Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Upgrading to Revit from ADT2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Upgrading to Revit from ADT2

Calling all CAD jockeys again!

The boss has the bright idea of upgrading from ADT2 on the AutoCAD 2004 platform to Revit 9.0 on AutoCAD 2007.

While I'm quite happy using 2004 (ADT2 sucks donkey balls), I've heard a lot of good about Revit. Any comments would be appreciated.

Oh and I have to make a recommendation no later than Thursday. No pressure here.:laugh:

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Can't really help ya bud.

We are getting ready to go with Pro/E Wildfire. Welcome to the 21st century!

3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

What good are you then? :tongue:

I take it that's a 3D modeling toy.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

havent played with revit yet, looks like itll be good for designing lots of similar models, it might be better for multiple users working on the same project tho

5. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Most of the projects I'm working on are assisted living homes and small commercial buildings. The homes are typically 50-60,000 sq ft over multiple floors, the commercial buildings are typically under 5,000 sq ft on a single floor. We also do a lot of tenant improvements. I can't see Revit being of much use on a TI. Not when we're getting crap drawings (if we get them at all) or we're taking field measurements and are in a hurry to get the job done.

So far I'm impressed by the ease of use. My big concern is my firm goes to almsot absurd lengths to detail the snot out of everything. Sure having sections dynamically linked to the plan is nice, but can I ensure that the actual framing members of the walls show up on my section? If not, then Revit isn't going to work for us. The boss is anal about not taking any shortcuts on ANYTHING. At least when it comes to the drawings. Everything else he's worthless on.

6. skihard

skihard Banned

Wish I could help but much like Amra I live in the 3D world.

We have Unigraphics NX3 and CatiaV5 as our programs but they are overkill for building design. I've use Pro/E enough to know I don't like it in comparrison to Catia and UG.

The Rivet website is set up pretty nice to get many useful files for inserting into design programs it seems.

7. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It's a joy isn't it. :undecided:

I have used Catia or UG but I spent almost 10 years on SDRC's I-DEAS. Very nice software and an awesome detailing package. I miss it. :cry:

I hope Wildfire is a nice improvement.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I've always thought taking technical drawings and scanning them into 3d wouldn't be too hard to pull off. We can take pictures and warp them into 3d now and that is infinitely harder than nice clean drawings with no shading.

I know most buildings these days aren't ever drawn by hand, but I still think it would be a neat project. Make a sketch on a few pieces of paper, scan it, and get a 3d model of a house/whatever.

9. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

While I cannot claim to be an expert on scanning technology, I don't see how such a thing would be possible.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Simple really. Say I have the designs for a barn, two sides(one short one long, assuming the walls will be identical) and a cross section of the roof. You have the basic drawings for each drawn to whatever scale, when you scan in the image you tell the program what scale and it would identify the rectangles you drew as 2x4s, 4x4s, etc. After identifying the boards it would simply use predefined dimensions to give them a 3d build/orientation. You would have to put markers on the edges so the program would know what connects to what, but that wouldn't be too hard. For the roof you would only need one truss and a set of rules for how wide to space them.

Really you would only have to watch out for say a 2x4 with the 4in side facing you being mistaken for a 4x4, but again a few simple rules would limit that.

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

It's a pipe dream {KOW}. There's no way to scan a 2D sketch and make a 3D model of it. I don't even know why you'd want to, what with the 3D modeling tools being so powerful today.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You're just scared my Masters Project will bump you out of a job, or at least make you a ruler/pencil jockey.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

If you can somehow manage to create such a scanner then you're going to be very rich. And the only thing I'm scared of is really big fat tall Chinese guys with red hair running naked down the street waving chainsaws. Sheesh, Chinese guys with red hair? Spooky.

14. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Agreed. I could only see the scanning working in a very narrow set of circumstances. Easier to just do it in 3D and be done with it.

Don't forget the slide rule. :thumbsup:

15. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I still use a form of a slide rule. It's called an ADDFEET

16. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

surfcam has a drawing tool where you could free draw and add the dimensions later, works really slick for multi sided parts and you didnt know all of its angles and distances, but surfcam probably isnt the best for designing buildings tho

17. skihard

skihard Banned

UG has as part of it's program this little thing called "sketcher" you draw with your mouse or now a light pen and everything you draw is put into the screen. it then allows you to put constrains on the sketch you just drew and turns it into a 3D model of what you drew. When you learn how to apply the constrints and what order to "draw" in it is a very nice tool. Every sprak plug that Delphi makes was designed in this fasion.

That said (KOW) why draw on a piece of paper, have to scan it in, and then still have to have a program place your stuff when progams already allow you to draw right in your progam no scanner needed?

Oh I should also add that I currently can design a wall in about 5 minutes in the 3D world in the following manner: Click add part file, add wall, yes/no for door, yes/no for window, wall length, wall height, interior/exterior, stud size (4â€, 6â€, or 8â€). Answer those questions and the following happens when I place it in the location I want.

It builds the base, adds studs every 16†and crunches the last stud if even spacing can’t be maintained due to non even length wall, it puts the 2 top boards on, it frames for the door and/or window size I specify if one is required, then every item is added to a BOM. It also determines the length of the studs required for the top and bottom of the wall. If the wall is 8’ long it uses 8 foot studs, if however it is 20’ it puts in 2 12’ studs and 2 8’ studs and then overlaps them so the joint at the top is offset, and it puts in a little stub piece where the bottom joint is.

All that is done in 3D give me the ability to “furnish†the room when done to see how spacing works.

With this program designing buildings would be a breeze, bad part is I don’t design buildings.