Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untwinked Cold Fusion Paladin - Possible?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tiffany, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

Untwinked Cold Fusion Paladin - Possible?

For the fun of it, I decided to try an untwinked cold fusion paladin. The build will likely be similar to a Teslafroster, with some differences in skill selection.

Normal started out pretty easily on P8 and he picked up a 6-11 scepter with CTC Amp from Akara by lvl 11. That took him easily through most of the first act and he hit Andariel at level 19, with two points into Holy Freeze. She dropped a 20% Nagelring and . . . Crushflange! The Countess dropped a Tal and he made Stealth in Splint Mail (which he still wears at lvl 46).

Acts 2-4 yielded Hsarus' belt and boots, a two OS tower shield. Act 5 yielded a Shael (two actually) and he made Rhyme in the tower shield.

Duskdeep and Cathan's Seal round out the equipment of note. Rare ring and amulet are middling (despite lots of gambling) and the gloves are nothing (17% to PR and 14% Magic Find).

Baal and his minions were not difficult, although P8 became P1. Drop again wasn't useful.

Andariel in nightmare went down easily (15 points in both HF and HS), although the merc died early with his pathetic gear. She yielded a Nightsmoke (which won't help as the Hsarus combination improves with levels) and a unique barbed shield which won't replace Rhyme.

Radament died as well and that's where he stands to date. His readout:

Name: TitusAndronicus
    Class: Paladin
    Experience: 34187760
    Level: 46

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 75/90
    Dexterity: 85/92
    Vitality: 135/135
    Energy: 15/30
    HP: 495/520
    Mana: 82/82
    Stamina: 244/259
    Defense: 21/361
    AR: 410/1014

Fire: 132/92/32
    Cold: 79/39/-21
    Lightning: 89/49/-11
    Poison: 103/63/3

MF: 59 Block: 61
    GF: 50
    FR/W: 45
    FHR: 37
    IAS: 0
    FCR: 25

Has anyone played an untwinked teslafroster through Hell? Not quite sure what to expect as this continues. I will run Countess for runes as well as bosses, full clears are not a requirement and ATMA is used (no ladder runewords).

One of the reasons I wanted to try this was to rediscover some of the tactics with the Cube. Merc is the proud owner of a Savage Partizan (59-129) from the Kris/Belt/Staff/Diamond formula.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Re: Untwinked Cold Fusion Paladin - Possible?

Nice going Tiffany sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I can imagine that its possible to work your way through hell with this character. When you hit the nightmare hell forge you could even score a nice rune that could change things quite a bit. I would be keeping an eye out for runes that can make prudence, or treachery. Treachery preferably. Also nightmare act 3 is where you might get skillers grand charms. You might want to consider crafting too. How much MF gear are you using? All the best with this character.

3. Virtue

Virtue IncGamers Member

Every time I see these threads I think of Superdave. I'm pretty sure almost every character imaginable has gone through the game via SPF or other on Dii(i).net untwinked. It's all about smart play and persistence. Something I lack!

4. JoeBruce

JoeBruce IncGamers Member

Appears as if you have a pretty good start. What is your skill layout/distribution right now?

Are you still using the crushflange? Not a horrible choice, because you want to maintain a source of crushing blow, but you want to keep your eye out for something fast, and get crushing blow from elsewhere if needs be (try crafting blood gloves if you can't find anything). Also, doesn't crushflange have knockback? Bittersweet mod; it adds both safety and annoyance.

Try to increase your MF in any way you can; if you can sacrifice the duskdeep for a while and don a 3 PTopaz helm it could net you some nice finds. Hsarus' belt + boots is an awesome, totally end-game worthy combo (that AR per level bonus is crucial); Nightsmoke is also a great belt (don't discount 50% damage goes to mana - use the cube to up it to exceptional for the extra belt row).

I noticed the only actual question you asked is in the thread title. Your answer is yes, it is possible. :)

5. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Sounds an awful lot like the boat I am in right now...

I restarted with an (obviously) untwinked Frost Zealot. Things got real nice and easy once I hit 18 and got HF. Pushed through to Normal Meph and hit him up 100 times or so until I got frustrated with all the failed S/U's, then pressed on. I made a Stealth as well, that I wore for a time, and also a Rhyme, being almost mandatory for CBF. I used a Strength Longsword for the nice stat bonuses and CB.

Posessing full Sigon's minus the shield, I went for NM Meph. I shook that money tree around 400 times, netting some REALLY nice items, but sadly not the easy items I was really looking for, namely Angelic Jewelry and a Guillaume's.

Life was exceptionally smooth until I hit Hell. Actually, I think it hit me. I had a 30 minute epic battle with Corpsefire's pack. Quite possibly my most humbling D2 experience. I couldn't tank more than 2 of them at a time, and the big guy spawned CI/PI. It may have been easier if I had HS too, but I doubt it. Giving up the safety of HF would have proven fatal.

So is it possible? Yep, anything is possible. Is it a good idea? That's another story.

As for me, back to farming NM Meph until he quits being stingy, then level to 78 or so before I try Hell again.

Disclaimer: The preceeding was the experience of a whiney, spoiled SC player. Those with a higher degree of skil and more patience may mock at their leisure.

Edit: Gear entering Hell after 400 Meph runs:

Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
    Nokozan Relic
    Butcher's Pupil
    Gerke's Sanctuary
    Ribcracker (switch)
    Spirit Forge 'OrtOrt'
    Magnus' Skin
    Raven Frost
    Immortal King's Detail
    Rare Ring AR/Str/Res All
    Tearhaunch

6. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

TA is level 50 now and in the Canyon of the Magi trying to farm equipment. No luck on magic/rare/unique items, but a very interesting option presented itself when a Holy Water Sprinkler (no skills) fell. Imbues are rarely good and rarely eventful when twinking, but here was a chance and I went to normal Charsi to see what she could do:

Cruel Breaker
    Holy Water Sprinkler
    One Hand Damage: 20 - 70
    Durability: 57 of 60
    Required Level: 30
    Required Strength: 76
    Fingerprint: 0x4d04e6c7
    Item Level: 54
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +30% Increased Attack Speed
    45% Enhanced Damage
    +18 to Maximum Damage
    +150% Damage to Undead
    +1 to Resist Lightning (Paladin Only)
    +1 to Meditation (Paladin Only)
    +3 to Fanaticism (Paladin Only)
    +41 to Mana
    Poison Resist +7%

Woot!!

Crushflange has been bittersweet indeed. It simply has not done enough physical damage to permit effective leeching with the Cathan's Seal, even at 6%. Now I'm going to try this new toy, courtesy of that barbarian loving blacksmith.

Skill distribution is max HF, max HS, four hard points in zeal and 3 in Holy Shield with one remaining to be allocated.

Current readout:

Experience: 48524240
    Level: 50

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 95/99
    Dexterity: 75/82
    Vitality: 150/150
    Energy: 15/30
    HP: 548/573
    Mana: **/129
    Stamina: 263/278
    Defense: 18/376
    AR: 360/1004

Fire: 82/42/-18
    Cold: 79/39/-21
    Lightning: 110/70/10
    Poison: 119/79/19

MF: 62 Block: 49
    GF: 50
    FR/W: 45
    IAS: 30

I have already reset his stats and skills once, using normal Akara. Level 3 fanaticism? Should be interesting.

7. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

I suggest all out MF gear: 4os gothic plate filled with ptopazes, Any 3os hat with ptopazes, MF amulet & 2 rings. Gambled MF gloves and boots.

Frostzealot dosn't need much finesse as monsters are walking in molass. Run normal Baal at /p8 and equpi Generals Tan Do Li as fast as you find it. It makes the monsters even slower.

Move to NM wearing the MF equipment and run Mephisto for a while gathering all kind of equipment you might want to use. Black in a knout is nice weapon except that the knockback might be a bit plava.

Check all possible runewords for their effects as they are easier to make than finding good S/U.

Scrap the MF gear when entering hell and get your resists up. Don't try anything else than /p1 in hell unless you know that there are no CIs or Pis around.

Good luck!

8. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

TitusAndronicus is now level 60, having defeated Mephisto with little trouble, relying upon his Holy Freeze and King's Grace divine scepter.

Along the way, he defeated some mobs at the temple guarding the entrance to the Durance of Hate and they left behind the following:

Chance Guards
    Chain Gloves
    Defense: 27
    Durability: 13 of 16
    Required Level: 15
    Required Strength: 25
    Fingerprint: 0xdfdc2a4f
    Item Level: 57
    +25 to Attack Rating
    +27% Enhanced Defense
    +15 Defense
    200% Extra Gold from Monsters
    39% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to Light Radius

Meph, on the other hand, dropped nothing of use.

Switching over to the Fusion (lightning) part of his skill set, TA waded through the mobs at the beginning of Act IV and into the Plains of Despair and City of the Damned. After one particularly difficult battle, the ground was littered with items, including this one:

Fletcher's Grand Charm of Sustenance
    Grand Charm
    Required Level: 42
    Fingerprint: 0x73dd2cbd
    Item Level: 56
    +1 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +22 to Life

While he continues to wear Stealth armor and Hsarus' belt/boots combination, his jewelry has been upgraded a bit:

Wraith Scarab
    Amulet
    Required Level: 50
    Fingerprint: 0x87211d7
    Item Level: 57
    10% Chance to cast level 3 Hydra when struck
    +8% Faster Run/Walk
    3% Life stolen per hit
    +10 to Life
    All Resistances +19
    19% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Blood Grip
    Ring
    Required Level: 34
    Fingerprint: 0xfceae1e6
    Item Level: 54
    3% Life stolen per hit
    +7 to Strength
    +12 to Life
    Fire Resist +22%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 1

Dread Eye
    Ring
    Required Level: 35
    Fingerprint: 0x677a2e65
    Item Level: 58
    +3 to Minimum Damage
    2% Life stolen per hit
    +4 to Strength
    +13 to Life
    Cold Resist +28%
    Fire Resist +22%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 2

Helm is still a rare coronet, not very special and neither are the gloves. Perhaps he can find a magic casque or sharkskin gloves and craft something useful. He has four perfect rubies remaining.

None of the fights were terribly difficult as long as he didn't wade into battle as if he had life tap. The merc, on the other hand, dies easily. I'll probably have to wait for Hellforge NM and hope that an Um drops. Then a Fal would allow for Lionheart.

Switching auras has been a real treat so far, but I don't know if it will carry into Hell. But that's a long ways away. His readout for now:

Experience: 119314104
    Level: 60

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 100/111
    Dexterity: 95/102
    Vitality: 175/175
    Energy: 15/15
    HP: 663/753
    Mana: 103/103
    Stamina: 298/313
    Defense: 23/512
    AR: 460/1301

Fire: 147/107/47
    Cold: 111/71/11
    Lightning: 107/67/7
    Poison: 113/73/13

MF: 44 Block: 53
    GF: 58
    FR/W: 53
    IAS: 0

Zeal now has 12 points.

Hellforge: Pul. That's fairly useless for a non-twinked character as I would still need an Um and more for decent body armor. I have enough runes to cube a Lum and a Fal would have been preferable. Oh well, into ATMA and maybe there will be a use some day.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  9. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Pul useless? Think about the upgrade recipies... almost vital for an untwinked character.

10. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

OMG . . . I feel so stupid!

Thanks for the reminder. Unique weapons and rare armor will be open to elites.

Still, I was sort of setting my heart on Hel-Lum-Fal.

11. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Smoke, Nef Lum will probably be a more useful armor. 50 all res is a godsend on untwinked characters.

12. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

Not much new to report. TitusAndronicus is now level 73 and has managed to defeat Baal and his minions on Players 3 setting with his King's Grace Divine Scepter. Baal dropped a couple of interesting items during a few Baal runs: Mahim-Oak Curio (which TA is now wearing), Cat's Eye Amulet and Coldsteel Eye. I tried out the Coldsteel Eye and it worked really well, even on Act I, Blood Moor (Hell).

Also, several Ko runes have dropped, so that I could make a Fal and still retain two Ko runes for later. The Fal went into a 3 OS Superior Russet Armor along with a Hel and a Lum. Sweet!

Unique: nothing special.

Set items: Still using the Hsarus' belt and boots. Normal set items have dropped like pennies from a broken piggy bank, but nothing decent to wear. CB is still at 9% from crafted gloves. Lightning damage per hit is over 2100 now.

13. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Hang in there... I'd level up to at least 75 on Baal before any real attempts at Hell difficulty. You should keep an eye out for "Oath" base items, since the runes for that are fairly likely to fall.

14. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

No ladder runewords in this game. Otherwise, I would be looking out for Lawbringer or something as well. I still have not been able to figure out how to get the mod to work. (OK, I'm really bad with computers.)

Yeah, I have been murking about doing Baal, Countess and now the Pit. My Merc dies a little too easily, but equipment, runes and jewels are piling up and he's level 77 now. I'm trying to decide if it is worthwhile to upgrade an almost perfect Coldsteel Eye and then socket it or just keep working. A two socket Ataghan also fell and Strength might be an option if I change my boots to Goblin Toes which fell in WSK. But then I lose the combined defense and AR bonus from Hsarus" equipment and I don't know if that's a good idea.

I need a better option for PI/LI. Cold damage isn't enough yet as I re-rolled the stats to max out lightning first (so cold fusion isn't quite as accurate any longer). Thus far, if I run into those monsters, I usually beat a retreat. Crescent Moon would be nice, but I'll need an Um for that and Hellforge is a ways away. Act 2 Hell has been nice with rune drops in the past with 1.13, so maybe . . .

I'll keep moving through the Pit for now. Lots of cold immunes, but very few PI/LI. A white Hydra bow dropped . . . finally. LOL . . . but I retired the twinked bowazon.

15. Tiffany

Tiffany IncGamers Member

This may be the last update as it's becoming clear that TA will have no problems finishing act V Hell and the summer is coming to a close.

His equipment has improved from the many Pit runs, Mephy, LK runs and Diablo.

Sitting at 83:

1. Found a Harlequin Crest in the Marsh on the way to the Pit off a boss Brute. Nice and the first unique Shako I have ever found.

2. Upped the Coldsteel Eye with its 247% ED. I have a 40% ED jewel that could be used if I choose to socket it. Also found a magic Ettin Axe in the Pit that was crafted to a blood axe with 12% life steal and +118 AR. The Coldsteel Eye Ataghan works better.

3. In the Pit, Spellsteel dropped and the level 3 decrepify charges made all the difference in the world. The teleport charges helped in Durance 2 especially.

4. That's about it. Everything else is the same and there isn't much doubt that Titus can Pat with the present equipment.

5. So, untwinked the cold fusion Paladin is definitely possible, although for me, it took many runs of the Pit (and on the way) to get comfortable with the end game equipment and LK for the runes (which have not been used). It was sort of fun to realize that the Hsarus' belt/boots combo really can be end game equipment, as can the blood crafted rings and amulet (although I replaced the blood amulet with Mahim Oak Curio and probably could have used the Cat's Eye if I wanted to use the blood crafted axe).

Perhaps more intriguing for me was the ability to successfully begin Pit running with a King's Grace Divine Scepter. That was a very nice weapon for quite some time. Lionheart Russet Armor caused a leap in ability as well.

Have fun. Got to uninstall D2 now and get back to work.