US Farm Bill

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: US Farm Bill

Most farm equipment runs on gas. Gas prices surge, food prices surge.
I think you'll find lots more of it is due to all the transporting of the food, not the farm implements.

I agree that these subventions are subject to abuse, We have the same problems here in Europe. AFAIK more than 50% of the EU budget goes into agricultural subventions and the small farmers are not benefitting from it, as it's far too complicated for Joe Farmer to get them.
EU farm subsidies are half the reason America shells out so much on farm subsidies. Which forces the EU to continue them, forcing America to continue them forcing the EU to continue them...

Johnny

Banned

I have a friend on Öland that runs a farm. The island is as dead as a landscape can get. Supporting only the ocassional mushroom and pine. He just has a few cows now but because of his "Loses" due to the quality of the ground over there. The state pays him $100.000 a year to basicly not kill off the remainder of his livestock.

Had anyone tried starting something like that today it would never have worked but he managed back when he started the farm and so now he gets paid for the "Losses"

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

Your friend surely doesn't have asked for things to be handled like that, so I don't see a reason why he shouldn't take advantage of it.

I've always dreamed of a life like that - feeding the cows in the winter with the hay from the summer, for $100,000 a year :cloud9: Or even better, get a sturdy cow race which can stand the weather in winter on its own (perhaps with a bit extra feeding), so you don't have to do anything, except for having a look at them once a week, to ensure that enough are alive to meet the demands of the EU.

And if they get too many: Whole ox roasted on a spit. Invite the whole village ! Meat for free, beer at $/€1 a bottle ! Well, beer might cost a bit more in Sweden :azn:

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

Does ANYONE have a good reason for this bill? It seems to be one of the most universally hated pieces of legislation that I can remember. I haven't seen ANYONE defend this thing. Despite this, it has passed with what some are calling a veto proof majority. Surely it has to have some merit right?

Jaelen

Diabloii.Net Member

Doesn't necessarily mean it has any merit or is a good idea. That big farm conglomerates have effective lobbyists is all it means.

Holysinner

Diabloii.Net Member

That's a big part of it, but it's also a classic example of how the political system works (or doesn't, depending on your perspective). The benefits are concentrated but the costs are diffuse, so those with more skin in the game work at it a lot harder.

Iowa has the first in the nation caucus, and most members of Congress - at least in the Senate - have presidential aspirations and thus don't want to be on record as against anything that is at least in name "for the farmers."

While every state has some agriculture, those that receive the bulk of the subsidies are few - so the members representing those states or districts are understandably more invested and involved in the drafting and passage of the bill. Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley (Iowa's two senators, a D and an R, which is significant also) pretty much run the show on the farm bill.

And when someone raises a criticism, they say "it's called the Farm Bill, but most of the money goes to nutrition programs" - who will argue against nutrition for the children?

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member

Which farm bill? The one the president vetoed or the other one that he was going to veto?

Jaelen

Diabloii.Net Member

It's the one he vetoed. Rumor round the campfire is that congress has enough support for it to override the veto.