Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untwinked Paladin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by scarred_life, Aug 28, 2006.

1. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

Untwinked Paladin

I decided to start a paladin as I don't have one just yet and was wondering what kind of build I should go with. I was thinking of staying untwinked to add a new twist to the game or minimal twinking depending on how hard it could get. I'm just wondering as to what build would be a good thing for untwinked. I don't know much about the paladins skill trees and all the guides I looked at of course had the Ub3r 1337 itamz!!one!one11! that were necessary. (Which are totally uneeded in most cases, but none the less I still have no clue.)

Another question I had was to what I should look for on items to make it eaiser (open wounds, crushing blow, life leech, mana leech (do I need this?) and so forth). My aim is to fully clear everything so I want to be able to handle anything that comes my way as is sanely possible. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along but I guess this is a good starting point. Thanks for any and all help/opinions!

2. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'd reccomend an elemental Zealot. A teslafroster only needs a fast weapon, since the damage all comes from the auras, and should be able to deal with everything except for the occasional LICI boss. (That's what the merc, OW, and CB are for.)

OW, Crushing Blow, and Life Leech are all good. Crafted blood gloves and belt can help you take care of this untwinked. Mana leech is also useful, and I would try to make room for it, but Zeal is only 2 mana, so you can get by with blue pots if you have to.

3. Phosheez

Phosheez IncGamers Member

Agrees with Cattleya. Life leech and crushing blow are your friends. Zeal is cheap and may not even need mana leech, though mana per kill could also be useful here. Either a holy freeze or tesladin/froster seem to be ok. Holy fire is apparently very hard due to all the fire enchants/immunes so Id steer clear of that one. Thats about it.

4. scarred_life

So what about something like this:

20 Zeal
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Resist Cold

Which is 103 skill points if my memory serves. Doable but then I wonder where to start for maximizing damage? I figure to at least start off on Zeal then alternate between Freeze/Shock and alternate pumping the resists last? Sorry if it seems like a lot of questions but I have no clue yet a good bit of interest in this character now.

Edit: I was thinking of using a might merc with this build but I was wondering if it would help at all? If not I was thinking maybe defiance? Also as far as stat points go I guess it's:
    Str - Enough for gear
    Dex - Max block and 95% chance to hit (if possible I don't know)
    Vit - Rest
    Energy - Base
    Correct me if my assumptions are wrong, just wanting to make sure.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I would say that you can't afford to have 20 in zeal for teslafrost build.
    I would do that like this:
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Resist Cold
    5 zeal
    5+ Holy Shield

or I would use a physical damage variant instead of one of the elemental auras:
    20 Holy Shock
    20 Resist Lightning
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice
    1 Fanaticism (optional)
    10+ Holy Shield

6. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

I'd vote on the physical version that Hru's posted, though I wouldn't bother with the 1 pointer fanatism and recommend 20 point holy shield at the cost of sacrifice or zeal depending on your AR or ITD. Combine with a defiance merc to give you good defence + 75% shield blocking.

Untwinked it should be pretty easy for you to find any type of phase blade. -30 speed weapons don't need much ias to hit 4fps.
    You could either imbue this with charsi as any mods you get are really icing then plug with a shael or if you get lucky you might get a 3 pot hole phase blade and then you make a cresent moon. Hell forge quests and some countess runs could produce the runes needed quite easily.
    Then add in a anya quest reward rare pally shield and then pretty much anything decent you find or minimum twinking of life or mana leech or resists gear.

Fully twinked tesladins are almost boring to play they are that over powered. Untwinked/low twinked sounds about right for interesting game play imho.

7. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

Thank God for this thread.... i was just thinking the same question about an Unwtinked Paladin (i have decided to make every diablo 2 character of mine Untwinked........ with a one rule attached. Only allowing one twinked item for that character through his whole journey).

I agree with Asmodeous try Hrus's method and aim for a fast weapon.

Or if you want something different try a Ranger using 2 or even 1 aura.

8. Jude

Jude IncGamers Member

Remember that Sacrifice gives a good synergy to Zeal, so if you are planning to use Zeal, maybe you should max out Sacrifice. Also, a point in Prayer and Cleansing is always handy (Prayer synergizes Cleansing).

Jude

9. DrLove

DrLove Banned

You could also try a Hammerdin. They're a lot of fun to play and you'll have no problems beating the game with one. http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=502 <-- Here is a guide written by Ragnarod. It was written during the .10 beta patch but it was written specifically for Single Player so it might be a bit more relevant than other guides. You should also have a look around the Paladin forum :)

10. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

make a holy fire ranger, and stay in act 1 until you find a ravenclaw ;)
    j/k make a elemental zealot, and some pts in holy shield is awsome,,... and errm, go for it :D

11. scarred_life

Well I decided that after looking over a skill calculator that second layout Hrus posted provided some rather whicked damage. So on that note I was wondering as to what the opinion is on where to start with the skills? I have a scepter now with +2 holy fire, +1 resist fire which when combined with lvl 4(maybe 5) zeal, nets me 4-5 hits at 20-41 damage per swing which is tearing up act 1 on players 8. So aside from the Zeal I have 4 extra skill points for now as the others went into pre-reqs. I'm just wondering on how to allocate the skill points as I go along. Any and all opinions would be wonderful and I want to thank all of you who have helped me along this far!

12. scarred_life

So I've had some incredible luck with getting some pretty decent items though I'm lacking life leech. I'm wondering what kind of cheap and easy way I can get it? It's not a get or die thing but it would be nice as I got ripped apart a few times in Act4 without it. I'm about to start Act5 and see how that goes.

13. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I assume you're still in Normal atm?

Life leach in Normal isn't really necessary, it's not until Nightmare and Hell that you really need it. The item I normally use on my Frost Zealots is the belt String of Ears (exceptional), gives life steal and physical damage reduction all in one item.

That or a ring/amulet with life steal I believe is the cheapest way to get it.

I'm putting my vote with those that said you need to get Holy Shield in your build somewhere, imho a must for physical paladins.

14. Cattleya

Blood gloves and/or belt can help your life leech out, and the crushing blow (gloves) and OW (belt) are pretty darn nice as well.

15. EJB

EJB IncGamers Member

My number 1 source of LL through most of normal and the first 2 acts of NM is always a Cathans Seal. I always seem to find 2 or 3 on my way through, and they work great. Another cheap one is a Stregnth RW-Amn+Tir, it also provides som CB if I remember right. I used that for all of my melee characters through NM and beyond untill I got my hands on better weapons. And for untwinked there isn't too many better options in my experience for NM. Make it in any fast weapon you can get your hands on.

EJB

16. scarred_life

I really appreciate Cat opening my eyes up to the blood crafts, really helped me out in a lot of ways!! I've found a decent weapon for now and I am currently running the NM countess until my eyes bleed in the hopes of a Lum (yes I know the odds are 1 in ~10000) but my resists are suffering and I'm in the hopes of making a Smoke runeword. So for now my question is this, I currently am armed with a Rhyme Shield (70% block, 172 defense) and picked up a nice little 4 socketed paladin shield with +10 resists. I was wondering your opinions as to keep the Rhyme or make the Spirit?

Rhyme: 70% block chance
    40% faster block rate
    +25 res all
    Spirit: +2 all skills
    +35 res (Lightning, Cold, Poison) = +45 res with the +10 already on the shield
    Only 40% block, with holy shield (counting +skills) I would have 63% chance to block

Tell me if I'm insane for wanting to do this, any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Again I would like to thank all of those that have helped me along thus far, it has made my journey a little less harsh.

Edit - The Akaran Targe only has a base defense of 119, so no boost on that so I'm also out 53 defense. And also for those who don't know:

Rhyme:
    20% Increased Chance of Blocking
    40% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    Cannot Be Frozen
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

Spirit:
    +2 To All Skills
    +25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)
    +55% Faster Hit Recovery
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +22 To Vitality
    +89-112 To Mana (varies)
    Cold Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +35%
    +3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)
    Attacker Takes Damage of 14

17. Cattleya

Unless you have it from another source, the CBF on Rhyme probably puts it in the winner category for your Paladin. A chilled melee character is an unhappy character.

18. scarred_life

Yeah I was thinking about that during my countess runs, that probably saved my *** a few times just after posting that, not to count all the times before that as well O_O