Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

US Loses to Greece!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bg1256, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

US Loses to Greece!

All those superstarts, and we can only compete for the bronze...What is going on with US Basketball?

2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

There is very little money in international basketball.

3. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

It's still a team of NBA stars playing... o_O

4. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

True, but one would hope that professional atheletes might still play for the love of the game and the competition.

I just don't understand how a team with Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and so many others could lose.

Eh, oh well I guess.

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

:laugh:

Professional athletes are not the most noble people around you know. If they love the game that's because it's all they know and because it's given them everything they could possibly want. If they could get paid and treated like half-gods doing any other mildly exciting thing which required less effort they would.

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Well, I have a couple buddies playing basketball overseas...and I can honestly say that at least one of them is doing it because he loves basketball that much.

But they're all small-time....

Point taken.

7. EliManning

EliManning IncGamers Member

I think it's kinda ethnocentric to say that they lost because they don't care. It carries with it the tacit assumption that because a few players are the best in our pro leagues they should beat everyone in the universe no matter what. They'd probably be hard pressed to beat a few teams here in our own country, forget about them stomping all of humanity. They're pretty good and they lost a game. It happens.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

It's a team sport. We should have sent a team, not a bunch of pro prima donnas. The NCAA champs from last year would have won handily.

9. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

But that's what the coaching staff thought they were doing. They tried to assemble a team... guess it didn't work.

And I'm not being ethnocentric. Lebron James, et al are the best individual players in the world, without any question. It's just hard for me to believe they can't put together a team that can win overseas, even when drawing from the best talent pool in the world.

10. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The problem is that they sent individuals, not a team. Individually they're superstars. Each a master of his game. But a team of lesser players working together as a team will consistantly defeat a group of individuals.

11. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

They played the zone. We suck at shooting ... still. They played the pick and roll. We were unable to defend the pick and roll... Mindbogling.

We have no leader. We have three in Carmelo, Wade and Lebron. But they seem to defer to each other. Transalation - no clear leader, no body wants to take over.

Our team was too young. Our three best average 3 years of pro game each.

The international game is physical. We're used to the NBA refereeing pampering. Ironically for Greece, they dont' hold us nearly in the same esteem as we hold ourselves. They went out, laid the forearm on us. And we folded.

We need... Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Ray Allen.

We haven't made it past the bronze round in international competition since... 1994?

And OMG. We need some size. We looked like shrimps out there. Good lord, anyone see "baby shaq"? Dude is huggggeeee.

He's a NFL career if he ever wants to leave basketball.

12. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I didn't see the game, so it's good to hear the recap, jimmyboy. I just saw the score... did you watch it?

13. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I only got in the 4th quarter. Damn! Clippers got rights to baby Shaq. A second rounder!

Game was ugly. You basically saw the Greek pick and roll over and over and over.

I felt like I was watching the Suns - Lakers series all over again.

Wade can score. But he's got to learn some defense.

14. vdzele

vdzele IncGamers Member

I stopped watching NBA somewhere in the late 90’s (I think 1997 / 98 season was the last). I started watching NBA 1973 / 74. That’s about 25 years.

American basketball for me is not a sport anymore. It’s pure popcorn and business. A lot of statistics, meaningless figures for show-offs with no soul in it anymore. Many brainless muscles gathered for a good show, looks more like a circus to me now. Kids like to know statistics of their heroes, but they do not know the beauty of the game. The magic is gone.

Superstars like to collect stat points so they can sell themselves, world championships or Olympics does not mean nothing do them. It’s not their fault; many Americans also don’t know that their is a world championship going on. Many dollars were paid for their insurance from injuries so the show could be continued in their homeland. Why would they bother to risk their health conditions when the money is right.

Still American basketball is the leader, but the world is catching up in huge steps.

15. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

You should watch the Pistons *says the die hard Pistons fan* or at least the Pistons that won the championship a couple years ago.
    Definitely agree. What I find ironic is that several great international players don't have much success in the NBA -- Carlos Delfino comes to mind, only because he plays for the Pistons, and I think it must be because he's a team player trying to play in a league of individuals.

I barely watch the NBA anymore either. I didn't even watch one second of hte Finals, or its highlights, because I can't stand Miami. They only have two players (and 3 if Walker gets going), and it's just one on one ball all night.
    To be fair, the Mavs are more of a team, but they're built around an international player (Nowitzki).

16. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

The U.S. has the most talented individual athletes, but not the best team players. We have scorers, but not shooters. The U.S. team also does not know how to play defense.

That would sum it up as for my opinion.

17. Elcold

Elcold IncGamers Member

At least they played better than the olympic team 2 years ago. That team made this one look like the most humble team players. I disagree with some of the reasons, I blame most of it on the rule changes between NBA and international which really take away the US advantages in athlecticism.

18. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The only blame is in having a bunch of spoiled and pampered prima donnas together and expect them to mesh together quickly. They'd have to play together for months before they meshed properly.

19. Elcold

Elcold IncGamers Member

And other teams wouldn't:rolleyes: .

20. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

I agree with our local sports talk guy who cried B.S. on that point this afternoon. It's freakin' basketball. We are talking...supposedly...the top atheletes and ballplayers in the world play in the NBA, if they can't put the ball in the basket they don't deserve to win. It doesn't matter what the rules are if you can't make baskets and you can't play defense.