Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

untwinked chars

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Notropon, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Notropon

Notropon IncGamers Member

untwinked chars

You heard alot about, that your chars have to be twinked to be real nice, and many builds, assume that you are rich...

But here is my question
    what is, in your opinion, the char that need the least amount of expensive gear?
    i am starting playing diablo again, so i need to restart my account, and therefore have no items. What should I start out as?

2. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

Untwinked

I personally think a meteor/orb sorceress is pretty solid as a choice, you can do some significant damage, with pretty mediocre gear. Other options would be a hammerdin, or skellimancer. These are all fairly cookie cutterish, but solid enough to do well without the high priced items. They can all then do MF runs to help build your stash of gear for other chars. Keep Pgems and trade them for midlvl gear when you can.

Other options would be single tree sorcs that rely on massive synergy dmg rather than insane +skills (blizzard or hydra or meteor sorc) but those have trouble killing immunes to that tree. Wind druids can be pretty tough with relatively cheap equipment as well. You may not dominate with these, but they can all help found your new account.

3. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

spell casters or any character that dont need the power of a weapon to make the kill.

sorc, just about any build will do. necro, thay are powerful now and if u take the summon tree u could very well do most of the game naked. trap assassin, traps can make a kill and tget the death trap started only need to have 1 out, lightning trap do more dmg. wind druids are good, powerful spells and summons to draw fire. hammerdins, u may need to get close to kill but pallys have some nice skills like redemption, and holy shield to help keep u alive.

have fun :)

4. Ironcarrot

Ironcarrot IncGamers Member

To be honest sorcs are rubbish in hell, with cheap gear they have utterly pathetic resists and you will be scraping through with zero mf and not having much fun running, casting, running and casting to kill in later levels.

It is not easy to find plus skills items for sorcs and if anyone suggests sojs are easy to get hold of terrible things will happen. Side note, noobs will spam every baal run with 'sorc tele' endlessly , when you cant because one gloam shot= death you are called a noob and everyone quits.

Summonnacers are fun but incredibly slow, also needing massive skills plus to kill in hells later acts, fun and good for team play, noobs again bash you for not letting them get killed and provideing meat shields so they dont get hit casting 7 orbs and making it seem you are the only reason the game is lagging.

Hammerdins are the best, Ive played the above two, amazons, sins and barbs. Shopping you will find a weapon with a total of 5 skills to battle hammer, great shields of the anya quest, high resists and plus skills, I had 2 plus skills on my last shield last time, socket it with a diamond and you have few worries about resists, better is salvation, your killing time slows but you can switch between that and concentrate for a few seconds for instance when diablo uses the dreaded lightening breath of death and revert back.

You can craft plus 3 to combat skills amulets, Ive done it twice and if your on europe you can have it, that means you can have a 4 socket goth armour filled with perfect topazs and helm with topazs. Very easy to get and 160 odd mf

5. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

Ironcarrot puts some points on the board, but that is if you plan to do a lot of 8ppl pubbie games. No untwinked character is going to do a lot of dominating in an 8ppl game. Any of the characters above can do just fine for you in 1-3 ppl quick MF runs, you just need to pick your locations to hunt. You can use topazed gear for sorcs and Necros too. You can get max block on a sorc. You will find orbs and wands that you can use to give boosts to certain skills, or even all skills. Necros with synergized skills and CE can clear screens quickly in smaller games. You will be fine, and you will find gear as you build whatever sounds fun. Any of them can MF, again, just pick your targets.

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i would like to see anybody who suggests playing through untwinked with a sorc actually do it.

the ones that i know have done it are:
    FA zon
    skelemancer
    hammerdin
    ww barb
    conc barb

7. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Actually, if I had to rebuild from scratch I'd do it with a LF Zon.

Cracked Javelins
    3PT Helm
    4PT Armor

20 LF
    20 Valk

is all you need to run Eldritch Hell all day long. I leveled mine from 76 to 87 or ** in around 1,3k Eldritch runs in 3 evenings and picked up quite a few elites along the way, definitely enough to buy a Sorc equip so that you can start running Mephisto for example.

8. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i tried. theoretically, you can use cracked javs. but in reality, you need some semi-decent javs to leech with.

i lucked out quite a bit. my current javs are:
    rare mat javelin
    199% ed
    6% dual leech.

i've been using these since i made my first zon in .10, and i still haven't found any better. i got them from a charsi imbue.

9. Singollo

Singollo IncGamers Member

day 4~7 of ladder i had occy, tal ammy, wealth armor, 41% wts, ali baba and rhyme on switch. most i found off nm meph but tal ammy, traded shaft stop for it. i used lvl 60~70 blizzard sorc doing meph, took maybe 400 runs over 3 days but it can be done. when i did my 1st run i had a topazed armor and helm, rare orb with +2 blizzard and 20fcr, magefist and wall of the eyeless and 2 crap fcr rings both magic. if you cant stay alive in this game when you are in a party, you shouldnt play this game :hanky:

when this ladder season is over, you can come with me and i will show you how one uses a sorc to teleport to nm meph and take him out with blizzard

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If the resists are pathetic, the priorities you have made are wrong. Getting decent resists should be a main priority. à find that to be a lot easier to do with sorceresses than with most other characters. She is a natural shield user who mostly does not need much blocking (meaning you can easily have 57%+ resist all on a shield) and you can get good resists from an orb as well. You don´t need any life/mana steal or increased attack speed which again makes it possible to add up resistances from many equipment slots.

11. rickcarson

rickcarson IncGamers Member

Untwinked -/- DIY Twinking

When I switched over from HC to SC to play with some people I knew, this is what I did.

1. Create a normal Durimule
    2. Create a Nightmare Durimule
    3. Create a Hell Durimule

Just about anything will do for #1. Pick your favourite low level skill and go to town. A good example would be Charged Bolt, Thorns, or Bash - something that you wouldn't normally put a lot of points into, but which owns acts 1 and 2. Resists and other gear is largely irrelevant at this stage... you don't even have to beat Duriel.

Next up is the Nightmare Durimule, you can get creative here, but the things to look for are resists, and a low-medium skill that owns all of Normal. For this I think the 'best' character is an Assassin with a couple of points in Fade, (eventually) a Shadow Master, and all the points you can shake a shako at in Wake of Fire. For gear the only thing you need is a Leaf. (Fig-Leaf??? :-D ) You will be able to cruise through Normal, especially Act 4 which can be a real show stopper because of the elemental bolting death knigits.
    NB: if playing hardcore, this is a great mid-low level build because you can shove *all* your stat points into Vitality. It's good for 'getting the ball rolling' since you can find viable gear for getting your other chars through Act 4.

Lastly there's Hell. For this, I recommend a Skelimancer:
    20 S&M
    20 Skel Warrior
    20 Skel Magi
    and a Clay Golem in a pear tree.
    Whether or not you ascribe to this being a viable build in late Hell, he can certainly (untwinked) rock and roll all over Nightmare and Acts 1-2 of Hell. Keep in mind that the viability of the build in Hell is level dependent - since your level vs monsters level is the major factor for whether your Warriors can hit in Hell. At the very least you'd want to be 60+ (so if you're gonna get rushed into Hell at level 12 - go all the way, and have them do the staff quest for you too)

If you loathe and despise Necro's with a passion, you might want to pick any of the other builds that can do pit runs nekked... oh wait, there are none! ;-p

Necro can pit run for a bit, switch to countess runs for variety. For levelling up and *amount* of decent gear, I recommend Hell Andy (Pit Run can give *higher quality*, but at a much lower frequency, and at lower levels doesn't give as much XP. After about lvl 75 you won't get squat in XP for doing Andy runs though. (Think about what happens if you do a pit run with 0% MF for instance, compared to Andy with 0% MF)

My MF Necro has -ve resists in the pits, and it doesn't worry him.

The third great thing that these chars all share is low reliance on Charms. None of them really need lots of resist or +skill charms or life or strength (etc), so you can have huge amounts of space to mule into if you did (for instance) a Baal run or Pit run and hit the motherlode.

Other classes have more 'leet' builds, but I had a lot of trouble with Hammer and Blizzard without good gear - a lot of builds will stall in the mid 40s, especially if you're on a slow/dodgy connection.

Hope that helps!

BTW - For good early gear:
    Weapons: chipped emeralds in socketed weapon or Leaf (TirRal)
    Armor: Stealth (TalEth), socketed with your other gems
    Boots/Gloves/Belt: gamble
    Helm: Nadir (NefTir) - Cloak of Shadows is like Dim Vision only better!
    Blings and tings: whatever you can find
    Shield: just suck it up and go rescue those freakin barbs, M'kay!?!

These runes are all easy to get with Normal countess runs. (Heck, even my Hell Countess runs - wtf is with getting 4 runes.. the highest of which is Nef!! Nef!!! NEF!!!???!!!! I'll give you %^#^&%^ Nef!)

12. Ironcarrot

Ironcarrot IncGamers Member

In answer to my detractors I strongly concur with hal, remove barbs and zons from that list however in my estimation I have a twinked zon who again licks balls in hell. She has titans revenge, maxed valk and LS, a buriza d-kyanon (sp?), strong shield, water walks, razor tail, plus two skill gloves (passive). Zons are by far the funnest build so far but have been downgraded heavily.

My 73 level meteorb with silks of the viper magi, a plus one skill p.diamond shield, 5 + to meteor/2+ to skills and some token items is utterly useless even in baal runs. Sorcs need lots of odd items that are not readily available to survive, the silly bint cannot kill and cannot survive.

Hammerdins are without doubt the fastest method and remain viable in hell and comes with ready made resists (massive lev for one stat point) you can buy great maces with plus skills and shields come from the anya quest not counting the endless shield drops, high vigor also helps mf running.

13. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

My first two ladder characters were untwinked skellemancer and wind druid, both MF oriented. Neither had any issue whatsoever wearing 3pt helms and 4pt armor through Hell