Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

US vs. Panama

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, Jun 9, 2005.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

US vs. Panama

***************GAME SPOILERS******************
    If you don't want spoilers, don't read this thread.

So did anyone watch that game late last night? Wow, the first half was fantastic. I was surprised by that first goal. And the second goal was a wonderful ball taken out of the air. I have a little more faith in the US offense now. Defense, however, is a different question.

And how about Kasey Keller? I can't believe that flurry of saves he had around the 25th minute. That was truly stunning. Even my friends who know nothing about soccer thought it was awesome.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Keller was amazing--frankly, if not for the US' world-class goaltending (yes, the US has world-class goaltenders), the US would struggle a lot more. They defend well against some types of play, but not against, for example, the type of game Panama was playing in the first half last night. Perfect example was that bullet rifled from the top of the circle which Keller, even in full extension, had no chance at. Thankfully it richocheted harmlessly off the post and left me with my heart in my throat.

I only managed to watch the first half, since it was so bloody late, and with a 3-0 lead I was pretty confident the US would shut Panama down, especially after being at RFK stadium for the blowout we dealt them the first time around.

In other WCQ news, Argentina routed Brazil 3-1 last night in Buenos Aires, sealing their berth in the 2006 World Cup. My father was evil enough to call me twice from the stadium to rub in the fact that he was there.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You know, I'm starting to look like a big(ger) jerk for continuously doubting Donovan. Damn his living up to expectations!

Looks like, barring something extreme, the U.S. is through to Germany. I'd still like to see them kick the crap out of the Tricolores on 3 Sept. Lousy Mexican national team.

4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

mac, I think your criticism was warranted back when Landon was stranded in Germany. He was clearly miserable over there (no one likes being benched at that level), and it was affecting his gameplay. Perhaps this makes him less of a professional, but I don't think it makes him less of a player. Now that he's back stateside and putting up numbers at home, regaining his confidence and logging time on the pitch, I think he'll start producing like he's expected to. The last two games for the US seem to indicate this is already starting.

5. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I've been very impressed with Donovan the past two games. But the star of the team is definitely Kasey Keller. His saves have not only kept the US from giving up early goals, but really invigorated the team. And I was looking on espn.com at the roster, Tony Meola is listed. How old is he?

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Keller and Meola were both born in 1969. The only difference is, one of them is really, really, really good and the other one is Tony Meola.

7. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Heh, that was just good.

Yeah, Keller was great in this game again. He didn't have to make as many saves to keep the US up, but he did have that one flurry that I couldn't figure out how he pulled off.

Donovan, in his constant attempts to spite mac, played great once again. His header to put the US up 2-0 was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I'm always on McBride for being lame, but he pulled his weight in this game, although his goal was almost pure luck. Beasley, again in my mind, played relatively poorly. Noonan did well in his start, Hejduk played smart and did what he had to do on the left, and Pope played well aside from his yellow card. I'd really like to see the game up in Hartford in August, but it will require a trip home and some planning. We'll see though.

Another good showing for the US, and I'm damn happy about that. By the way, looking over the European qualifying, I see that Ireland is currently ahead in their group, putting France out of picture. Man do I hope it stays that way. I think Sweden was fighting their way back in too, but I don't remember for sure. And Iran qualified, which I thought was great. Here's to hoping they don't get put in the same group as the US in the first round again. I remember 1998 (yes, I realize that that was Iraq - similar situation though).

8. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

So does anyone have any score summaries and who has definately qualified, whose out and who is still on the bubble?

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Argentina's qualified after their 3-1 rout of Brazil last night. :thumbsup:

And Croup, I'm absolutely certain that game you're talking about was in fact Iran. And it was bloody ugly too.

10. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I guess I'm the only one, but when I saw the thread title, I thought that AJ wanted to talk about Noriega -_-

Then again, I don't care much for football.

11. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I was expecting this to be a "who would win?" thread. I was going to have to beat AJ for thinking Panama had a chance in hell.

So I guess I leave you all with CAPTAIN CANUCK!

I think I beat Durf to that one.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I'll try to get over the disappointment of being beaten to "Captain Canuck."

The Argentina-Brazil highlights were pretty nuts. I'm pretty sure Roberto Carlos kicked the ball about 615 miles an hour for that one goal.

13. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

So US soccer is coming to Germany...... It's so nice to know there is at least one thing Europeans are better at than Americans. We'll see next summer. Holland almost certainly qualified already, I hope the two sides meet!

David.

14. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Yeah, it was. I realized that as I was falling asleep last night. I'm a moron.

15. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You're not a moron, Croup. We're all trying to put 1998 behind us. Butt naked last place.

It's funny how cats still diss the U.S. national team after 2002. Sorry boys, we're for real. I still remember the game on November 19, 1989 that put the U.S into the 1990 World Cup. Get used to it, we're here to stay!

16. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

wow, you guys rolled the mighty panama :thumbsup: ;)

Edit: Calm down guys. You've not won anything yet ;)

17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

1/10 on the troll. The smilies just made me laugh. Roy who?

18. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

19. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

20. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Side note to myleftfoot--sorry, I constantly forget you're not British. Where did the Irish end up in 2002?

You clearly missed that game, David. Let me share with you some write-ups of it:

The only thing that kept the Germans in that game was the performance from Oliver Kahn which earned him the goaltending award for the tournament. On at least three occassions I recall him making death-defying saves that no other keeper alive likely could have. I also recall, after the match, the German coach conceding in the press conference that the Germans did not deserve to win that match and that the US was the better side. That sentiment was echoed by many of the players.

Where did Holland wind up in 2002?