Upping HoZ?

Trypnotik said:
What is the recipe for upping the HoZ?

is it the same for armor? Ko, Lem, Pdiamond?
I think of upgrading a Herald of Zakarum, I am a little hesistant. There is a level of 'risk' involved if I recall.

When you upgrade a Herald of Zakarum it re-rolls the base defence of the shield. When a Herald of Zakarum is a Gilded shield it already has the best possible defence of a Gilded Shield. When you upgrade the worst defence roll of a Zakarum Shield is only slightly higher than a Gilded Shield.

Therefore, dependant upon the roll you get, you can actually have a lower Defence HoZ than originally.

As a reference:

Gilded Shield's maximum defence is 168.
Zakarum Shield's defence range is 169-193.

Trypnotik

Diabloii.Net Member
if the HoZ is already socketed ... is something gonna happen to the socket?

sorry new to ladder =]

Sharaz

Diabloii.Net Member
*shrug* waht happenes if you up and ethereal one?? that would seem to be best case scenario?

Shogakusha

Diabloii.Net Member
ArchAngel Tiberrius said:
I am not sure, but I believe it loses the ethereal bonus..

Please correct me if I am wrong.
yep, only retards up eth things, because you end up with an item that is identical to a non eth upped one, only it's eth, and you can't socket it with anything but a zod.

Lunatic

Diabloii.Net Member
Sharaz said:
*shrug* waht happenes if you up and ethereal one?? that would seem to be best case scenario?
It loses the 50% defense from the ethereal bonus. So you have a shield that in defense is the same as a non ethereal upped HoZ , yet it can still break , so you need to Zod it. The only "advantage" is that it requires 10 less strenght. But by that logic you can put a -15% req / .... jewel in your upped non eth HoZ , and have even less of a requirements.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
ArchAngel Tiberrius said:
When you upgrade a Herald of Zakarum it re-rolls the base defence of the shield. When a Herald of Zakarum is a Gilded shield it already has the best possible defence of a Gilded Shield. When you upgrade the worst defence roll of a Zakarum Shield is only slightly higher than a Gilded Shield.
The base defense of any HoZ (or any armor with +% defense, except Pul Runes) is 169. Armors with +% defense always have max+1 as their base defense.

Therefore, dependant upon the roll you get, you can actually have a lower Defence HoZ than originally.
The defense can actually stay the same. Odds for that to happen are 1 in 25 upgrades.

RTB said:
The base defense of any HoZ (or any armor with +% defense, except Pul Runes) is 169. Armors with +% defense always have max+1 as their base defense...The defense can actually stay the same. Odds for that to happen are 1 in 25 upgrades.
Thank you for clearing that up, RTB. :thumbsup: