Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untwinked Builds per Class

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by twincitiesknick, Sep 22, 2010.

1. twincitiesknick

twincitiesknick Diabloii.Net Member

Untwinked Builds per Class

Good afternoon,

I played D2 when it first came out, and got a serious hankering to go back and get some characters through Hell mode eventually. However, when I look for builds, most focus on the best gear to get, which leads me to believe they'd be bad for straight untwinked runs (not planning on a lot of item find runs).

What are the best builds per class these days? I heard of fishymancer, but was also looking for builds I can do well with using not great equipment for the other classes as well. I'm pretty open.

Thanks a ton for your help!

twincitiesknick

p.s. This will be on single-player from the ground up.

2. LiquidClear

LiquidClear Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Untwinked Builds per Class

Well I'll give my opinions on some of them

Assassin: Lightning Sentry Trapper is considered to be almost up there with the Fishymancer in terms of ease, but kick builds aren't bad either since it's not as hard to find high damage boots as it is high damage weapon.

Amazon: I'd recommend the "Fishyzon" (Lightning Fury/Frozen Arrow hybrid). Both of the skills they focus on rely on skill points as opposed to a high damage weapon; only problem will be mana, but if you don't mind drinking the blue stuff it should be one of the easiest untwinked builds you can make.

Barbarian: I have very little experience untwinked here, so someone else recommend :p

Druid: If you can hang on until level 30 or so just beating on stuff and relying on your merc, Wind Druid (Tornado/Hurricane) has to be the easiest untwinked build. Shapeshifters (especially bears) rely on decent weapons which makes it tough to get through untwinked.

Necro: Fishy, as you stated, without a doubt.

Paladin: I'd say either a Tesladin (holy shock) or a Teslafroster (Holy Shock/Holy Freeze hybrid). It's another build that uses skill points instead of high damage weapons. Hammerdin is another easy option, but I hate playing hammerdins without a means of teleport, so I can't recommend one to you untwinked :p

Sorceress:
    Frozen Orb/Fire Ball if you want a dual tree sorc is probably best for untwinked. If you don't mind teleing past cold immunes, a Blizzard sorc will pack a ridiculous amount of power even with crap gear. Also, if you don't mind using the respec, it might be easiest to start out as a fire sorc since if you find a Tir and Ral rune, you can make a Leaf Staff very early on.

So yeah those are my recommendations, but I'm sure more credible players will come with theirs soon :)

3. twincitiesknick

twincitiesknick Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the reply!

How would a wind druid deal with physical-immunes? Also, I thought that cold mastery gets through resistances - is this no longer the case, or does this allow a blizzard sorc to deal with cold immunes? (Been a while since I played lol, this may no longer be true.)

Amazon sounds fun, but it sounds also like I'd be constantly porting back to town to buy more arrows. Never played one because this part of amazons always sounded like a huge pain, in addition to the constant mana drain, but dunno.

4. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Arrows drop all the time - it´s actually quite rare to run out of them in the field. A pack of cool javelins you´re using as a javazon, however, that one usually needs plenty of repairs...

5. LiquidClear

LiquidClear Diabloii.Net Member

Wind Druids use Hurricane to deal with Physical Immunes since it deals cold damage... it's slower than killing with Tornado, but it's essentially your backup anyways.

6. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

CM used to pierce cold immunity, but it does not do that any longer. It lowers a monster's resistance and can massively increase damage (max CM doubles damage to a monster with 0% cold resistance, for example, and quadruples your damage to a monster with 50% cold resistance), but it cannot remove immunity.

As for Amazons, the arrows are not much of an issue at all. The stacks take quite a while to run out and you find plenty as you play. Mana is also not an issue if you are using physical damage skills (strafe, multishot) and have some mana leech. If you are using the cold-based bow skills, on the other hand, you will be sucking blue potions like crazy.

7. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

with the advent of respecs you can untwink just about every class with a certain set of skills, then respec it to whatever build you want when you get a bit better gear. this is helpful for builds that are great for norm/nm, but then start to falter in hell. the wind druid is a particularly good build for hell, but will struggle through norm up until level 24. in this case starting as a fire druid is highly recomended. here's my take on untwinked characters with ease of questing in mind:

amazon:
    as stated above, fishyzon (LF/FA) is great untwinked. the early levels however are tough in the mana consumption department. you'll be chugging blues like an alcoholic. here's an interesting thread about this topic in the OP it's suggested that using the poison skills would be more beneficial in the early going since they have a big area of effect for less mana.

assasin:
    trapsin all the way. in the early going of my last trapper i dumped points into fireblast. it's outstanding in the early going. from my experience with trappers, i'd say 6-10 points into fireblast will carry you until you can start using an effective trap. i dont count CBS as an effective trap. later, after maxing light sentry i alternate points into death sentry and fire blast. by the time hell rolls around you have a very effective counter to light immunes. this is a build that can get by with its synergies and/or other skills so that you dont really need to respec.

barbarian:
    pretty much every build needs one thing to be effective, a good weapon. nightfish once again has the key to this build. berzerk is the skill you'll want if you're completely untwinked. it has very high ed% as well as having an excellent synergy for an untwinked character in howl. sprinkle heavily with warcry, taunt, and battle cry and you're better off than some of the builds.

druid:
    as i mentioned above, the windy got a great tool in the respec. windys are notoriously crappy until they get a skill that can kill in tornado. i've played them through these levels, it's a test in patience. i suggest going with the fire route. it has a good skill progression up until fissure with very useful skills in molten boulder and firestorm. once you get to fissure, the monsters just melt away. complement your attacks with one point into each of the summons down to bear and you're good until you're about ready to enter nm. you could even make it most of the way through nm with fire if you wanted, but you may want to use nm as a testing ground for your play abilities. tornado is pretty tough to aim and it does take some practice. i suggest respecing at the end of normal, after you've leveled enough that you think you're ready.

necro:
    easy as pie, max skeletons, mastery and CE. smattering of amp and you're good. summoners have it super easy as their main skill is available at level 1. you even get a wand with it. you may have heard of this guy by now. for another build i really like this one though. it lets you decide what dies a bit better than a typical summoner. you also dont have to fear the dreaded doorway.

pally:
    these guys too have a relatively easy time in the early game, though like the druid, the best late game build (hammerdin) doesnt have much to offer in the early going. this (to me) is another case of pwn through norm/nm, then respec to the hell-viable build. zealots (frost, physical, fire, light) can easily beat normal. the ease depends on which way you'll want to go. i prefer frost as you get the safe, slowing effect of holy freeze, but it does take a bit of grinding with might aura + w/e weapon you can find. physical has a decent progression of skills (few into sac, then one might, then zeal) but requires more damaging weapons as you progress. the elemental auras really only require you to have a weapon that swings decently fast. instead of waiting until you get to act 5 norm, i'd suggest going to the end of act 3/beginning of act 4 with a zealot (or until you feel your kill speed slow) then respec to hammerdin. it really is sick how strong the build is. you need very little that isnt provided by prereqs or ancillary auras.

sorc:
    blizz sorc. a pretty easy build. you have excellent skills for the early part of the game leading up to a game ender, blizzard. frozen orb is the center of the most effective hybrid builds though if you dont want to get stuck mfing a single target. check the sorc sticky for great guides, there are tons of them.

with all these builds you do have to do some work, you may shop, gamble, imbue, run areas over, mf as you level, whatever in varying degrees to get the gear you need, but most of these builds are able to make it without much which is why they're ideal for untwink. for general gameplay tips, i recommend reading these two fine guides:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660255
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620901

now's a good time to start in on d2 as the ladder is about to reset so many, many, many people are asking "what's the best" type questions. on the front page of nearly every class subforum, there are these types of threads. also in community. good luck :thumbsup:

Ventrell likes this.
  8. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

I´d like to give Martial Arts Assassins a bit of limelight here. While not as easy to play as a lightning Trapper, there are at least five variants of these that are perfectly viable through the whole game. Another cool thing about them is that they all work fine with just about any type of mercenary (except the weak lightning/fire Act III mages).

For all of the builds, I recommend the following utility skills:
    (one point unless specified otherwise)

- Dragon Flight (poor woman´s teleport, frees up your amulet/circlet choice for something else, at the cost of 1-4 skill points, depending on build)

- Blade Fury. There are some monsters you really don´t want to stand next to. With this skill, you can have a ranged attack even if you wield a melee weapon.

- Burst of Speed

- Fade (you can skip this if your Shadow is the Master and you have gear that gives you high resists anyway)

- Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows. Great crowd control skills.

- Death Sentry 5+ points. Major clean-up skill on low players settings. It´s also a handy corpse destruction tool.

- Shadow Warrior or Shadow Master 10+ points. They have the same base life and resists. Master does more damage (she gets Elite claws, and lots of rare gear at high levels) but Warrior is better for elemental tanking (you can force her to cast Fade) and more predictible. I recommend Master for SC play and Warrior for HC play.

The different variants:

Tiger Strike + fat weapon
    The idea here is to charge Tiger Strike 3 times, then release an Attack that does +1440% (or more) damage with a big weapon. Death Sentry (which you will have the skill points to pump a lot) as cleanup.

Tiger Strike + Dragon Tail
    Massive group fire damage. Damage mostly depends on the type of boots you use. Any elite boots work fine - it´s good to have item freedom when playing untwinked.

Dragon Talon
    Very quick single target attack (that will hit multiple times if the monster is up against a wall or another creature). Load up on Crushing Blow to go along with your elite boots. Crafted blood gloves and a decent Strength weapon is very easy to come by.

Weapon + shield Phoenix Striker
    Very versatile and quite safe if you aren´t reckless. There are only two things I require from my one-handed weapons for this build: 1. Reasonably fast. 2. Range more than 1. So the weapon slot is wide open. Lots of good options.
    The fire synergy (Fists of Fire) doesn´t need that many skill points (about 10 is fine) because you can stack the flames hard if needed (they burn for a very long time). Boost the lightning synergy (Claws of Thunder) more.

Claw/Claw elemental Martial Arts
    Here you use a decent investment in weapon block for safety. Many points in Fists of Fire, Claws of Thunder and Phoenix Strike. Mix and match the skills as you play. Dragon Claw is a good finishing move because it has a nice AR bonus and you get two chances to hit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010