Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

untwinked blizballer or new build - spikeor

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by munchkins, Sep 28, 2006.

1. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

untwinked blizballer or new build - spikeor

how effective is this build of sorc untwinked? how many + to skills does it need to say, solo hell baal effectively?

also how about a .. hm lets call it spikeor sorc
    hi dmg metoer with a freeze solid cold spell to hold them in the flames (GS)... id this build effective, or would the damage be too low?

im thinking

20 metoer
    20 fball
    20 fbolt
    1 mastery

20 GS
    20 some synergy - blizz/ice blast?
    1 mastery

1 tele, 1 in prereqs for it

the big question: would the damage on GS (or ice blast) be high enough to be a good secondary attack for spamming? seems to me that being able to do 2 kinds of ele dmg at the same time is better then one...

does the "freezes target +3" mod on cham runes add to freeze length? is it devided by 4 in hell?

2. Jerrett

Jerrett IncGamers Member

In my opinion, if you are untwinked, you will want to use your other 20 points in blizzard.

Reason being? Fire immunes. The damage on GS and Ice Blast is never really going to be similar to a fire ball when synergied, so blizzard will help you to kill the fire immunes that you have frozen with GS.

Also remember that the best combination for damage of meteors and such is not always to only have one point in fire mastery. You may want to reduce the firebolt points in favor of more fire mastery points. Use a skill calculator to find the optimal balance.

Freeze length is divided by 4 in hell, but cham runes only work with physical attacks.

3. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I agree with the above poster. Standard blizzballer or meteorb play pretty well untwinked. You will need both trees to be pretty stong in hell in order to solo effectivly.

Check out the standard blizzballer guides, then you can sub in a few glacial spike synergy points for a longer freeze length if you want. but at 1/4 effectivness it doesn't really help all that much. Using a HF merc will keep everyone moving slow enough (and he'll tank enemies and hold them in place too) to make meteor usefull.

btw, I don't think you have to worry about finding a cham rune untwinked. :grin:

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Agree with other posters. PLEASE put 20 points in Blizz. This will be sooo useful when you want to kill Mephisto or any other kind of mobgroup. Also i would rather suggest to max Iceblast, but i guess that is more personal preference.

Glacial Spike as a damage spell is sadly totally useless. The damage output is simply not high enough. Iceblast is more useful and Glacial Spike should just be used as crows control to hold mobs in place for Blizzard or Meteor, if the should stray from your Merc.

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

I'd probably either go 10/10 or 1/1, rather than that. In the latter case the
    remaining points would be used to boost blizz damage.

It won't be a huge difference (20/1 vs 11/10), but unless you plan on getting
    something like +30 to fire skills, the only reason to max one and keep the other
    at 1 is simplicity. You will do slightly less damage with 20/1.

For reference, optimal Fireball damage with +10 skills would be 11/10, and with
    +20 skills it's 16 fbolt and 5 mastery.
    Optimal Meteor damage with +10 skills would be something like 5/15 and with
    +20 skills that'd be 10/10 again.

Conclusion: With a 10/10 distribution, you get optimal Fball damage with +10
    to skills, optimal meteor damage with +20 skills.
    (This is true for 1/1 as well...)

'Optimal' in all cases meaning optimal for that amount of skill points. All calcs
    assuming maxed Fball and Meteor. Also note that actual difference is relatively
    small, something like 5-10%.

6. munchkins

munchkins IncGamers Member

ok so spikeor is out...:( o well