Upgraded shaftstop. Whats highest def on one?

Ifrit18

Banned
Upgraded shaftstop. Whats highest def on one?

Just upgraded my 212% def shaftstop and got 1522 defense on it :teeth:

Is this fairly high for a upgraded shaftstop?

emuporium

Diabloii.Net Member
Ifrit18 said:

looking at arreat summit...

base defense on boneweave ranges from 399-505, and the ed% ranges from 180-220, so the minimum is 1117, and max is 1616, so you're in pretty good shape :) especially since the range on the armor itself has quite a big impact compared to the actual ed%

Stormie

Diabloii.Net Member
ubernuber said:
wait so the base defense gets rerolled too?
Too? The base defense is the only thing that gets rerolled.

The original item has the maximum base defense + 1, plus the ED%

The upgraded item has a random base defense, plus the ED%. Also, if it's ethereal, it loses the ethereal bonus (bug).

This is why upgraded armor can end up with lower defense than it had before upgrading.

Stormie

Diabloii.Net Member
ubernuber said:
so a 200ed shaft is not necessarily the same as a 200ed one? ithought all of them were the same if same ed.
All 200ed Shaftstops will have the same defense.

Upgraded 200ed Shaftstops will not all have the same defense.

Normally, any armor with enhanced defense uses the maximum base defense + 1 for the calculation, it's not random. But when you upgrade armor, it becomes random. Is this a bug? Many people think so.

redalert

Diabloii.Net Member
Ifrit18 said:

:thumbsup: time to upgrade my shaftstop - btw, what is the level requirement for boneweave shaftstop? - thanks in advance guys

Stormie

Diabloii.Net Member
redalert said:
:thumbsup: time to upgrade my shaftstop - btw, what is the level requirement for boneweave shaftstop? - thanks in advance guys
Level req for boneweave Shaftstop = 54, strength req is 158.

Go to http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~deykea/d2armours.html and you can plug in the exact ED% of your Shaftstop and calculate what the defense might be after upgrading. It will certainly be a lot higher than it is now, regardless of the bug/feature/oddity of defense being rerolled on upgrading.