Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Useful tool or useful weapon? Forum mores & customs ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LozHinge the Unhinged, Nov 22, 2014.

1. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged Diabloii.Net Member

Serious question:

Why do people on forums often post in order to publicise the poster(s) they have on Ignore?

The Ignore feature is helpful, in fact, it's an essential part of enjoying most forums in my experience. But why tell everyone the identity of individuals you ignore?

Not picking a fight, I'm curious. It would be very helpful if names and info that identify individuals is left out of this discussion.

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

It's just a psych tactic intended to tweak the blocked person's nerves. It's childish to publicize but everybody has their petty moments so there's no point in being overly judgmental (unless it escalates a feud, which is occasionally the goal).

Not sure what kind of interesting discussion we can have on the matter. It's 101 level psych stuff IMO.

EDIT: According to your thread title, you're obviously interested in other weird forum behaviors as well. If you have specific questions, ask away. I've seen it all, man. :D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  3. LozHinge the Unhinged

Well, as you've joined the thread anyway, Dredd, I would like an explanation of *everything*.

On a serious note, I absolutely know why people talk about whom it is they "ignore" (in the good old days of Usenet it was all about the "killfile"). What I wanted was for someone to come up with something unusual as an explanation.

It could still happen, even with Dredd jumping straight to the final post :) :p

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Dredd likes to get to the point so he can get back to his damn game (usually)! :D

I promise I'll stay out of the discussion. I was under the impression that you were looking for lucid answers. :)

5. LozHinge the Unhinged

I don't believe that. That's the answer to life, the Universe and everything, I just want *everything*.

The meta-game is the game, there is no "in" and there is no "out".

What? WTH am I going to do with a *lucid* answer? Sheesh!

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Not really useful IMHO - I don't have one when dealing with people IRL.
    IRL I use a Big Stick and rocks. Step on toes, or walk away etc.
    :D

I seem to recall Dredd claiming he has no idea what went on with people in some cases though and IMHO that's better than claiming to somehow understand everyone else's motives in detail all the time.

7. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

Since "people" is obviously referring to me... :p

Yeah, I admit it was partly me being a little childish I guess, but it was mostly me being fascinated about how the religion conversation minus another "people" actually seemed to be more interesting and lucid despite being half a conversation. It's not the first time I've ignored him, but it never lasts, my current record is about 3 months. (*insert Brokeback Mountain "I can't quit you" meme here*) I'm sure I won't keep him ignored for long, though.

Oops! Already un-ignored him! I rack'a disciprine!

I must say though, the ignore feature is WAY more awesome than it used to be! Before, it would just block posts, but if someone quoted the ignored individual, it would show up. With this new board, IT'S ALL GONE! No quotes, No nothin'.

8. LozHinge the Unhinged

Well, I'll confess that it was your [Techno's] announcement that triggered the question but you [Techno] are not the target of the question. I see it happen often in the forums I frequent and I am trying to establish if there is an rationale beyond the obvious for why folks do this.

I'm not condemning the practice, after all it's very similar to people posting "You're an idiot and I refuse to listen to you any more" (a valid choice on occasion). I am hoping for someone to explain exactly how they feel it will improve matters for them.

I could easily have posted the question in another forum I am active in but ... well ... for grown-ups, they can be a bit childish upon occasion and they need careful handling.

I must say that I agree with Techno's description of a forum containing no posts from someone one might consider to be a PITA. When I have used "Ignore" (and I do use it), the forum I am in is transformed and a far nicer place to be in.
    It's my personal choice that I do not advertise whom I have placed on Ignore. I feel no useful purpose is served by it but - I could be wrong about that.

9. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, I thought it was more directed at me than it was then. :p

Beyond the obvious reasons like you said, I guess motives and appropriateness depend on context. Some people are just hotheads that use it offensively (and publicly) if someone is beneath their standards or whatever. I think those people are generally dbags. I see that a lot in games. I imagine how you're probably using it (just pure conjecture) falls into another category of just trying to get away from annoyance. You're not trying to make some kind of point out of it or deride anyone. You don't want them to go away mad, just to go away. I think what may drive a lot of people to publicize it though is if the ignoree is someone they consider a public nuisance. Publicizing it serves to drop a hint to others that they may wish to follow suit, or as a warning to the ignoree that they are losing their audience and may lose more if they don't straighten up (a more proactive version of "don't feed the trolls").

Now me, I never ignore anyone. He's the only person I've ever ignored on a forum, but it never lasts (done it more than once), it's just me being sick of watching the train wreck and personal attacks for a while. Of course my morbid curiosity always brings me back. This is the first time I've ever mentioned it though (I think...). It's also the first time I've seen it totally erase all traces of someone's activities. Before, there were always quotes that spoiled it, rendering it somewhat useless. That's why it seemed so remarkable this time and worth remarking upon.

Well, those are my thoughts on the issue anyway.

10. LozHinge the Unhinged

I agree that the fact you no longer see quoted test is amazingly cool and wonderful, it makes me love the facility even more :)

I'm pretty good at ignoring people who annoy me without using the "Ignore" feature but sometimes, there are people who I just know are going to get me into trouble ... I make those people disappear.

Merv is a cheerful lunatic and I enjoy his insanity - if he gets O.T.T. or if I feel I am going to say something that will truly upset him, I walk away. I don't know how much he means it when he piles in the abuse but I choose not to take it personally (rightly or wrongly, it doesn't matter).

OK Merv, we've finished, you can come back into the thread.

:p