Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Upgraded HoZ

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by innorton38, Feb 8, 2004.

1. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

Upgraded HoZ

So I traded for a HoZ. Used Larzuk to socket it. Dropped in an Um rune. Everything going well so far. Then got a P diamond, a Lem and a Ko and upgraded it to a zakarum shield. Smite damage went up, strength requirement went up, dexterity requirement went up. The defense went from 487 to . . . .487! Am I missing something or shouldn't the defense have gone up proportionately? I'm confused as to why this happened and a little pissed too. It's still a sweet sheild but i upgraded it for the defense not the smite damage. Does upgrading a shield not increase the def? Is it a bug? Not much i can do now but can someone please explain this.

2. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Well, here's what probably happened. Your HoZ started with the Max defense which would be roughly 168 to 169 for a Gilded Shield with Enhanced Defense. (The minimum Defense is 144)

When you upgrade an armor, it's base defense is re-rolled. The upgraded Version of a Gilded Shield is a Zakarum Shield and has a base Defense of 169 to 193.

So, unluckily for you, the Base defense could've been anywhere from 169 to 193 but it was on the low end so it became 169.

So if they both have the same base defense, it won't increase anymore with the Enhanced Defense.

3. innorton38

Man you're quick. If that's the case then my luck stinks and I may as well quit my mf for the night. Seriously what is the chance that the defense would stay exactly the same?!? Oh well. Thanks Alainp66for the input.
    PS-Just in a hope, but anyone hear of any bugs that may have caused this?

4. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

will the um stay if you upgrade...will the socket stay??

5. innorton38

The Um stayed, the socket didn't. Just kidding, both stayed thankfully. I didn't even consider that they may have gone bye bye after I upgraded. That would have been a nice insult to injury.

6. azn_gamer2003

azn_gamer2003 IncGamers Member

It shouldn't have stayed exactly the same. I checked out the number and your gilded shield max was one too high. I checked the numbers and it says the max is 168. With your defense as 487 and lets say you have a max base defense of 168, your enhanced% defense is like 189% (hypothetically speaking). If you take that percentage and calulate that with the minimum of a zakarum shield, which is 169, it should come out to about 489.89 or 490, if it rounds. so it is impossible for the defense of your HoZ to stay EXACTLY the same. although is still a good shield, you wasted the runes for your upgrade.

7. Quest For Glory

Quest For Glory Banned

I don't see why he would be lying :D - Anyway, if you're right about this bit of math, there must be a bug... Strange...

8. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Well, in 1.09 there was a bug that provided every item with Enhanced defense to have (Max Base Defense +1) before calculating the ed...

That would've made the base 169. He is absolutely right about the math and I noticed it myself...

The bug was eliminated in 1.10... Or so I and many others thought....

Either way, it doesn't change the fact he had the lowest possible defensive role on the elite, and that sucks.

9. innorton38

That was the basic gist of my post. I was just wishing that there was some other explanation. I may have been wrong on the original defense but I thought and still think it was 487. Oh well, it's still a great shield so I can't get too upset. :uhhuh: Thanks to everyone who posted even if you thought i was lying for some reason :p