Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

upgrade HOZ but get downgraded afterall??

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by hmlyim, May 21, 2005.

1. hmlyim

hmlyim IncGamers Member

upgrade HOZ but get downgraded afterall??

The HOZ i have at first:
    495 def
    82 chance to block

after i upgraded it with KO, LEM and P-diamond, it becomes:
    518 def
    75 chance to block

def increase only by 23 but chance to block decrease by 7%! This is horrible!! Is it a bug or what?

2. Elcold

Elcold IncGamers Member

I guess Zakarum Shield has a lower blocking rate than a Guilded Shield, all I know is that upping is very strange. :D

3. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Gilded Shields and Zakarum Shields have the same block chance (52% for pally). The game won't display a higher block chance than 75%, even though internal values can be higher. Before upgrading the HoZ also had that 75% chance to block and 82% internally.

4. hmlyim

hmlyim IncGamers Member

If I use the old HOZ for my hammerdin, do I get 82% to block or 75%?

5. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

It never said 82%. You must have read it wrong or just remember it wrong. 75% is the max you can get with any shield.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Regarding the defense: An item having a % bonus to defense (including set items which get it through a set bonus, like the IK armor BTW) has a base defense of max+1, but after upgrading, the base defense gets set to a random value within the limits of the new item type, so for certain items the increase won't be that great and for a few items (e.g. Arreat's), the item could end up with even less defense than before.

7. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

"Natural" enhancements

You have to be careful with your upgrades. As Krischan has already stated, the upgraded item will take its new defense from the base type; this can be a detriment in some cases (for example, a near perfect Vampire Gaze Grim Helm with 244 defense became a 210 defense Giant Skull...this is what's known as a downgrade and no one likes it or will trade with you for it). It's also best to not upgrade ethereal items as they lose their ethereal bonuses (there may be one exception...a great rare ethereal dimensional blade will upgrade to a phase blade which is indestructible anyway so you save yourself a socket quest and a Zod rune).

You should always try to upgrade great damage weapons (as the base damage for the upgraded weapon is almost always superior to the damage of the non-upgraded weapon) unless they are ethereal (again, because they lose their bonuses).

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Ethereal weapons don't lose the bonus when being upgraded, only armor does (including helms, belts etc.).

9. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The total block chance (when not running) and the chance displayed on the shield are capped at 75%. Internally, both the Herald of Zakarum Gilded Shield and the Herald of Zakarum Zakarum Shield have 82% chance to block for paladins.

10. TCaptain

TCaptain IncGamers Member

Am i the only 1 dumb enuff to Up an Eth Skullders 198%? it started at about 1250 def(cant remember) w/ a 85 str req, after upping, def went up less than 100 and the str req shot up by 60! totally jacked...

11. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I have a perf eth skullder and the total def is 1098 so yours was something close to that instead of 1250.
    In general, I guess it's not a good idea to upgrade ethereal armors

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

As was stated before, that's because for some reason the Ethereal 50% bonus to defense is lost on armor when upgraded even though the item remains ethereal in every other way. Weapons don't suffer from this bug, however.