Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Upgrading Armours

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by illa, Mar 4, 2004.

1. illa

illa IncGamers Member

Upgrading Armours

How come there can be a difference of like 200 to 300 defence when upgrading Vipermagi for example. What formula does it use.

2. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

Check the arreat summit weapons and armor listing at:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/weaponsandarmor.shtml

And get the upgrade recipe at the cube page:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml

Find the base item of the unique you're upgrading, then check the same version of that item on the next higher level (i.e., for viper I believe that would be exceptional leather and elite leather, whatever their names are).

That's where the difference is. When you upgrade the armor, it will boost the base item to the next level (excep->elite) and randomly pick a defense from the range on that new base item. The new defense then gets the +def% bonus from the unique applied to it (in viper's case, +120%). So when you upgrade the viper it will grow from 279 def to a whopping 800-1034 def!

Be careful of the new requirements though. If I recall correctly, the level req will be that of whichever is higher from the new base or the old unique, and add 5 for norm->excep and 7 for excep->elite--you also have the str/dex requirements as stated on the new base item.

3. Any1

Any1 Banned

kyro is completely correct.

Serpentskin Armor: Base defense 111-126

Wyrmhide Armor: Base defense 364-470

w/ 120% Enhanced Defense (2.2 multiplier) the resulting difference in total defense is quite dramatic.

4. KinofDiablo

KinofDiablo IncGamers Member

I was upgrading my goldskin from normal to exceptional. I noticed that i didnt have enough strenth to wear it after i cubed it. So i socketed it, so i can put a -15 req jewel in it....but it wont go in.

Tried everything....is it a bug or after you cube an armor you cant put nothing it it??

Sorry for the off topic,
    kIn

5. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

Were you wearing the armor while you were trying to stick the jewel in it? If so, put the armor in your inventory and then stick the jewel in it. That should work.

6. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

I kinda doubt he was... considering he said he didn't have enough strength to carry it and had it socketed ;)

7. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

if u use mh then u gotta turn it off cause it has a built in protection against accidental socketing ... other than that i dont know what would be the prob

8. skaeleen

skaeleen IncGamers Member

upgrading viper is definitely a smart thing...

i up'd my 35 res all viper last night, went from like two hundred and something defense to 884. makes me happy to see Skin of the Vipermagi Wyrmhide, 884 defense lol.

9. illa

illa IncGamers Member

Too bad it can get up to 1000 something eh ;)

10. Alkali

Alkali IncGamers Member

Thankyou so very much for having this thread, lol..

After your fantastic link to that website, I did some reading and found out that I could upgrade my Goldskin normal unique to exceptional, and did so, so its now over 700 def! Fantastic :) Now Im looking for the next two runes to take it to elite unique :D

11. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

Isn't that a bit of a waste? For exep to unique you need a really good reason to use those runes. You can trade them for elite uniques or make a runeword. Both are better alot of the time.