Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

upgrade weapons using the cube

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tabaz, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Tabaz

Tabaz Diabloii.Net Member

hello all,

I am trying to upgrade my weapon in order to increase it's damage

I have a RAL, a SOL and a perfect emerald but I cannot make the recipe work

the recipe needs "normal (basic) rare weapons"

how can I tell such weapons?

2. smloeffelholz

smloeffelholz Diabloii.Net Member

The recipe you are using is for a normal unique weapon. Unique items have their names written in brownish gold lettering. The “normal” refers to the rarity of the base item (normal vs exceptional vs elite). If the recipe isn’t working, you probably don’t have the right kind of item. It is possible that your item is rare (the name will be in bright yellow), or cannot be upgraded based on its type (set - green / magic - blue).

This link has all of the cube recipes. The ones you are interested in are almost at the bottom.

I hope that helps!

3. Tabaz

thanks for the reply !

the recipe I wrote above makes no sense, it is wrong, was not what I wanted to write

I am familiar with the list of recipes but I have only used the very basic ones. Driven by need, I am searching for ways to upgrade my weapon

so, I found these two recipes

recipe 1: for normal uniques
    1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique Weapon = Exceptional Version of Weapon
    you are right about this one, I do not have a unique

recipe 2: 1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon
    this is what I wanted to use. I have a lot of rare weapons, bright yellows as you say, but the recipe does not work. I am thinking that maybe there are rare, normal rare but, not basic... there is nothing on the site about normal *BASIC* rares, is there?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. Brak

Brak Diabloii.Net Member

Tabaz likes this.
  5. Tabaz

I've failed upping this bow
    - eagle bolt double bow 10-32, +43ED, +1max dam, cold resist +9%, lightning resist +9%

but it did work on this one
    - stone quill double bow 6-29, +24ED, +2-20dam, +107AR, +21-41 fire, +50poison damage

this can only mean that the former was already exceptional and the latter was not. My other rares must also be exceptional

so, everything is ok after all

with this upgrade my bow damage increased from about 140-280 to 200-450

: )

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

The upgrading recipes just change the base item type (upgrading from Normal > Exceptional > Elite) and the recipes differ based on whether it is unique or rare, what it's current base item type is and also if it is an armour or weapon.

In order to check whether your item is Normal/Exceptional/Elite, look at the base item type here (for bows):

Normal - http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/bows.shtml
    Exceptional - http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/bows.shtml
    Elite - http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/elite/bows.shtml

A Double Bow is exceptional, so in order to upgrade a rare one of those, you need a recipe that works on a Rare Exceptional Weapon which is: 1 Fal Rune + 1 Um Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Exceptional Rare Weapon = Elite Rare Weapon

Neither one of those rare bows warrants spending an Um rune, I'd wait for something much better.

Tabaz likes this.