Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untwinked Physical Damage Builds in HC

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NagisaFurukawa, Jun 11, 2008.

1. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Untwinked Physical Damage Builds in HC

Hello. This is a pretty random thing to have to search for... so I decided to just ask straight up. Does anyone have any tips on how to succeed with builds based upon physical damage in untwinked semi-single pass HC play? I've tried casters/pseudo-casters, and they're tough enough (read: zero guardians), so I have my worries about the viability of weapon-dependent builds... Thanks.

2. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

3. Mungo

Mungo IncGamers Member

Re: Untwinked Physical Damage Builds in HC

Barbs have a lot of advantages, as I am sure you know (4 to life for every point in vitality, iron skin and natural res and of course the shouts) so you are not really equipment dependant. My first Pat has skill points all over the place (Jaedhann calls him half-assed) admittedly he now wears the IK set but found a lot of it himself IIRC all but the armour. His finds have set me up as a fairly rich player now. Maybe a wwpolearm barb with insight or a savage polearm (diamond ,staff,belt, kris) cubed. They can be slow till you get ww but would be safe IMHO

4. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

All I can say is, with a character that uses its weapon to deal damage, good luck killing stuff in hell untwinked. Not all physical characters rely on their weapons for damage, however I'm assuming you meant characters that do rely on their weapons.

If you can somehow manage to buy a cruel exceptional weapon in A5 NM and somehow manage to get with it to A4-5 hell you can shop for an elite one which should be more than enough to kill monsters in hell (althogh not very strong still). But it could be hard to get through hell untwinked without at least a cruel elite weapon with a build that relies on weapon damage.

5. Docturnal

Docturnal IncGamers Member

The big problem Ive been having (Im an average player so if you are a good player or better, disregard this) is not weapon damage. There are tons of different ways to make sure you have enough damage to at least crawl your way through hell. The big problem is the one punch KO's that are still there in 1.11. mostly they consist of FE bosses/super uniques with high life and nasty secondary mods, but depending on your build gloams and undead flayers could also pose serious threats.
    Lets say you have a zeal, fury or frenzy build. That means you wont allways have fast enough reflexes to notice you are fighting a boss. One second later, KABOOM. 10k fire/physical damage and you die. This is the reason I no longer play melee past mid Nighmare.

6. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

physical damage HC builds are really hard to guardian, considering they are mostly melee builds.

Assassins and Barbs would be your best choices, considering they can both do well melee and have lots of +%ED through their skill trees heck an assassin with tiger strike can get some insane amounts of +%ED +1440% with 20 in tiger strike which is then multiplied again by your finishing move +%ED.

Barbs masteries are the key as they add directly before your skills, just have to use the mastery that is for the weapon of choice which can be difficult imagine picking axes and finding great swords and maces that you can't use masteries for.

7. bladejj

bladejj IncGamers Member

I've only done a couple untwinked, HC melee builds, but they mostly relied on OW and CB and alittle bit of elemental damage. Open wounds should not be underestimated. But anyway, finding a big hurty stick will be your biggest problem.

8. midnightvulture

midnightvulture IncGamers Member

Theoretically you could roll up a decent weapon with the 3 chipped gem cube recipe and a magical elite. I've yet to see any success there, but if you save all of your chippers in ATMA you may get lucky. The qlvl of the base item takes over the equation choosing alvl on the resulting item, so you could get a cruel xxxx of quickness with 1-2 sockets that way.

mv

9. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

As far as I understand in order for cruel to even be possible, you need the qlvl to be above 76 or something like that, since the ilvl the cube reciep results in is rather low (which means qlvl>ilvl and then qlvl will be the only thing taken into account when calculating alvl). And even then the chance to get cruel will require a rediculess amount of rolls.

Keep in mind not all melee builds rely purely on weapon damage. Holy shock/freeze and TS+DT combo are pretty much independant of weapon damage, as well as the amazon jav/spear melee attacks.

10. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Yeah, you need a qlvl at least in the upper 70s to 3 chippy into a cruel. Among other things, this means you can't 3 chippy a cruel phase blade (if I'm not mistaken, it just misses the qlvl cut-off for high affixes).

Some fairly basic yet never-hurts-to-hear-again points to keep in mind:

-Always check shops (Fool's/Cruel <nice base> of Quickness/Evisceration doesn't spawn often, but it can be a great find)

-Don't hesitate to gamble. It's basically an automatic magic/rare drop independent of MF and with a semi-set base item

-If you shop/gamble a magic item of a good base item axe, spear, javelin, or blunt weapon with crappy affixes, you can try to essentially reroll it as a rare by crafting (blood craft for axes, safety craft for spears/javelins, hit power craft for any blunts). If I'm not mistaken, shopped items from clvl 69+ and gambled items from clvl 73+ should always get 4 bonus affixes.

-Remember that rares/uniques can be upgraded all the way to elite if the mods are nice. Ribcracker, Witchwild String, Crainte Vomir, Coldsteel Eye, Headstriker, Butcher's Pupil, Steeldriver, and Hone Sundan are all solid uniques to upgrade. Of course, don't overlook some combination of Cruel/Fool's/Mechanic's/elemental/Quickness/Slaughter/Transendence either :D

-Don't forget about the mid-level runewords. Depending on the build and available items, Honor, Black, Passion, Strength, Harmony, and Insight are all options with >150% ED (aside from Black and Strength, which have Crushing Blow to make up for it) and other good mods.

-You get 3 socket quests (potentially :D ), 2 of them prior to Hell. If you have a nice item that just lacks (for instance) some IAS and mana leech, punch it and stick in Shael/Perfect Skull if you get 2 sockets.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  11. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Firstly I would perhaps aim at making a twinked Guardian first before taking that step. Once you have that experience the next one will be better. Even if you only twink on a single weapon it might help a lot.

Secondly I have to put one in for barbarians as well. Their life pool with battle orders is nothing to sneeze at. Coupled with shout and ironskin and the one point wonder that is bezerk a WW barb with bezerk is a good option. Second option is a zerker barb that uses war cry. Very safe due to stun and Bezerk gets insane damage at higher levels. Its also magic damage so there are very few monsters that can resist it. Add in a might merc and you should be fine.

Last point about masteries on barbarians. They help. I know some people that hold off investing in masteries till the beginning of Hell as that is where the true test begins. They then see what their best weapon type is and max that mastery with saved points. Otherwise pick something that is more common to find like sword mastery. Swords are the most versatile barb weapon as they can be used one handed or two handed. That opens up your options a lot actually. Anyways, good luck. I'd really recommend reading a few of the Guardian threads on zerkers though, they are very powerful in 1.11.

12. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

Exactly - i think this should be one of the strongest melee builds for untwincked play (not physical dmg, i know)...I finished that way mine and he was very efficient also as Pindle runner...

13. Evah

Evah IncGamers Member

Singer))
    can easily be Guard'ed untwinked (well, at clvl 30> you'll hate him)
    and deals only physical damage, as pretty much any barb^.^

edit:
    oh well l seem feel like flooding and posting stupid things today -_-