Upgrading Ethereal items...bug?

tl998

Banned
Upgrading Ethereal items...bug?

Ok, I've heard from here and there that tere is a bug concerning upgrading ethereal items. Exactly what is this bug, and does that mean if I find an Ethereal Hone sundan I should not upgrade it?

Halciet

Diabloii.Net Member
There is a bug with upgrading ethereal uniques, where the item will still list the ethereal bonuses and appear ethereal, yet it doesn't apply the bonus to the item; thus, it's usually better to just leave ethereal exceptional pieces (like Arreat's Face, for example) as exceptionals, as they lose a lot of defense on the upgrade.

-Hal

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
Just remember the bug only applies to armor, weapons should be fine, so the Eth Hone sundan can safely be upgraded..

Halciet

Diabloii.Net Member
Cujo said:
Just remember the bug only applies to armor, weapons should be fine, so the Eth Hone sundan can safely be upgraded..
Doh, good point Cujo, I thought I had said that, my bad.

I tested out rares for you, and it looks like the bug applies to them too. You might wanna get this verified by someone else, but I had an ethereal piece of plate armor with 33% ed that I upgraded to hellfroge, and it had 702 defense. I then just made an ethereal hellforge plate with 15% ed, and it had over 900 defense, so I'd say the bug in in effect for rares too.

BUT, like Cujo mentioned, this only applies to defense items, not weapons.

-Hal