roll.
1. ok, if that was the reason for new rims wouldn't they just take off the rims all together? I just read this again, new rims =wider, larger tires? no, that is a tire, not a rim. new tires are not listed above, only new rims.

3. That's why I said "cutting springs" instead of "replacing springs" cutting springs will actually hinder performance.

6.You gotta have your sponsors on or else they won't give you the parts/money.

8.The sun gets awful bright and it helps tons with car lights. Those annoying bastards who don't know their head lights are on bright don't bother you if your windows are tinted.
6. if you are in nascar then fine, get sponsors. if you are driving around town no one is sponsoring you. No one is even tricked into thinking you have sponsors.

8. well, since many states have made it illegal to tint windshields that won't help much. the bubbled up "do it yourself" jos certainly don't help visibility or glare. this would also be a better argument for polarized glass than just dark glass. wouldn't sunglasses work better anywaqy? that way you could take them off when it's cloudly and get even better visibility
 

cougar

Diabloii.Net Member
Who cares if people mod there cars.. to each their own. I just modded my PC.. cut a design in the side, glued a piece of plexiglass to the back and put some blue lights in there. Does it help on the pc's performance? Not one bit... but it looks kewl and i've gotten nice comments on it. Not to mention it was a fun project to work on and i got to work with my Dremel skizills ;p
 

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
cougar said:
Who cares if people mod there cars.. to each their own. I just modded my PC.. cut a design in the side, glued a piece of plexiglass to the back and put some blue lights in there. Does it help on the pc's performance? Not one bit... but it looks kewl and i've gotten nice comments on it. Not to mention it was a fun project to work on and i got to work with my Dremel skizills ;p
the thing is some of the above mentioned mods hurt the cars performance. (spring cutting, spoilers on front wheel drive vehicles)

Others are useless in that they just don't do anything. the other difference is people who mod computers know that they are just doing it for looks (over clockers making "icebox" machines excluded of course)
 

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
Damascus said:
It'll be a cold day when I decide to mod my truck, or any car for that matter
I'm going to mod a golf cart. I can put a V-tec sticker on it and claim I'm sponsored by honda. I can even get a chop job done on the roof
 

Crispyknight

Diabloii.Net Member
Gotta put on those goofy twelve inch wide tires that look like them belong on a wheel barrow, too. And gold sparkly rims!
 
Top