Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Upgrading my kick/trap hybrid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bodry, Mar 8, 2015.

1. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

I'm questing through Act 5 Hell with my new kick/trap hybrid assassin. I'll list te skilland gear layout for her. Can you suggest me some improvement? I feel like my kicks are not strong enough. I'm thinking, maybe a weapon change could help.

Skills: lvl 17 Dragon Talon (lvl24 after plus skills to hit 5 kicks), lvl 20-Death-Lightning-Charged Bolt Sentry, levelling Shock Web for the last, 1 point in BoS, Fade, CoS, Mind Blast and prereqs.

Gear: "Eth" Fleshripper, Treachery AP, "Um" Harlequin's Crest, "Perfect Diamond" Stormshield, Thundergod's Vigor, Upped Gore Rider, Dracul's Grasp, Mara's Kaleidoscope (26 allres), Raven Frost, Bul-Kathos wedding band.
    Inventory: Gheeds,3 trap skillers, resist, mf and fhr charms.

My survivability is not an issue: 50 Dr,maxblock and nearly max resists with lightning absorb. At lvl 80, my LS damage is 1-4,2k, which is good enough. Kicks have around 10,5k AR.
    So here lies my problem: 40% CB, 95% OW is not enough for me. I'm thinking of swapping Fleshripper to something bigger. I haven't found Stormlash yet. Would you recommend Kingslayer or Death over Fleshripper? Or should I change my armor, helm to something else?

2. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

I would recommend point in Venom first of all. That is very powerful skill on kicker, even 1 point will make a difference. On some level Venom will outdamage your kick damage after all. As for weapons, someone else will answer it. Btw OW in PvM... is hardy useful. Monsters have so much hp it's hardly recognizable. Venom will have much bigger impact on damage output than OW.

3. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Treachery gives free Venom, so I don't need the skillpoint. If I ever change out that armor, I will add a point. :) Btw Venom kills Immune to Physicals, which is awesome. :)

4. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

It really does add Venom, agreed. I never paid attention to any other mod than IAS, FHR and Fade. That is Treachery for me folks. It also gives Assassin skills! OK, I knew that, just kidding.

5. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Guillaume's for Shako
    Black RW/Rift RW for Fleshripper

Rift won't make much of a difference in Act V since it has a lot of CI's but it's damage output is much higher than Fleshripper. Also adds nice AoE.

Death is OK too, but to reach a reasonable kick speed you'll have to make it in a PB, which is a waste of runes considering you only need the CB. Black has 10% less CB, weapon IAS and is practically free.

6. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Rift is not my type of thing. Death War Spike hits quite fast, I'm thinking about it, hmm.
    To be fair: Black Flail I have, and looks like a good alternative. I will try that one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Stormlash is best. But Rift is also really good.

Btw only boots dmg is used for kicks. Not weapon dmg.

8. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

I know that, I'm looking for ways to improve CB, the most useful property for a kicksin, after you upgrade to Myrmidon Greaves.

Also Stormlash is imo not the best, Last Wish for example is better, not looking at the price.

Edit: Stormlash adds Static Field which is useless to me. I'd rather use Lightning traps and deal with Light immunes by kicking them in the face.

9. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

For a PvM kicker Stormlash is hands down the best weapon. Might on LW is useless, since you have your merc for that. CB can be acquired easy without LW.

You can of course go Lash Wish + Faith merc, but I still doubt it will outdamage Lash+Might Merc /w Reaper's.

10. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

I still don't have a Stormlash... And also, when you try to hit hard without heavily investing gear on Kicks, Last Wish means you can use helm+armor+gloves slot to your liking. That's why a single hammerdin with 1 point smite can do Über Tristram.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Stormlash > Last Wish.

Personally I would go Guillaume's + Upped Gores + Crescent Moon PB until you get a lash.

What do you want to do with her anyway? What is the Merc gear?

12. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Never used Crescent Moon PB. Why not?
    I don't know, maybe run some area or Nihlathak?
    Merc is HF+Insight. I tend to rely on traps if I can.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Drop the Insight on your Merc and use Infinity. It will actually affect your trap damage unlike Crescent Moon, which does not affect minion damage. It would give you some Static Field though. You could also think about using Phoenix shield instead of Stormshield if you are willing to drop some of the defense as it will help with mana issues. Stormlash is probably unbeatable for this build but it also happens to be pretty rare- not that Last Wish is any easier to get your hands on. You really can't go wrong with either of them. Beast is another option.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  14. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Infinity I have, Phoenix I don't. I would rather not use Infinity, I want to test out builds that don't need Infinity to kill.

15. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

You don't need Phoenix, a bit of mana leech will laying a few traps. Crescent Moon is for the ctc Static, IAS and OW are nice too. As static is AoE, it will dramatically increase your kill speed. CB is nice for single targets, but Static rocks for packs. That is why Stormlash is so good - it has both!

16. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Switched to Crescent Moon, it is awesome!

maxicek likes this.
  17. Zenigma

Zenigma IncGamers Member

Death is an interesting choice, and if you choose to go with it, I would recommend at least on point into blade shield, because: 1) While Blade Shield reduces the durability of your weapon, Death is indestructible, and 2) Blade Shield triggers "on-attack" procs, so that glacial spike proc can offer some good survivability and protection.

18. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Too slow sadly to burn a Vex and a Gul. Maybe next time. :)

19. Zenigma

Zenigma IncGamers Member

45 ias on teachery, 20 on highlords, 15 on ias jewel in guillames, 20 on laying of hands = 100 ias, good for 3/7 kick and 9 frame trap laying with Death in a war spike. (That's max for both as far as I know) If you don't want to use a 15 ias jewel, use a nos coil or goldwrap for the 10 ias instead; you get the same frames.
    For 3/8 kicks and 10 traps, you only need 55 ias, and with the 45 on treachery, it would be hard to not hit that.

Not saying you should, just putting that out there for people in case they want to do it.

20. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

That's more like a 'Blade Fury or whatever that throwing skill' setup is. The biggest problem with that gear is resists. I use Maras, Um'd Guillames and lvl15 Fade from Treachery. I have 75-75-75-70 resist like that with small charms.
    But guarenteed sometime I will be bored enough to try that build too. :D