Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Usages of low runes

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Chromesto, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Chromesto

Chromesto IncGamers Member

Usages of low runes

Since I like to stock all the things that drop in front of me these days I've naturally ended up with mules filled with low runes ranging from El to Fal. Some of them have very obvious ways to be consumed but the rest are harder. Should I gather big 20+ packs of them and store them until I find a crafter who needs them and is willing to pay something like Ist for 20 or 40 for some kind of rune that seems to have no value to anyone. Or should I just either cube them into the next rune or simply stop picking them up?

Here is a list I arranged what I know about these low runes at the moment:
    Code:
    El   : ?
    Eld  : ?
    Tir  : (Insight)
    Nef  : ?
    Eth  : ?
    Ith  : (Crafting)
    Tal  : Spirit, (Crafting), (Insight)
    Ral  : Crafting, (Insight)
    Ort  : Spirit
    Thul : Spirit
    Amn  : Spirit, (socketing)
    Sol  : Crafting, (Insight)
    Shael: (socketing)
    Dol  : ?
    Hel  : Spirit, (socketing/emptying)
    Io   : ?
    Lum  : ?
    Ko   : ?
    Fal  : ?
    Usages in brackets mean that I know that that usage eats a bit of them but the demand is not big.

At the moment I think that I should just cube all my Shaels into Dols and further into Hels as those are the rarest runes needed for full Spirit packs (though I'll keep few of them at hand if I happen to need more ias/fhr/fbr on my gear). Dols don't seem to have any usage so they should be turned into Hels. Right?

Io, Lum, Ko and Fal are even harder. Is there anything that needs them? Except maybe a single runeword that someone makes once and needs one or two of any of these runes for it. Cubing them into Lem or Pul is a long rocky road and would eat up huge amounts of these runes so it's not really an option.

And how about runes from El to Eth? Keep like 2 or 3 of each of them for random high level runewords and don't pick more? Well maybe 10-20 Tirs just in case I want to reroll some insights one day.

Orts seem to be dropping a lot these days so it might be wise to save them to Spirit packs and possibly cube more into Thuls if those are missing from those packs (though Hels are likely to be the hardest runes for those packs to get).

2. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Re: Usages of low runes

You may want +6 valkerie from harmony one day so you could keep the ko's for rerollls. Some people put eths in weapons. Nef's can be used for crafting Blood gloves (duel leech). El and Eld are can be cubed to Nef's.

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Shael is required for various good midlevel runewords (Treachery and Oath for example).

4. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

thul is for crafting as nef´s are too. thuls are very valuable once u find someone crafting caster boots. nef for knockback gloves

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Next to useless (not worth cubing up and you will find far more than needed for runewords, socketing etc.): El, Eld, Shael, Io, Eth

Worth cubing up (but keep 2-3 for runewords or other cube recipes): Dol, Lum, Fal.

Worth keeping (apart from those which are already mentioned in the list): Nef, Ko

If anybody has a better idea about what to do with greater amounts of Shael and Io (except for cubing up), please let me know, they start collecting dust and waste space on my mules :smug:.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

El and Eld can be used for creating ilvl 1 whites for starter gear (necro heads come to mind) and for getting guaranteed 3sox in your elite armor.

Tir, I really don't see a good use for except as socketing either alone (MPK-gear for low lvl casters) or as part of runewords (Insight comes to mind)

Nefs are for blood gloves (not KB gloves as stated above)

Eth... dunno, never had any interest in them

Iths are for caster belts, but caster belts aren't a popular use for Pamethysts

Tals are for spirit rerolls, or for cubing to Rals when they are in surplus

Rals are for caster amulets, Insights. I never cube them to Ort.

Orts are for spirits, and for KB gloves. I rarely cube them to Thul.

Thuls are for spirits, caster boots and safety amulets. I never cube them, as they require a chipped topaz, and I don't feel like keeping those.

Amns are for spirits, and the occational blood amulet. I never cube them.

Sols are for Insights, blood rings and a LOT of runewords. Good armor socket on its own.

Shaels are no good for crafting, but are used with Tals to up normal armor. Good socket on its own, and part of a lot of runewords. I never cube them, but I don't keep a lot of them either.

Dols are just about only good for cubing to Hel.

Hels are always in demand. Good for socketing in weapons, but they're beaten by jewels for armor/helm/shield.

Io have no good uses AFAIK, mainly because +vit isn't affected by +%life skills/items

Lums are part of many runewords, and the upping recipe for excep-->elite unique weapons. They cube to KO, which have even more uses.

Kos are needed in many powerful runewords, and they are the only way of getting +10 dex from a weapon or a shield. They are also needed to up excep armor to elite.

Fals have some rare upping use, I think. They cube to Lem, which is what most of my Fals are used for. Only way of getting +10 str from weapon or shield.

Lems are used in tons of runewords, they are THE socket for the ever popular goldfind characters, and they're needed for upping excep armor to elite. I never cube them up, and even if I needed a Pul rune badly, cubing six Lem runes nets two Puls, but trading will net three.

Puls are currency, needed in many runewords, the only way of getting %defense from a socket, cube to Um, needed for upping excep unique weapons to elite.... You can never have too many.

Ums are bested by jewels for armor/helm, and almost matched by Pdiamonds for shields. Nevertheless, they are worth very very close to two pul runes, and they are the only way of getting OW from weapons. Also needed to up rare weapons, IIRC.

I guess that sums up more than "low" runes for now.

7. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Nice list, very useful.

Glad it's not just me that gathers faar too many Shaels, they're good + useful so i can't leave them on the ground but still haven't a clue what to do with them all :)

Eth - used in Blood crafting for boots, granted Gores are the usual choice but I have seen people wanting eth blood craft packs.

and yeah, Nef should be used for crafting KB gloves - always annoys me that it isn't :grrr:

8. Chromesto

Chromesto IncGamers Member

I tried to find the way how this works but my Arreat Summit skills are apparently lacking. Does it work by using these recipes:

1 Eld Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon of same type
    1 El Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + Low Quality Armor = Normal Quality Armor of same type

Both recipes set ilvl to 1. Do Elite armors get 3 socket from socketing quest after that? (I wasn't able to find how socket count was determined. ^^;; ) This would be quite handy.

I also added a lot of things into the list of mine. Thank you for the feedback. :) Here is the updated list in order someone else wants to take it as a rough guide.
    Code:
    El   : ?
    Eld  : ?
    Tir  : (Insight)
    Nef  : (Craft Blood Gloves)
    Eth  : (Craft Blood Boots)
    Ith  : (Craft Caster Belt)
    Tal  : Spirit, (Crafting), (Insight), Upgrade to Ral, (Uni Norm->Exc Armor Upgrading)
    Ral  : Craft Caster Amulet, (Insight)
    Ort  : Spirit, Craft Hit Power Gloves
    Thul : (Craft Caster Boots & Safety Amulet), Spirit
    Amn  : Spirit, (Craft Blood Amulet), (Socketing)
    Sol  : Craft Blood Ring, (Insight), (Runewords), (Socketing)
    Shael: (Socketing), (Runewords), (Uni Norm->Exc Armor Upgrading)
    Dol  : Upgrade to Hel
    Hel  : Spirit Packs, Emptying Sockets, (Socketing)
    Io   : ?
    Lum  : (Runewords), (Uni Exc->Eli Weapon Upgrading), (Upgrade to Ko)
    Ko   : (Runewords), (Uni Exc->Eli Armor Upgrading)
    Fal  : (Rare Exc->Eli Weapon Upgrading), Upgrade to Lem
    Lem  : (Trading Currency), (Uni Exc->Eli Armor Upgrading), (Socketing)
    Pul  : Trading Currency, (Runewords), (Socketing), (Uni Exc-Eli Weapon Upgrading), Upgrade to Um
    Um   : Trading Currency, (Socketing), (Rare Exc->Eli Weapon Upgrade)

9. krischan

Yes, all elite armors will get 3 sockets then.

You can find more info about the issue in the wiki: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Sockets

10. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

Its useful for necro heads (or other +staffmod gear you want tier 1 skills on) since at low levels you get a lot of cracked stuff. I went through about 50 El's to get a halfdecent necro head for splendor.

11. Nekrolysis

Nekrolysis IncGamers Member

Io does go with the White runeword, which gives bone necros a stupidly high amount of +skills.

12. krischan

Io is the most useless rune of those beyond crafting runes, IMO less useful than Shael. I always roll my eyes when hell HF produces one. You certainly don't need more than 1 or 2 Io runes per ladder season for White (if at all) and upgrading produces a Lum rune which rather useless as well (a few runewords and upping unique weapons to elite). What's left is that it adds 10 to vitality, but a pruby in an armor would add more life for everybody except barbs.

13. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

El is useful for fortitude armor and Ko is useful for hoto.

14. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This thread was a really fun read for me, as my perspective is strictly from single-pass untwinked play (and I don´t use RWM so no Spirit or Insight) .

Some of the runes that get mentioned as 'rather useless' almost make me drool when they drop for me, especially Lum and Amn.

Amn is used for upgrading normal rare weapons to exceptional - the major way for me to get decent weapons for Nightmare difficulty. I must have used that upgrading recipe about 10 times as often as all the other 7 upgrade recipes combined...

Io is used in 'Black' weapons, awesome boss killer weapon in the late game. Otherwise I cube them to Lum, which has several uses.

15. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

I think it's assumed that everyone will keep ~3 of each rune, for making RW's. I think the thread is more aimed at what is worth keeping bulk for trading / using.

16. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Ive seen people overpay for EL (and to some degree ELD) to make fortitude/botd; but it happens sporadically.

ID say that HEL runes are quite a nice currency, since they are used to reroll spirit runewords.