Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untwinked play..

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by svinderling, May 30, 2008.

1. svinderling

svinderling IncGamers Member

Untwinked play..

Hi!

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who don't trade much and instead enjoys finding their own stuff?

I almost always join games and run around solo in 8 player games cause it's so devastatingly boring to do cows and baalruns all the time.

And btw, how can you have cows in an RPG-game like diablo?? It just takes away all the fun. What an enormously silly move by blizzard...:sad2:

Well, if anyone else on EUSCL wants to team up, join 8 player games and kill in other areas, just cause you need to do something different, you can always call me:)

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Untwinked play..

There are lots of players here who play untwinked. What's more, many combine untwinked and hardcore, for some really challenging experience.

Cows are not a "silly thing", they are an easter egg added by Blizzard for humour. I think they're ok.

3. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

The cow level is one of the best features, it was invented by overimaginative Diablo I players, and Blizzard decided to go along with it.

From the AS:

The History of the Secret Cow Level

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] Many players of the original Diablo will remember the mysterious rumor that there was a Secret Cow Level. The story went that by clicking on a specific cow in Tristram a certain number of times, you could access a wondrous place known as the Secret Cow Level. There was, of course, no Cow Level in Diablo, but the legend was born. When StarCraft was released, it featured a cheat code, "There is no cow level". This was our way of officially confirming that there was, in fact, no Secret Cow Level. During the production of Diablo II, gamers often asked if there would be any cows to battle in the game. On April 1st, 1999, a Diablo II Screenshot of the Week featured cows fighting. People wondered if the screenshot was an April Fool's joke or if there really was a Secret Cow Level planned for Diablo II. When Diablo II was released, a quest item called The Horadric Cube allowed players to combine items to create new items. It wasn't long before players were experimenting with Cube combinations, hoping to find the keys to unlock new and powerful secrets. Eventually a recipe was discovered that revealed the most anticipated secret of them all -- the Secret Cow Level in Diablo II![/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

4. TheNamelessOne

TheNamelessOne IncGamers Member

Do you think if they put a similar cow level in Diablo III it would be un-origional and taking it too far, I do, but I am also now in the wrong forum. :lipsrsealed:

5. ProfessionalBerg

I don't think that the Cow Level recipe was found by chance. I mean, all it takes is to extract the .MPQ, and look at "recipes.txt". Whereas combinations in the game would be endless.

6. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

Not everyone has the technical ability to do that. So for them trial-and-error is the only way. Besides which Blizzard could be sneaky and save some of the cube recipes elsewhere in an oddly named file.

To stay OT, there are quite a few SP players that make all their characters untwinkled. So I'm sure some Bnetters do the same.

7. ProfessionalBerg

All it takes is one smart guy to open the files, see what's inside, try it out with his friends and spread the rumor all over the BNet. Besides, AS and other sources for D2 info provide us with the recipe (which was most likely written by one of such players).

I don't think that all the listed runewords on AS were results of "blind luck".

8. dragonchilde

dragonchilde IncGamers Member

I do. I've been playing this game since it came out, and honestly, I vastly prefer playing OFFLINE for this very reason. I don't like twinked games, and every time I get online, I get doofus who wants to blast through as fast as possible... so I just stopped bothering when I realized all I was doing was passworded solo games online. Much less aggravating offline, and no dropped connections.

Still, I think that now that I'm the proud owner of a new laptop, I might try online play again. Having a game I can play anywhere for free will be nice, especially one I'm familiar with.

Akrean likes this.
  9. tyciol

tyciol IncGamers Member

Didn't diabloii.net have its own Screenshot of the Week back in 2001? Been trying to find it in archives.