Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unplayable Lag due to Agent Issue (fix maybe)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by ZappaFan, Mar 28, 2012.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Unplayable Lag due to Agent Issue (fix maybe)

Not really seen this posted here much. I was experiencing some completely horrendous lag in the past week or so. I'd read a lot of stuff about Agent.exe causing the problem, causing multiple instances of D3 to be running. Since I read that I've always used Task Manager (XP) to stop Agent.exe and close the extra instance of D3 running. That seemed to work for a while, then the past couple of days even that wasn't working. Well finally today nothing seemed to be helping. So I re-named my Agent folder and restarted the game, and it went through the motions of re-installing Agent. Maybe it's coincidence, but since I did that the game has been running perfectly. I don't even bother to close Agent any more. This is for XP.

The path for Agent that I renamed is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Battle.net\Agent

I just renamed the Agent folder to "old_agent" so the game thought it was missing. Safe enough if I had a problem I could just restore it.

For what it's worth. You're mileage may vary. :)

2. ZappaFan

Re: Unplayable Lag due to Agent Issue (fix maybe)

Sheesh, looks like maybe NOT. Played great all day. Just tried to play and I'm still getting the lag spikes. sigh. Oh well. Sorry folks!

3. Xariov

Xariov <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

Heh heh. I've seen a few things mentioning ties between resource-intensive operations (i.e. graphic quality settings, OS processes/CPU usage, etc) and in-game connection lag/latency. Simply put, there's no logical reason for them to be tied to each other. I guess theoretically, depending on how Blizz perform their weird (but awesome) "no lag" networking logic, there may be some relation but generally speaking any such tie-ins don't really make any logical sense.

I think a lot of the misconception comes from the hugely varying performance of the Beta test as it is at the moment. I've done some experimenting similar to this myself and sat back in surprise going, "Holy crap, that actually fixed it?!?!!?" but every time I've noticed that, I've also noticed that the same logic fails to apply the next time I have latency issues. It's simply a matter of bad (good?) timing where the end result appears to be of benefit but it's really just the up-and-down nature of the test at the moment catching you out. Sad, but true. :).

That's not to say that there aren't Agent issues, or performance-related detriments stemming from it, but any direct relationship between computer resources and connection latency (except in certain extreme circumstances) is against most normal computing logic.

Fingers crossed the retail game has more reliable pings!

4. Flux

Flux Administrator

During the first day of the new win XP killer patch, I got it to play properly by doing similar task manager sniping of agent.exe and the 2nd version of D3 that starts up. That didn't work after those first tries though, and I got that 3-4 seconds of frozen lag every few seconds every time I tried after that. As such I haven't even bothered to log on the past 3 or 4 days, while waiting for word to come that it's been fixed. Given that the "your video card is not supported" bug that only bothered XP users lasted for like 4 months, I'm not real optimistic about further beta play on this machine.

*Insert joke about Bobby's under the table deal with MS to make people drop $150 on an OS upgrade here.*

One thing that might help is that this same agent.exe failure is killing win XP users in the Panda Pack beta also, and since those people are paying customers for WoW, Bliz will take the issue seriously.

Out of curiosity I just checked the site analytics, and 86% of people who visit this site are using Windows, and 16% of those are using XP. (76% are in Win7 with 8% on vista). This is over the past month and into the millions of visitors, so it's a statistically significant data set. Obviously the Venn diagram circles of "computers used by visitors to this site" is not identical to "computers used by people playing Blizzard games' but I'd think it's probably a pretty substantial overlap. Seems reasonable to say that what, 10% of blizzard's player base are using win xp?

I'd think a bug that's fatal for 10% of your user base would be pretty high priority to fix, even for the understaffed and overworked Blizzard tech support department.

5. Xariov

Oh, it's actually a system freezing issue not connection lag? Woops... I didn't realize. Sounds pretty terrible though, and a massive oversight on Blizz's part to let it infect multiple instances of their launcher. Ouch. Feel sorry for XP users. Quite odd, really, as you'd normally see Win7 users getting the raw end of things... but I guess as more and more developers focus on Win7 as a platform, more bugs for the older OSes will appear. I'd actually be really interested in investigating this if I still had an XP machine.

Here's hoping some fix comes soon. :eek:.

6. ursustas

ursustas IncGamers Member

could be alot of things ..
    perhaps try running sysinternal tool process explorer to see what is actually using the context switch delta
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sysinternals/archive/2004/04/27/452830.aspx
    to possibly clarify if it is indeed agent.exe process related
    you can always try lowering agent.exe process priority

7. Hawera

Hawera IncGamers Member

What I've done is create a shortcut to the Diablo iii.exe in the D3 beta folder with -launch at the end. Doing it like that after I did a complete re-install fixed it. You don't need to run the launcher unless there is a patch(for beta anyway, we'll see how launch goes).

So the end of the shortcut should look something like "Diablo III Beta\Diablo III.exe" -launch

Hope that helps

8. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver IncGamers Member

After trying different things with mixed results that would often seem to work once or twice then fail, using -launch in the shortcut seems to do the trick every time. At least I learned how to disable CPU cores in the boot menu and select cores for different processes using affinity in the task manager. I almost put a second hard drive in my computer so that I could have both Windows 7 and XP available.

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

Blizzard has had nothing to say in the official tech support forum about this issue since last week, when they acknowledged it.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4254455412

I tried the -launch shortcut and it did nothing. Still got agent.exe on start up and still got 2 instances of D3, and the same unplayable lock up lag in game. I'm now doing a full reinstall, after which I'll only start the game with the -agent command line, to see if that helps, never accessing the new agent at all.

If anyone wants more details on doing the target line shortcut, check out the d2 wiki page; it's exactly like setting d2 to run in a window or start a new char in act 5, etc.

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Game_commands#Target_Line_Commands

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

yHey, so that didn't work. The installer just sits endless on "Updating System Files..." and when I finally opened task manager, sure enough, there was our old friend agent.exe squatting like a vulture. Closing it causes the installer pop up to jump to "Launching Blizzard Launcher" which sits there fora minute before returning to "Updating System Files," with an Agent.exe opened again.

Closing it repeatedly eventually gets me this error:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/BLZPTS0000C

I'd been planning on a new system/upgrade sometime around my b-day in late June, so I guess I'll consider accelerating that plan, and will obviously want to include Win7 in my plans. My laptop runs on Vista, but it's 3 years old and isn't meant for gaming, so can't handle even D3's low end reqs.

11. ZappaFan

I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading to Windows 7 as well. I just made the switch at work and it went pretty painless really. I've heard so many people complaining about it I was a little surprised actually.

12. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Should definitely upgrade to Windows 7 so you have a lot more support for everything, not just Diablo 3. But if you're not quite ready to make the purchase yet, you can try using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview (beta). It's free, and if you've got a decent computer, you can even run that in a virtual machine with VMWare. No idea how D3 works on Windows 8 personally, but it's worth a shot. Note, however, that if you've not used Win7 before, going from XP to 8 is a very drastic change.

13. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx IncGamers Member

I think you guys should just upgrade to Windows 7.. Windows xp is almost 11 year old OS...11 years is just too much to be fully supported these days. I know our company is not blizzard..and we don't have so many customers like Blizzard but we are also developing applications in some forms .. browser like stuff.. and when our customers have problems with our applications in old browser..like IE5 or IE6.. and are asking us to support these browsers..we just don't ..even they are still something like 5-9% of our customers. We will tell them to upgrade their browsers/OS ...and if they don't...well..we maybe lost a customer.. but it's really not worth to support these old systems. It's too much work for little gain.

I know browser is not OS..but you can buy windows 7 like for 50-60€ it's not that much ... you will have to upgrade sooner or later anyway.

EDIT: Windows 7 is one of the easiest OS for installing and setup-ing. 99% things can be automated. Basically you can just start installing the OS.. and let all the work, drivers and some other tasks to be installed automatically. Every time I was installing W7 on different computers, it was painless and computer were ready without any additional tasks to be done. System and drivers ready and everything working properly and it takes just 30-90 minutes...depending how fast your internet connection is.

14. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

For some reason I don't get the same issues exactly... not nearly as bad as others have experienced. I have Win XP with a decent graphics card (HD5850), and when I launch the beta I often get the "3DDraw failed" error (or whatever it says). I go to Task Manager and delete whichever instance of D3 is not responding. The only time I tried to delete Agent.exe I got massive lag, so I leave it alone now. If deleting the extra instance of D3 doesn't fix it, I simply restart the game. It seems strange to be able to fix it by simply doing the same thing again, but there it is. Once it starts working, it's good for the rest of the session.

15. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

holy crap i feel bad for 8% of your visitors

16. Xariov

I think I'm going to have to install XP in a VM just to play with this. It sounds intriguing. I assume it'd still apply to a VM environment, anyway.

That being said, I'd most certainly be on-board with others recommending an upgrade to Win7. It's very painless these days and as with most OS releases, is now very stable post-Service Pack 1 (although I never had much trouble even before that). You can get very cheap machines these days that are more than capable of running Win7 comfortably, especially if you're happy with a desktop (as opposed to a laptop).

17. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I read this interesting article a little while back which surprised me, about how Windows XP still rules the overall market. I know you're just talking about site visitors and Blizzard games, but these are overall internet statistics:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57388563-75/xp-loses-ground-to-windows-7-but-still-top-os/

18. xManiaCCCx

xManiaCCCx IncGamers Member

Yes, but most XP users wont touch anything more complex than Word or internet explorer.. there are millions of offices with old computers used for basic administrative and internet/facebook browsing.

but there are statistic when you will exclude these computers, you are below 9% of XP share on market.

19. ZappaFan

I was playing this morning, and when I first started I was getting the really bad lag just running around in town. I exited Diablo 3, and restarted, and it was golden. Played for about an hour more or less lag free (and then had to go to work).

20. Kadgar

Kadgar IncGamers Member

I also have WinXP and had the same "lag" problems with diablo3.exe starting 2 times at once and still having the issues after killing one of the 2 exes.

This completely solved these problems for me:
    • Go to Diablo 3 folder in Explorer
    • Rightclick the Diablo III.exe
    • Create Shortcut
    • Open properties of the Shortcut
    • Change Target from "...\Diablo III.exe" to
    • "...\Diablo III.exe" -launch
    • Then always start D3 with the shortcut.