Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Urgent: Assistance required - please help!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neophase, Apr 5, 2004.

1. neophase

neophase Banned

Urgent: Assistance required - please help!!!

Greetings,

I am in need of some assistance.

Current Computer: AMD k6 - 533mhz, 512mb pc100 or 66 ram? quite slow!, win98
    My video card: Pine SIS_315E - 32 MB DDR PCI Video Card

Recently got this new video card and when I try to play games, it's really choppy.
    I can't bear this no longer, shenk when he explodes, I get 2-4fps.... starcraft broodwars is sometimes quite choppy and this is an old age game!
    Halflife and counterstrike will NOT run at all, it plays 2fps, constant, never any higher in any map and I've tried the dif modes including direc3d and opengl!
    The drivers I got with the CDRom when I got this video card are the Incorrect ones, it was really frustrating trying to try out dif drivers and such but I kinda got this one going good.

Can someone locate the correct drivers for me? (Either winXP or 98 would work out).
    I'm gonna reformat prob, so it all works out nicely.

Thanks you for everything!

PS. I've found AGP drivers for it.... I would prefer 98 as the RAM is very slow on this computer but XP would also work too. I got both, xp prof and 98SE.

2. SquareRootOfBob

SquareRootOfBob IncGamers Member

What's the new video card you got? You may also want to consider upgrading your CPU since, no matter how fast the Video Card you have is, if the CPU can't communicate with it fast enough you won't get the full performance out of it. A memory upgrade wouldn't hurt, either.

EDIT: Is the Pine SIS_315E - 32 MB DDR PCI Video Card your new or old card? PCI cards aren't that great, just so you know.

3. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

The AGP drivers won't work because thats a PCI card annd AGP is different. I suggest getting a better video card, a 64mb PCI would be nice(I'm assuming you don't have any AGP slots cause thats a pretty old comp).

4. neophase

neophase Banned

new vid card is the pine.
    old vid card was onboard 1mb card.
    no agp slot, 512 mb ram is enough... and so is the CPU, runs most old games I like and ms office so Im not a power gamer but after this summer I will be upgrading to a ddr400 (pc4000) 64-bit amd comp... or 800fsb, see what's new and what's the scoop with all.

5. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

If your gonna get that then I say just put up with what you have. No point in buying a video card to just use it for a couple of months.

Then again this comes from a 16 year old with no job haha. Maybe if you can find one for cheap get it but anything over $100 don't get it.

6. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

geforce FX"s got really cheap lately...got my 5200 for 80 bucks at fry's :thumbsup:

that'll run all those old games of yours...and pretty much anything for now..not the best..but it works

7. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

You just got the 32 MB card recently?

I have a 64 MB card, and I play CS just fine (and DII, although I don't play it anymore). 32's are really kinda old nowadays. If you are willing to shell out, say...$50...for a 64-bit card (I think I got mine for about 80$ about 2 years ago, they should be MUCH cheaper now, it's a GeForce), I don't think you would have a problem anymore.

I want a 128-bit card SO bad, but there are so many out there that I don't know which one to shoose. I want one that is $200 or less (preferrably less), but that still gives good preformance.