Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

use of steroids in sports

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mexicanoloco, May 4, 2005.

1. mexicanoloco

mexicanoloco IncGamers Member

use of steroids in sports

what do you think about it?

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

bad

10 chars

3. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

...Nay?
    Do we even need a discussion about this?

4. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

it makes your willy smaller=no ladies=no thanks

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I am against it.

6. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Well actually that doesn't really matter.
    Use steroid->perform better->become famous, and rich->get practically any lady you want.
    In that sense, smaller weenie doesn't really matter.

7. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

it can get so small your ladie wont get satisfaction ive been told, would you get laid often then?

8. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

add six zeros to the end of every paycheck and you'll never have a problem getting laid again.

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

I knew a guy that started with gorilla pills. After awhile he got really aggresive for the smallest things and apperantly he no longer could perform in bed which he blamed on his girlfriends accent so he punched off her lower jaw and then the police came and beat the crap out of him and tossed him in prison.

10. Matteo

Matteo IncGamers Member

Just did a report on this in my biology class actually. It was interesting my teacher said something like 70% of competing skiiers claimed to be asthmatic and were able to use an inhaler for the races, which helped them get more oxygen.

11. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Depends on the sport. Steroid users kinda weed themselves out in some sports. I'm sure MMA fighters, boxers, etc. enjoy having opponents who go down for the count after three or four good body shots. Track runners and swimmers probably don't mind being up against stiff, overweight competitors. I could even see an argument for Barry Bonds having weeded himself out, as his knee problems probably stem from being well above his natural competitive weight.

12. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Against it. If you cannot work youself up to specs because of a genetic reason, maybe. otherwise, don't call yourself a man.

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

its stupid. totally kills the fun from the sport, both for the player and for the audience.

14. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I'm against it in proffesional sports. If you take steroids so u can beat someone in a casual game of <insert sport here>, then it's your business. Unless there is a bet on the game.

So basically, if there is money riding on the game, it's bad. Otherwise it's ur business.

15. Satans_Advocate

Satans_Advocate IncGamers Member

Steroids don't make your wang smaller.

They can make your testicles shrink during a cycle, but they usually return to natural size when done cycling.

Post cycle therapy can be administered if they do not.

As for the topic, i don't see what the big controversy is about. Steroids have been used for years in nearly every professional sport ( football, olympics, baseball, etc. ) and i doubt they will cease use anytime soon. Testing doesn't help, because there things they can take to help them test clean. So, if it makes the sport more competitive and more entertaining, go ahead and let em juice their balls off.

16. plasmo

plasmo IncGamers Member

Some outtakes from a couple of relevant Slate articles:

William Saletan
    The Beam in Your Eye
    If steroids are cheating, why isn't LASIK?
    Posted Sunday, April 17, 2005, at 9:36 PM PT
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2116858/

A month ago, Mark McGwire was hauled before a congressional hearing and lambasted as a cheater for using a legal, performance-enhancing steroid precursor when he broke baseball's single-season home run record.

A week ago, Tiger Woods was celebrated for winning golf's biggest tournament, the Masters, with the help of superior vision he acquired through laser surgery.

What's the difference?

But illegality doesn't explain why a drug should be illegal, and the steroid precursor McGwire took, andro, was legal at the time.

Don't get me wrong. If you buy a steroid off the street or the Internet today just to bulk up, you're taking a stupid risk. But much of that risk comes from your ignorance and the dubious grade of steroid you're getting. A star player with access to the best stuff and the best medical supervision isn't taking the same degree of risk.

That leaves one comprehensive complaint: cheating.

If the andro that helped McGwire hit 70 home runs in 1998 was an unnatural, game-altering enhancement, what about his high-powered contact lenses? "Natural" vision is 20/20. McGwire's custom-designed lenses improved his vision to 20/10

William Saletan
    Let Them Eat Steak
    The horrors of "natural" athletic enhancement.
    Updated Monday, May 2, 2005, at 10:27 AM PT
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2117568/

But the central flaw in last month's hearing is just as glaring today: the thoughtless equation of performance enhancement with drugs, unnatural substances, physical harm, and cheating.

NFL union boss Gene Upshaw declares, "There is no place for performance-enhancing substances in our American life." These men are reading from prepared statements. Do they understand what they're saying? Do they really mean no performance enhancement? No Ritalin? No beta blockers? No coffee?

If you limit your steroid dosage to stay below that threshold, how exactly is that harmful? And if it isn't harmful, how exactly is it cheating?

Blocking has become sumo wrestling. Offensive linemen are selected for their bulk; therefore, defensive linemen are selected the same way. If steroids were to blame, these guys would be spectacularly muscular. They aren't. Many have 25 to 30 percent body fat, says Lombardo.

This is what happens when you equate unnatural performance enhancement with drugs. You end up thinking that a kid who puts 33 percent more weight on the same frame is okay because he's "clean," and a sport that offers millions of dollars to guys carrying 90 pounds of fat is exonerated.

17. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

I have 20/10 vision. Have had it all my life with no help. Tiger won Masters tournaments before without the eye surgery. That is a lame argument for the media to compare the eye surgery to McGwire. It's almost laughable. Major apple and oranges. Mark McGwire didn't hit for even close to 70 homeruns prior to using performance-enhancing drugs. Steroids are not only are illegal, but they are harmful. Its about time pro sports are going to get serious about doing something. Justify it all you want but you aren't going to find too many people that think taking steroids is safe.

18. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

You guys wanna talk about steroids or do you wanna watch me hit a few dingers?

dingers, dingers!

*smack*

OooOoOOooooo

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think sports need MORE steroids. Which would you rather see? A bunch of regular ol' humans playing what you can see any group of kids play or a bunch of super-mutants in ultimate battle royales?

20. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Only if they start killing eachother.