Update for Vitabarb guide

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
Update for Vitabarb guide

Introducing Vitabarb build v1.2 a very versatile and extremely survivable build.

This build is aimed to, or if u have one or more below characteristic:
1. Hardcore Player
2. Newbie-average player (we don't have those uber items)
3. Solo runner
4. Purist / untwinker
5. Barbarian lover

Now lets start...

-ATTRIBUTES DISTRIBUTION-

Strength: base (30)
dexterity: 136
Vitality: rest
Mana: base

-SKILL DISTRIBUTION-

Warcries:

Battle Order: 20p. main skill
Battle Cry : 1p.
Battle Command : 1p.

Masteries:

SWORD MASTERY: 20p. main skill
Throwing : 1p. or more (optional)
Increased Speed : 1p. saves lots of time and even your only life.
Natural Resistance : 1p. pump with +skill items.

Combat Skills:

FRENZY: 20p. main skill
WhirlWind : 1p. Very useful for versatility, escape from being swarmed (sometimes Leap Attack don't work!), against moving target, quick sweep for those little weaklings and sometimes even larger monster.
Berserk : 1p. Backup skill against Physical Immune

Now, skill and point distribution explanation:

WHY FRENZY? WHY NO SHIELD? WHY SO MUCH VITALITY?

IMO, to be a true barb, we must exploite all his benefits that other class dont have.

1. Barb is the only class who able to double wield and attack at once using both truely.
2. Barb gain the most benefit from every single point invested on Vit (+4) + Battle Order (x2)!

Ofcourse WhirlWind is much better for mass attack, but remember, a wise Hardcore player never jump in to the crowd, he would prefer lure and savely finish them one by one. Frenzy combined with taunt perfectly suits such a strategy.

And now about shield. Well... Vitabarb is kind of opposite of Ironbarb build. Ironbarb is a very expensive build that focus on immense of Defense Rating, it takes lots of uber item! (plz take a look again above who this guide aimed to).
Thats why we invest on immense Vitality. While Ironbarb make sure smallest chance to be hit by monster, we make sure that we able to receive as much hit as possible! Our focus is survivability!

Salvo build is also kind of opposite of Titanbuild. While Titanbuild invest for max strength, we use base strength. That means with the same weapon, titan hit 5 times harder than salvo. But again, titanbuild is another twinked, expensive build that don't fit poormans pocket.

WHY 136 DEX?

Of all elite weapon (except dagger) PHASE BLADE require the most least attribute points, 136-20(base)= 116 points, so you can invest the rest on Vitality. Remember that our main attack skill is Frenzy and phase blade really suitable for its very fast attack speed (-30), all you need is to reach optimal fps is 40% IAS. Our damage is not high, so we will rely a lot to Crushing Blow, faster and more swing = more Crushing. Another reason using PB is its high minimum damage (IMO having high min dmg is much better than max dmg). Plus PB os the only one handed sword able to spawn 6 socket.

WHY 1 POINT FOR BATTLE CRY?

-50% enemy defense = your Attack rating x 2
-30% enemy damage = your life +30%
you can even get more from +skill item.
Nobody is immune to Battle Cry, even Bosses!

WHY 1 POINT ON THROWING MASTERY?

Again, versatility. investing one point here would benefit alot, you can retreat and double throw those FE/LE/other from a save distance while your melee merc tanking them.

THIS BUILD IS FINISH AT CLVL 67, NOW WHAT ABOUT THE DISTRIBUTION OF THE LEFT SKILL POINT?

it is optional and debatable, here's the choices:

Berserk : A well balanced char between Physical & Magical attack, you'll have no trouble against those PI. A very good choice to. Going this path you can equip a shield and lure them fight 1 on 1 to avoid blocklock and interuption.

Double Swing & Taunt : To max out your Frenzy potential, but u'll never use the DS. Taunt is much usefull but only to lure while Battle Cry is much more effective to weaken enemy defense and attack. If u choose to go this path i reccomend you to max out DS first to gain DThrow synergy bonus.

-GEAR SELECTION FOR EACH DIFFICULTY-

NORMAL difficulty:

Helm: Nadir (RW)
Armor : Stealth (RW), Rattlecage
Weapon: Steel (RW)
Charms: a lot of +str, they are not hard to find!

Note: For the Steel RW If you your are lucky enough to find some +STR charm soon, you can use Two-handed sword instead of Scimitar. For the runes take your time to run Countess, you’ll find Nadir & Stealth runewords set you free from mana problem. For the two socketed sword and helm, run Charsi (shop, don’t kill her!)

NIGHTMARE Difficulty:

Helm: Any or Guilaume’s Face (need 115 str)
Armor: Any or Rattlecage, Duriel’s Shell (need 65 str)
Weapon: Strength (RW), Bloodletter, Coldsteel Eye
Belt: magic or rare with huge +str
Boot: Gore Rider (need 94 str)
Charms: ibid

Note:
Guilaume’s Face and Gore Rider provide you 35% and 15% Crushing Blow while Strength RW another 25%. If you wear Rattlecage that would means your every hit is fearsome –something CB is the king-. This is ideal for CB but we know resistance are important as well so Duriel’s Shell is good subtitutes for armor.
Run NM Mephisto for the Guilaume’s, Gorerider and Duriel’s. Run normal Pindle or NM Andariel for Bloodletter but be prepared for high repairing cost.

HELL Difficulty:

Helm: ibid
Armor: Duriel’s Shell, Rattlecage, Smoke (RW), Lion Heart (RW), Duress (RW)
Weapon: Strength or Honor Phase Blade (RW), upped Coldsteel Eye
Belt: Any
Glove: Laying of Hands
Boot: Gore Rider

Note:
Phase Blade starts available from Act1 Hell : Tristram, Countess Tower level1-3 and Pit (Pit is harder to run). Duress IMO is the best armor here for the resistance and CB, but need an UM rune.
Run NM Baal, NM izual, and Hell Andariel for the Laying of Hands. Run Hell Countess again and again for the Runes.

Untwinked mostly synonim to low damage, so we must rely more to Crushing Blow especially for late Nightmare and Hell. One exception here is Honor Runewords, it deals enough damage, so for late Hell it is up to you whether to choose CB (Strength RW) or damage (Honor RW) way.

Once again this is Hell and we don’t have much resistant so don’t mess with elemental enemy, Taunt and finish them one by one. Take extra attention when taunting Gloams, taunt then quickly take cover.

Overall, the hardest part to get are socketed Phase Blade and UM rune. If you find a plain Phase Blade then try your luck with the Horadric cube socketing recipe:

1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type

-LEVELING & STRATEGY-

-Pump up your Vit : dex by 3 : 2, or just make sure your dex is 131 at char lvl 53.
-Put one point on BO then leave it, max it out at 62th-80th skill point. One point is enough to survive 'till late NM.
-If u want to invest 2nd point on Increased Speed or Natural Resist, wait untill u have maxed out your BO.
-Don't get too cool-calm-confidence, even with tons of HP u'd be still in big danger facing large crowd and iron maiden. Be patient.
-Taunt and Bcry is your great companion. Taunt those ranged attacker, minions, etc to finish them step by step. Bcry whoever get nearby.
-Gulp few Antidote Potion before challenging Andariel and Mephisto, this potion will increase your resistance to poison for somewhile. Gulp some thawing potion for Diablo and Izzual as well.
-Get Act2 offensive might mercenary to help your hit power, socket his weapon with Amn or shael.
-To level up faster, kill pack monster as they provide a lot of bonus exp. Nice spot for leveling IMO are: Tristram (a lot of champion, pack, Griswold), Darkwood (tree of Inifus), Frigid Highland and Bloody Foot Hills (Eldritch and Shenk –kill them over and over-) + while questing.

Benefit of Salvobarb :

1. High survivablility
2. High versatility
3. Easy & cheap to build
4. Fast mobility
5. Great for head to head fight vs monster.

Down side of Salvobarb :

1. Lack of hit power
2. Narrow weapon & armor selection
3. Must do some MF run.
4. Less hard heartbeat due high survivability. (one of the benefit of playing hardcore is the ADRENALIN RUSH!)

-salvo-

@AE/Krem: I tried to PM u both but u seems busy at the time, so i posted it here. Could you please be kind to replace the old one at our SP FAQ char guide? thanks.
Link made. Nice work on the update. :thumbsup: - AE

kabal

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't catch this the first time around, so I'll just make a few comments here.

If you really wanted to maximize the amount of stats you can spend in Vitality, Berserker Axes would be a better choice over PB's. A BA requires 138 str/59 dex, so if you have no stats from gear, you'll need to invest 108 str and 39 dex for a total of 147 points. For a PB you only need 116 in dex, but you won't be able to put on your other gear (Guillaume's, Duriel's, etc.) with base strength. I estimate that you'll have to put at least another 60 points in strength to put on everything else, so in the end you waste more stat points going with PB rather than with a BA.

The PB has the advantage of being faster and indestructible but the BA does way more damage. Also keep in mind that the unique axes are better than the unique swords especially at the exceptional to elite level, so an axe barb would most likely have a wider range of good weapons than a sword barb.

tweety

Diabloii.Net Member
I also think that making such a strict choice for phaseblades will pose some problems, but I've never played the build. Maybe you can comment on two problems that I think you will encounter.
First untill you get to your phaseblades in early hell your choices of weapons are very limited, becuase you have such a low strength. You cannot use the more damaging swords, because strength charms will not be sufficient.
Another problem is in fitting your other gear. You will need a lot of strength charms to get it on. By the looks of it you might be better off going for more strength investment. You can compensate the stat point loss with life charms.
As Kabal pointed out there are more weapons that need a low stat point investment, but because they need more strength than dex it provides you more freedom with your other gear.

PyroStock

Diabloii.Net Member
+5Str Large Charm = saves 5Str for 5Vit; 5Vit = 20Life for a Barb (before BO)
(2) +10Life Small Charms = 20Life for a Barb (before BO)
(2) +20Life Small Charms = 40Life for a Barb (before BO)

This is also why Life Skill Charms are more valuable than Dex/Str Skill Charms

Life charms :thumbsup:

Hailstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
kabal said:
If you really wanted to maximize the amount of stats you can spend in Vitality, Berserker Axes would be a better choice over PB's. A BA requires 138 str/59 dex, so if you have no stats from gear, you'll need to invest 108 str and 39 dex for a total of 147 points. For a PB you only need 116 in dex, but you won't be able to put on your other gear (Guillaume's, Duriel's, etc.) with base strength. I estimate that you'll have to put at least another 60 points in strength to put on everything else, so in the end you waste more stat points going with PB rather than with a BA.
I'm playing this build now, currently level 83. I have 103 strenght without a single point invested. Before the phase blades I used a cruel flamberge and a nice rare espandon. To sum it up, 'no str' looks scary in theory but is in fact perfectly do-able when you try it.

kabal

Diabloii.Net Member
Hailstorm said:
I'm playing this build now, currently level 83. I have 103 strenght without a single point invested. Before the phase blades I used a cruel flamberge and a nice rare espandon. To sum it up, 'no str' looks scary in theory but is in fact perfectly do-able when you try it.
What kind of equipment and charms are you using?

Unless you have a low strength Enigma, it'd be hard to get +73 strength from a limited selection of gear and charms without some severe compromises.

Hailstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
kabal said:
What kind of equipment and charms are you using?

Unless you have a low strength Enigma, it'd be hard to get +73 strength from a limited selection of gear and charms without some severe compromises.
many str charms, no empty space in inventory; naj's circlet (15 str), a rare ring with 13 str; sigon's gauntlets (10 str); 10 str comes from Honor runeword.

Just checked the character screen - it's actually 106.

Hythopian Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah, good old times :) I'm still working on my 1.09 vita-barb. Sad thing is, he's totally unplayable in 1.10 or later, but the goal is basically complete: 100% points into Vit, obtaining the highest vitality possible. He's currently at over 600 vit, at level 76 IIRC. He'll be complete at level 85 or 90 or so.

Legendary characters were fun to make. Still wish I finished a lot of them before evil 1.10 patch :p

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
First of all, thankyou for the idea and critism, sorry for replying so late, i went to other city for some film shooting there (no i'm not a star, just a poor camera man :D), got light skin damage due sun burn :) .

Generally I see the primary objection is about the 'strength needed to wear all main gear' and '+strength charm vs +vita charm eficiency'.
+str charms are crusial only for early stages. The weapon and gear selection above are not without reason, maybe I should put more explanation there. Strength RW alone will net us 2x 20 str, Duriel require 65 str (base str 30+Strength RW[2x20]=70). Duriel add us another +15 str (=85, socket with P.Ames=95). Gorerider require 94 str (covered). Our heaviest gear is the Guillaume's Face which require 115 str. 115-95=20 , this is easily obtained for other gear like any +str belt (you can buy it from NPC) and rings or amulet. We can also socket the quest the the Guillaume's with a Hel/freedom jewel (req become 98 str). They are all very easy to get... see? strength is no problem at all...
For Charms, we have enough life, we are better busy with resist for this is what we still lack of. More AR from steel charms helps a lot too...
About damage this is untwinked, we can't have high damage anyway. For untwinked I don't believe in damage but combination of Speed and Crushing Blow, both assure our victory against any non-PI at least slow but sure. PB certainly superior over BA in term of speed.

kabal

Diabloii.Net Member
The problem with that is you're more or less stuck with using a pair of Strength weapons all throughout the game, even when it may no longer be viable. By the same argument, I could say that you spend less points going with berserker axes since 39 dex from gear isn't hard to get (thus base dex) and you'll need at maximum 108 points in strength, most likely less, to be able to equip your gear.

If you really wanted to save stat points and rely purely on CB to kill, it would be best to make a pair of Black flails (41 str, 35 dex) which has lower requirements, more CB, and more or less the same speed as a Strength PB.

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
Yup, i knew we are stuck with Strength RW as stated above on the 'downside' section, but Strengh RW does viable throughout the whole game. Relying purely on CB is not a good idea, we still need some damage. CB's role is to reduce enemy's HP to sliver so our low damage is enough to kill it.
Black RW flail boast huge CB but the knockback effect will be too annoying and the damage is too low after CB's role is over, and plus Black RW need Io rune which is harder to get compared to any runes of Strength and Honor RW.
By using PB we no longer need additional IAS because Frenzy IAS alone is enough to reach the optimal break point, so the consideration is not mere saving stats points for vitality. Also using PB means invest on dex which result of more AR.

Hailstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a quick update on the char, people might be interested how this build survives in Hell. And I feel like ranting as well.

Currently level 85 and doing well in Act5 Hell, just completed the rescue Anya quest. Ok, any setting other than players1 is a pain, but I don't see this as a huge problem. PI's are killable with the exception of fanaticism extra fast packs, but even those can be tackled with enough patience (which I don't have so I just try to park them)

Found Dracul's Grasp (cool :D ) and I'm using dual Honor-ed phase blades. Now I have the runes for Crescent moon, Passion and Lionheart, but still no luck with normal phase blades and dusk shrouds. Though I found a 6-socket phase blade... The merc uses Kelpie Snare & Blackhorn's face (hehe, monsters barely move when Moron starts poking them) and Atma's Wail.

ndt

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, I am interested. That build might very well be the most affordable viable barb ever :thumbsup:

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
If anybody says vitabarb ain't viable in Hell, he/she surely wrongeth, never tried one or got used with cookie cutter builds.

This is my long finished salvo barb:

salvo, clvl **
Weapon : dual Strength Phase Blade, scalper and deathbit on switch
Helm : guillaume's
armor : Duriel (P.amethyst)
Belt : Nosferatu's coil
Glove : Dracul's / laying (for bosses)
Jewelry : angelic wing, angelic ring, resist all rare ring
boot : gore rider
Charms : mostly resistance

Life : 3481
Damage : 147-169
AR : 14926 (chance to hit most monster are around 90%)
resist fire : 11
resist cold : 44
resist light : 36
resist poison : 7

Total CB : 75%
Attack speed : 6 fpa (4.1 attacks per second) - from a german attack speed calculator site

Is he viable in Hell? HE ROCKS! They claim damage is king, but speed kills also.
Allow me to show you a simplified calculation of Salvo Vitabarb killing speed:

Assume a normal monster have 5000 HP
Assume our average damage is 150
Assume 100% chance to hit
Assume Crushing blow always triggers

1st hit 5000*0.75-150= 3600
2nd hit 3600*0.75-150= 2550
3rd hit 2550*0.75-150= 1762
4th hit 1762*0.75-150= 1171
5th hit 1171*0.75-150= 728
6th hit 728 *0.75-150= 396
7th hit 396 *0.75-150= 147
8th hit 147 *0.75-150= the monster is dead

At fully charged Frenzy our attack speed is 6 fpa (4.1 attack/sec), that means most normal monster is dead around two second and if you wear laying of hands + managed to find a highlords wrath, you will increase your max speed to 5fpa (5 attack/sec).

Our greatest weakness here as stated by Hailstorm is PI pack. But personally what do I do against them? I runaway...

goodluck

-sal

dasbomba

Diabloii.Net Member
you can find good resist + strenght rings (rare)

and using that angel ring/amu combo no need of AR. and you could try to find good rare amulet with str/dex all res, I have found one, only 15 all res but thats good. and it gives ~30-40% res to cold

is that life with BO? and what is the skill level of the BO?

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
dasbomba said:
you can find good resist + strenght rings (rare)

and using that angel ring/amu combo no need of AR. and you could try to find good rare amulet with str/dex all res, I have found one, only 15 all res but thats good. and it gives ~30-40% res to cold

is that life with BO? and what is the skill level of the BO?
I don't play him much now, it is slvl21 BO.