Usamah's Veno\Returnomancer Guild Ver 1.0

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

Blocking Formula:

Blocking % = (Shield Block% × [Dex – 15]) ÷ (CLevel × 2 )

In which: Blocking % = The chance to actually block an attack
Shield Block % = The chance to block displayed on a shield
Dex = Dexterity of your character
Clevel = The Level of your character

OK..this sounds good to me..I'm gonna make this as my next Nec. I am a Necro freak. All my best chars are and have always been Necros.

I have most of the gear or at least its equivalent...so I can try this out and see how it does. My biggest concern is makin the Pnova do the damage you say it can and get LR to break the Immunity...

Here is my question..I see you were talkin' about Poison Immunes and using INSANELY high LR to break the Immunity.

Now I am makin some assumptions.

A) That LR will be pumpted decently with the bonuses from the gear...the Facets and Web that lower the resist of the taget as well to get it to -110.

B) That Spirit of Barbs and Thorns and Iron Maiden all stack together, makin for insane damage return.

C) That PNova is meant to be Spammed.

Are my assumptions correct?

usamahanas

Diabloii.Net Member
dead munkey said:
A) That LR will be pumpted decently with the bonuses from the gear...the Facets and Web that lower the resist of the taget as well to get it to -110.
B) That Spirit of Barbs and Thorns and Iron Maiden all stack together, makin for insane damage return.
C) That PNova is meant to be Spammed.Are my assumptions correct?
for your first point:
1:Only LR CURSE can breake Poison Immunities, however it'll have a penalty 80%.
2: -% enemy resist from gear is calculating only if the monster isn't poison resisted, and here comes the most importance of this mode in venomancer gear.
so to make it simple for ya I'll give you two examples:
A: normal monster which has 50% poison resistnce: LR makes i,e -55% enemy resistance and you have from gear i.e -85% (death's web, 3 trang's pieces) so that monster resistance will be -90%
B: poison immune monster (breakable): they have +110% poison resistance, so taking the same numbers as above, your LR (to break immunities) will suffer the 80% penalty= LR has only -11% to monster, which will take the resistance to +99%. Then comes your -% resistance from gear (this won't have the 80% penalty) that makes in our case the enemy resistance +14%.
C: poison immune monster (unbreakable): they have 120% poison resistance.

for your second point ya the throns aura does stack as I mentioned in the guide.

usa

Ok thanks. Now what level is your LR at...to break the Immunity and

Also I wanted to know if Iron Maiden would stack with the Spirit of Barbs and Thorns...Now that you have clarified that the auras stack...just wanted to know about Iron Maiden

usamahanas

Diabloii.Net Member
dead munkey said:
Ok thanks. Now what level is your LR at...to break the Immunity and

Also I wanted to know if Iron Maiden would stack with the Spirit of Barbs and Thorns...Now that you have clarified that the auras stack...just wanted to know about Iron Maiden
Mad Mantis has ansewered you for the second question and for the first question 1 point in LR is enough with + skills from your gear, so don't invest more than 1 skill point here

danc133

Diabloii.Net Member
Not really a viable build for most especially on ladder or single player. Without all the high end gear this is a struggle in progress. If you play MP and trade and mule might be ok seems like there are several holes in it. One I see is there are plenty of poison immunes/stoneskin. There are a few others that stand out. Without topshelf gear this build will obviously crash and burn.

Kyo

Diabloii.Net Member
danc133 said:
Not really a viable build for most especially on ladder or single player. Without all the high end gear this is a struggle in progress. If you play MP and trade and mule might be ok seems like there are several holes in it. One I see is there are plenty of poison immunes/stoneskin. There are a few others that stand out. Without topshelf gear this build will obviously crash and burn.

Sorry but i hate to say this but your talking rubbish. You have obviously not tried this build yourself. I just finished the entire game solo without any boosts or groups and it was like a stroll in the park on ladder. That is without high end gear. Curses and careful play with your minions is the key. Biggest mistake for most is just blindly leading your minions into a room/area expecting them to just do the rest without help or strategy.

Full or Partial Trangs shouldn't be too hard to get couple with this build imo it probably the easiest and safest builds to play for PvM. D-clone was a breeze (without being too big headed ) :surprise:

Kyo

Diabloii.Net Member
Saying that i might mention that i built my Poison/Summoner Hybrid differently (as i virtually completed this before this guide was written) in terms of gear and SP/stat order while retaining the core skills for this build. To my surprise the the route i took gave results much better than I expected.

NC - :thumbsup:

mr_mop

Diabloii.Net Member
I am up to level 38 on Europe Ladder making one of these guys, great fun so far.
One question I have is about LR. I usually use Amp Damage to help out the skeletons. Do I need to worry about LR to help poision damage, or is it enough with all the synergies etc?

gvandale

Diabloii.Net Member
mr_mop said:
I am up to level 38 on Europe Ladder making one of these guys, great fun so far.
One question I have is about LR. I usually use Amp Damage to help out the skeletons. Do I need to worry about LR to help poision damage, or is it enough with all the synergies etc?
in norm / nm lr won't be too big of an issue. in hell, it will make a huge difference in your killing speed.

i usually use lr, but it's personal preference.

i'd say if you are max poison, use lr more / if your max skele's, use amp more.

g loves poison

usamahanas

Diabloii.Net Member
danc133 said:
ya, what Kyo sayed, is right :)
and just to let you know, my character is in SP mode and his most equipment were realy nothing special(most were magic and caster crafted itemz!!) and I've beaten the whole game with him without any major problems.
IMO the most imprtant equipment for this necro is trang gloves, and they are very easy to obtain in SP so for Ladder ppl it's much easier. After that go for 3 trang items (belt, gloves and shield) and if you can't find/afford the belt then go instead with the armour, which is much easier to get than the belt and have some nice state on it for your summons also.
@mr_mop: LR is essential for you, but as Gvandal sayed in normal and beginning of NM Lr isn't that much important, however I recommend to invest 1 point here when your clvl is mid 40 so you can go much easier with stuff killing

usamahanas

Diabloii.Net Member
Add On to the Guide Veno\Returnomancer ver 1.1

Add On Veno\Returnomancer

Contents:

1. Merc Gear

2. Rune Hunting

• Introduction
• Gear
• Area
• Conclusion

3. Magic Finding

• Introduction
• Gear
• Area
• Strategy
• Conclusion

4. General Tips for Baal running ;)

5. Credits
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Merc Gear:

The best gear for experience players for their merc would be:
Crescent Moon Rune word on superior/non superior eth Great Poleaxe
Guilem’s Face socketed with IAS jewel (or better ED/IAS or Resistance/IAS)
Duress Rune word (for those who can make it) otherwise normal Duriel’s Shell or Lion’s Heart Rune word (Sure you can go for CoH but its too expensive)

The main disadvantage of this Setup the Life leaching lacking but as I said this is only recommended for experience players who can keep eye on their moron’s life and cast life tab as necessary or give them full purple potion. In the other Hand this Setup has MANY advantages:
1: Static Field auto cast
2: 50% CB
3: Very good attack speed
4: High damage

Now I’ll list another alternative for people who don’t want to pay much attention for merc life and want just to enjoy the game while their merc still alive

Weapon:

Again Crescent Moon rune word on superior/non superior eth Great Poleaxe

Armour:

Black Hade’s socketed with Tal, Ort and Ral or
Duriel’s Shell (mainly because of CBF)

Helm:

Tal Rasha’s Horadric Crest or
Crown of Thieves or
Vampire Gaze (the PDR here isn’t that bad)

This merc gear will be more than enough for the whole game for your merc, only in one situation you should make change and that’s against baal so after you kill the minions go to town and change your merc weapon to 3x Shael socketed Hone Sudan (ED% on it isn’t that important) even non upgraded the 45% CB will be the best friend for you against Baal, so with this your Merc have 95% CB which will make Baal. I found it better and spare much time to do that than to revive those Ulder against Baal.

2. Rune Hunting:

• Introduction:

In the rune hunting there’s unfortunately nothing to do more than improve your killing speed as speedy as possible AND to choose the appropriate area to run. There’s a wonderful Excel Sheet from Lord Ulrik’s in which he calculates the drop chances in each Area 85 and the super unique monster it’s worth to take a look at that work. In generally necro for rune hunting is a very good character, the only area which he isn’t that good to run is the Countess unless you have Enigma for teleporting otherwise it’ll take ages to do 1k Countess Runs.

• Gear:

There’s nothing special to say here other than equip your best ever items you can have i.e. Death’s Web, Bramble…etc. Also make sure that your Merc has Crescent Moon weapon.

• Area:

This is up to you which area you like to run but I’ll go briefly and describe what’s the best area to run and why,

1: Flyer Jungle: this is the best area to run with this necro IMO, since those small fetishes are in hundreds and your Pnova will hit them all in one cast and also their life is small and they don’t have Poison Immunities only some of them have but their immunity is breakable;). So with good gear you should kill everything with one Pnova. From my own Experience it’s worth rune hunting here and also you’ll find 10~15 green and gold items here.

2: River of Flame: in thin area you’ll find two monsters that have unbreakable resistance Regurigator and Blood Maggot (not the blood Maggot young whose poison immunity can be broken!). So with static from your merrc and CE corpses from other monster who don’t have poison immunity you should take them all also in no time (be sure before starting your CE-chain that monster are static fielded and amplify them don’t CE while there are cursed with LR it’s much better with amplify damage).

3. Cow Secret Level: this is the funniest area to run lol. You’ll harvest those cows with your necro like crazy , those cows will have -100% poison resist (original +33%) from your LR and from your gear so enjoy Pnova them 2-3 times and use CE so the group will die in no time. One more thing here try always to have your maximum revive of cows then after that run around so you can attract 3-4 group of cows then after that Pnova them 3 times after that start CE 4-6 casts and everything is dead in the whole screen

• Conclusion:

As we’ve seen this build is very good in running specific area for rune hunting and in the same time very safe and good in killing speed. May be other character class are somehow better in running some area but this is not the place to discuss such an Issue

3. Magic Finding:

• Introduction:

Magic finding is the most hot spot subject in D2, everyone want to have those über items and all dreams his next Baal drop will be WF or GF …etc.
In this section I’ll explain how to Magic find with this necro, however there’s already many other builds to do that but I’ve it would be great, more rewarding and more fun to magic finding while you’re levelling with this necro especially at the late stage of the game where levelling takes Ages to do. I’ve levelled my necro to almost clvl 97 by now with Baal runs on P8 and with my MF gear is on.

• Gear:

You’ll have the normal gear that I suggested in the gear section but with those changes:
Armour: Skulder’s Ire socketed with perfect topaz (sure you can go for Enigma if you can afford but it’s very expensive)
Helm: Harlequin Crest socketed with Perfect Topaz
Boots: War Traveller
Weapon switch: 2x Ist Ali baba
Shield switch: Splender or Rhym (if you have many Ists then make 4x Ist Monarch or even 3x Ist in any 3x normal socketed shield with low str requirement the lowest is large Shield only 34 str requirement)
Charms: obviously Gheed’s Fortune and also some sc with 7% mf (preferably with second mood like resistance)

With this gear you’ll have about ~485%MF on switch and without ~320%mf not bad at all and don’t forget you’re still having your most effective gear on (Death’s Web, 3 Trang items, 2x Soj)

• Area:

I’ll not go in details about all area in the game but I’ll list the most familiar area here

1. Pits: the most beloved area in the game for many people, the best advantages to run this area with this necro is that this area doesn’t have any poison immunity at all. So you’ll harvest this area within 10 minutes which isn’t bad at all.
2. Ancients Tunnel: this is also a good alternative but not as good as pits because it has immunity which will make the run take a little bit more than it supposed to be
3: Baal and his 5 waves minion: you’ll do wonder here against them, they are too easy and have good exp with p8 setting

• Strategy:
Since you’re mfind % is low without the bonus on the switch and you’re killing speed will be low on the switch (no main weapon and loose the -25% poison immunity on Trang shield) you’ll have to follow the next strategy:
you come to a group of monster cast LR on them and Pnova as usual, then do that till the life bar of those monsters are near empty, in this time your merc attack will take out a monster, so the situation now monsters with very low life and a corpse of from your merc attack now it’s the time to switch your weapon and use amplify damage on monsters then CE them, usually 1~2 CE and everything is dead.
Against Act bosses do the same strategy till they are near dead then switch weapon (as usual)

• Conclusion:

With this necro build you’ll be able to kill very fast and have beside good mfinding%, IMO in Mfinding the more runs you do the best results you have, so if you can manage to make Baal run within 5 minutes with 400%mf is better than doing the same run within 10 minutes and 800% mf because of the diminishing return in mfinding.

4. General Tips for Baal running:

Since I have many questions from friends about some problems against Baal and how they can solve them, I found it worthy to explain some *tricks* to others;) I’ll list those problems in question format and then answer them

Q: I find it very difficult to kill the fourth wave of Baal minions, since they have unbreakable poison immunity, so what to do against them?

A: That’s why you must equip your merc with Crescent Moon Rune Word, so your merc will attack them then static them, and in this time use your fire wall (bonus from 3 Trang items) which should have 1k damage on the monster which is been attacked by your merc so the first corpse will generate VERY fast then use CE and wait a little to have the second corpse then CE then oops they are all dead lol

Q: I have already equipped my merc with Crescent Moon but Baal is keeping casting decrepify on my merc what to do?

A: Baal is a very stupid monster, so as a necro you’ll have always the appropriate skill to overcome any situation. So to avoid such a situation go a little back in the thorn chamber in order to let your merc come back then when Baal spawn his minion in front of you cast a clay golem behind the enemy and in front of Baal (simply on the stair in front of Baal), so what will happen now? The stupid Baal will see the clay Golem in front of him and will automatically cast decrepify on him (he’ll not cast on your skelly or merc who aren’t close to him) so that’s done and the clay golem will stay in his place between Baal from behind and Baal’s minion in front of him.

Q: When I go to fight Baal I use clay golem and amp on him but Baal is still casting a lot of his curses and he’s somehow dangerous to me and my army, what to do?

A: Classic answer uses decrepify on him + clay, but if you don’t like that then here’s my answer:
Don’t forget that you have 1 point in mage (as a pre request for revive) and from the +skills from your gear you’ll be able to have up to 4~6 mages. Try to have at least one of them with cold attack (simply resummon them if they spawn with other magic attacks) when you’re doing Baal. Cold mages will make it sure that Baal are chilled and just see how the poor Baal don’t move at all lol

5. Credits

-Special thanks for SPF members who has inspired to come back to the game after I left it:)
-Thanks to all SPF and Necro members, who have asked, discussed, made more suggestions and idea with me for this Guide.
- Thanks to diabloii.net, battle.net and d2data.net web sites for their information.
-Thank you all for reading the guide

Usamahanas

gvandale

Diabloii.Net Member
Usamahanas said:
Armour: Black Head’s
No such item. Do you also use merman's sprocket?

Also, try giving a more general list of items / mods that are usefull. Giving only 1 suggestion for each slot is pretty weak, especially since your suggestions are flawed to say the least.

g

usamahanas

Diabloii.Net Member
gvandale said:
No such item. Do you also use merman's sprocket?

Also, try giving a more general list of items / mods that are usefull. Giving only 1 suggestion for each slot is pretty weak, especially since your suggestions are flawed to say the least.

g
thanks for the note:) , it's just a writting fault I ment Black Hades (unique Chaos Armor) :teeth:
anyway I'll correct that now in the post.
About more options, I can go for more and more but I've wanted to that section briefly since the guide is already too long.

gvandale

Diabloii.Net Member
It's never too long. Make it informative. I can think of at least 5 weapons that are as cheap and of much more use then what you have listed. Same goes for armor / helm.

Try this:

I wear xxx weapon / xxx armor / xxx helm

If you don't like / can't find those, look for the following mods:
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx
xxx

see how easy that is?