Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

untwinked merc advice please

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sirpoopsalot, May 24, 2005.

1. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

untwinked merc advice please

I'm trying to determine the better weapon setup for my untwinked, might merc (lvl 55). I have 2 options (thus far):

#1- Cruel War Scythe of Lamprey (247% ED, 8% L. leech)
    #2- Cruel War Scythe of Quickness (279% ED, 40% IAS)

I would like to keep some leech to help keep him alive, but the only other gear I have is crafted blood armor (3% leech), which is a significantly lower defence than the godly ancient armor I have him wearing right now.

Should I stick with my current 8% leech, higher defence armor, or switch and hope the increased damage/speed & 3% leech do the trick?

thanks in advance,
    'poops

PS, in case you want to know:
    To fill in the rest of the background, my char. is a lvl 76 polebarb, but after getting to Hell, I realized my old cold/caster merc couldn't kill anything, and I barely could, so a new complimentary merc was necessary. I've been do MF runs in early Hell/lvl 1 to pull him up to my level (after a few Baal runs, NM isn't challenging/interesting anymore, so I'm gonna drag him through hell to toughen him up).

2. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Well, it looks like you are in tough because either way is not optimal. Good for you going untwinked though.

But by the same token ... if you are in Hell and that's all you have for merc gear then may I respectfully suggest you go back to NM and farm Meph or Baal etc ... for some better items. You should be able to get something decent for your merc as well as keep your merc within +/- 5 levels of the area you are getting XP.

For armor you should be able to get something like an Iron Pelt (unique Trellised armor) or a Shaftstop (unique Mesh armor) in NM somewhat easily. If you have a decent ethereal armor that's not too high in level requirements then slap in the runes for Lionheart or something like that if you have the runes and you should be good to go until you can farm Hell Pits reasonably well at players1-3. If you don't have the runes for Lionheart then maybe Smoke will do for awhile.

For helms you should be able to farm and get a Vamp Gaze, Stealskull, Crown of Thieves, Tal's Crest in NM as well. Lots of choices there.

For weapons look to see in your ATMA stash (if you use ATMA) for an ethereal lance and slap in the runeword Honor. This is definately doable for sure and you will get a great weapon that will last until you get a Bonehew, Reaper's Toll, Tombreaver etc.

You should be able to farm NM for a Hone Sundan (always ethereal for a merc), Spire of Honor, Kelpie Snare ...

If you need to know what weapon to use currently ... then it depends on a couple of things:

- will you make the next usable breakpoint in frames per attack? Can't remember what a war scythe speed is but if it allows you to make the next BP then you will do more damage over time. Also depends on your helm and armor IAS modifiers if any.

- if you don't make the next BP then take the leech. The leech penalty is less in NM so you see a performance increase in NM but a decrease in leech performance in Hell.

- but take my advice and go back to NM and farm the usual targets and you will be better off.

Good luck to you.

3. sirpoopsalot

thanks for the advice, but after about 25 NM Meph/Baal runs, i found farming to be a boring pursuit (and what's the point of playing if its boring). So, as much as I need to farm better gear, I'll stick to the fun/challenge of hell and keep working towards the pit.

I'll definitely check into the runewords though, but untwinked it's hard to find a decent 5-socket spear/polearm for honor (i've kept my eyes open since about act3 NM/lvl 50, and I think I've seen one halberd :( ). I don't know the other runewords, but I don't have anything above a Hel rune, so I don't know how far I'll get there, so maybe a countess run or two (or ten) are in my future.

cheers,
    'poops

4. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

As has been mentioned, neither is really optimal... the massive ED of Cruel is balanced out by the low damage of a War Scythe.

Of course getting a better weapon might be tricky, so what you'll probably want to do is gamble. Gambling for spears/polearms can throw up some nice items, if you're lucky.

The major problem your merc will face is actually levelling up - lvl 55 in Hell is going to suffer quite a bit! If you can kill for him until he's higher level, he should do better though.

For the moment: switch to the higher-damage/speed polearm, and use the Blood Armour. At his level, monsters will hit him easily anyway, I suspect, so the extra defence may not make much of a difference. If he dies too much, try swapping his other armour back.

Good luck!

5. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

NM can only drop weapons with up to 4 sockets (to my knowledge). Try to find a polearm for the merc that can only get 5 sockets (Elite: Tresher, Cryptic Axe or Exceptional: Battle Scythe, Partizan). Go to Larzuk (Act 5) and let him create sockets in there. He will always give you the maximum number of sockets (at least for normal /superior items).
    Or you can try to cube sockets into it (1 Ral Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon of same type). This has a 2/6 chance of creating 5 sockets in the weapons I have listed above.
    I did some Hell Countess runs and found 4 Treshers (one was superior) in the first 20 runs (so I think they must be very common).
    Because your Merc is only level 55 he will have a hard time meeting the requirements for a Tresher (from the stats of my Level 78 Merc I think he should be able to equip a Thresher around level 75-76), I think it would be better to look for a Partizan until the merc can equip the Tresher.

For reference here is my Honor Tresher :D :
    Honor
    Superior Thresher
    'AmnElIthTirSol'
    Two-Hand Damage: 40 to 384
    Durability: 65 of 65
    Required Dexterity: 118
    Required Strength: 152
    Required Level: 53
    Polearm Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 81
    Fingerprint: 0xfacadca
    +10 to Strength
    +160% Enhanced Damage
    +6% Enhanced Damage
    +52 to Attack Rating
    +200 to Attack Rating
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    +9 to Maximum Damage
    7% Life stolen per hit
    Replenish Life +10
    +1 to Light Radius
    +1 to All Skill Levels
    +2 to Mana After Each Kill
    25% Deadly Strike
    Socketed (5: 5 used)

Just out of curiosity: What kind of Barb have your got?
    Mine is a Berzerker at Level 78 (Hardcore).

6. sirpoopsalot

@ AndiDi
    He's a lvl76 WW polebarb (untwinked/softcore). I'm using a lot of berserk in Hell though, so that (or FindItem) might be my next skill.

@ Shade
    Part of the reason i'm running Hell now is because I expect a few/lot more levels will be necessary before I can reasonably tackle Hell/Baal, so I figure with my exp. requirements to level (40M) vs. my mercs (1M), i'll still be leveling faster than at NM (as long as I don't die :rolleyes: ), and he'll catch up relatively quickly.

Thanks to both (& bill_n_opus), i guess i'll try the new setup and see if there's a noticable difference (good or bad). And of course, I'll keep my eyes open for a decent 5 socket spear/pole.