Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unofficial patch?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, May 29, 2005.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind Diabloii.Net Member

Unofficial patch?

Not sure where and when I spotted these first, but two things have changed.

First, Nihlathak used to be in town when you entered Arreat Plateau in order to explain his side of Anya's disappearance and didn't vanish until you entered Crystalline Passage. Now he disappears the moment you enter the plateau. I can't verify if this is Battle.net-only, but it's happened twice now; can't be a coincidence.

Second, shift+attacking without a target used to aim in the general direction of the cursor, as in Diablo. Now, it aims at the nearest enemy even if it's in the opposite direction. Not sure which is better, but I'd assume that, if there has been a change, the routine for picking an enemy to attack would try choosing one in the direction of the cursor first. After all, if that's the direction you're trying to make a path towards it makes no sense killing something behind you.

If anyone else notices this behavior, or has further information, please reply.

2. Ax2Grind

More information

I've just been playing more in Act Five and, while spelunking through Nihlathak's Temple with a few other public adventurers, spotted what I thought were ghostly baboon demons (the ones that first appear in Act Two but known for Act Three jungles). These weren't champions, as it turned out, but appear to be a new type of monster variation.

Though I can't remember the full name *punches self* the last part was Marauder, I believe. They were translucent, just like their ghostly superiors, but had white names and behaved (died, attacked, etc) normally. Etherealness is a natural trait to these creatures, making them slightly harder to see. They didn't drop anything special or cause unease, but they also aren't listed in Arreat Summit's Guest Monsters. I've played this game quite a few times and never saw a true ethereal monster that wasn't a ghostly version, so this is more evidence leading me to think some alterations have been made, or - in the words of the regular I play with - have been being made for a while.

As said above, if anyone has further information feel free to post. Apparantly no one has since the first one.

3. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

Never noticed this, but then again, I've always left him alone, whereever he might be.

Last time I can remember doing this, it didn't aim at the nearest monster.

That one has been there since 1.10 beta.

4. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned Diabloii.Net Member

they also unoficially fixed the FE bug which those of us that play single player deal with

5. frygia

frygia Diabloii.Net Member

On Hell... but left it on Nightmare. Everytime I do gold runs, my heart leaps when my baba with a high BO and lots of life drops to 1/20 of his life when a FE council member explodes. It's really annoying. On Hell, it doesn't happen anymore.

6. Ax2Grind

A few things

I used to talk to him all the time. "Anya! Who have you been talking to? Likely it was that meddling Malah. Well, I'll tell you what really happened..." I know this game by heart sometimes, and I'm sure that if it's been altered it's probably an accident unless Blizzard decided to cut down on the royalties it has to pay (never put something like that past them).

Well, it's aiming at the nearest now, assuming there's an enemy within melee range. Shocked me, but as I said it may be some in-house testing for Diablo 3. Wow, Blizzard will be losing a lot of money if they plan a sequel without fixing D2 and giving huge apologies, especially if they continue to make people pay for Battle.net in these new titles.

Funny, I've never seen it with all the playing I've done. I don't doubt you, but can you point to the Arreat Summit reference? I know they updated everything else on their site, I doubt they missed something like that.

Don't forget about the Infinite Gold trick using Fool's/Grinding-affixed weapons. That was the first thing, if I'm not mistaken; can't have people getting lots of useless gold in this game.

7. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

Unless it's a real patch I doubt they're able to move NPCs/change quests.

This is another change that they just can't do properly without a client-side patch. I really doubt D2 is still being changed.

Don't trust the AS. The lack of updates is really showing, with a helluvalot of errors left.

Don't forget Hawkeye.

8. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Ok, B and /B for "bull" formatting. When did we start trusting the AS?

Besides, the reason people don't see Toomb Vipers and Night Marauders are they soo rarely do the halls of vaught... There's no reason to do it. There are actually very good reasons NOT to do it.

9. Ortzg

Ortzg Diabloii.Net Member

i dont know, can u speak about these?

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

For some time it was possible to buy an item for less that you could sell it for. IIRC, it was like this: When selling, level-dependent mods have been valued at your level, but when buying, at L1. So by selling and buying back the same item again and again with a high-level character, you were able to make as much money as you wished.

Regarding Nihlathak: I never cared much about that guy before the Anya quest, so I don't know.

Regarding shift-attacking: I just tried it with my zealot. He makes his attack (zeal, what else) at where I have my mouse cursor, even if monsters are near, but not near enough for melee.

I guess cannot be influenced by a server-side patch, but it probably can be influenced by (I'm not accusing you of anthing) third-party software. Another possibility is that it depends on the skill you are using.

11. Ortzg

Ortzg Diabloii.Net Member

thankx for the info

12. Ax2Grind

Shift-attacking enemies with

Never used third-party software, just OrcusImmortalis and his Concentrate attack on this character. I'm pretty sure, though, that the other Barbarians I made did that same thing. There's an easy way to find out, assuming the mercenaries don't kill everything first.

Remember, you don't select an enemy and shift-attack, you choose a spot on the screen where no enemies exist, then lay the pointer there and hold shift while pressing attack. Once an enemy comes within melee range he swings at them; best way I can describe it.

13. krischan

If something comes into melee range, the case is different. I thought you meant the attack is aimed into the monster's direction if it's not in melee range. That means that zeal is the completely wrong skill to test it with, as you can only control which monster is hit with the first swing. If monsters come near, all zael attacks are automatically aimed at a monster. It's like that with skills like strafe as well.

I made another test with the standard attack and it seems that a kind of three-dimensional collision check is made. I moved my paladin to a small monster pack (black carvers at the inner cloister in normal mode) and let him shift-attack into the wrong direction, not clicking on a monster). A few carvers got killed, but a few didn't. Another explanation would be that the carvers have a greater reach than 2 (the reach of my paladin's Grief phase blade), but I doubt that.

14. Ax2Grind

Range may be an issue

Odd that AS doesn't list range of monsters or the weapons they use. Just to be more detailed, there seems to be a slight chance of it not happening, but I'm throwing that out the window for now due to the fact that we're both dealing with creatures that tend to run away at stupidly odd moments.

Also, we both know the issues dealing with the new netcode, that monsters aren't always where the client displays them in relation to where they actually are on the server. It's gotten much worse in .10, so I'd suggest choosing another monster, one likely to get in your face and stay there. When you get hit (likely not for much damage) you know they're standing within weapon range, assuming we know their range isn't longer than ours. Any way to find that out or would it be better using a two-handed five-range weapon? More likely we'd get hit because of lower defense and less blocking, so more chances to quickly test it.

15. YellowDyeNo5

YellowDyeNo5 Diabloii.Net Member

I depend on the shift-click autotargetting with my fireclaws druid. Seeing as how its a one hit attack (evil Blizzard), I just hold shift until all monsters within range 2 are dead. For the most part, it works; there are times when it seems that a monster should be dead, but I'm uncertain if that's because that bit of coding is buggy or just because they're outside of the phase blade's reach, which of course is quite possible.

16. krischan

No matter where the monster actually are, if their reach isn't greater than yours and they can attack you, auto-aiming skills like zeal will hit them as well. Shift-clicking ensures that you won't move and if you don't aim at a monster during that, all targets are selected by the game server, so no attack will be aimed into the air, and sometimes you will be surprised how far away monsters are displayed while they are actuall stand right next to you.

The opposite is more dangerous, however. If you click on a monster that apparently stands next to you, but actually is quite a bit away, without holding shift, the attack either fails, i.e. you have no leech (dangerous if you are surrounded by an aura-enchanted frenzytaur pack or Lister and his minions) or the monster suddeny appears at the correct location and your character will move to it, which can be even more deadly if you are in run mode (i.e. the monsters will always hit if they bypass your blocking which is at 1/3) and the movement takes some time while being within the range of dangerous monsters.

The drawback of shift-attacking in melee is that if the monsters have greater reach, they might attack you while you can't without moving which would be like attacking into empty air, so you have to be a little careful.

17. Ax2Grind

The netcode just plain stinks

There are so many problems the netcode causes that I don't think I can describe them.

If you believe that if the monster that appears next to you is really 20yds away then, as you're attacking, the client corrects its location so you start walking/running toward it then you could be mistaken as to just how bad the netcode is. If you select a monster whose location is incorrect and press attack both the client and the server move you toward that monster and start swinging (assuming you're holding the button down). The client will display you taking one step and swinging two or three times - missing all three, this because on the server the command to attack the monster is still in its walking/running stage to get in proper attack range. While you're swinging on your client making it appear as though you have no attack rating you're not even in range on the server. Then, as you come within range of the monster on the server you may actually start hitting him, but other monsters that aren't even near you - a group you wouldn't have approached because of a possible boss nearby, start swinging at thin air and you take massive damage. Only then are locations corrected and it's you that suddenly warps, into danger.

Inproper netcode can have a varied amount of effects and they can all be disastrous. The autoaiming of a multiple-swing attack is different from complete autoaiming, in this case of a single-swing attack. The point is I never saw that before even though I've used that technique many times. If it isn't new when did it start happening?

What about Nihlathak disappearing upon reaching the Arreat Plateau?

I'm still unconvinced about Night Marauders, though I accept the possibility of them being added with .10 when initially released. It's the fact that no other monsters are ethereal, that I never saw them before (or heard about them from anyone else, even after all the other Nihlathak quests), and because they're not listed in the monster pages on Arreat Summit. Still seems like something they wouldn't leave out and fits the concept of adaptations being added afterward.

18. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

The ethereal baboon didn't exist in 1.09, as it's not there in monstats.txt.

The 1.10 monstats.txt I have is from the patch_d2.mpq, which is unchanged since the release of 1.10. You never noticed it existed, and it's simply missing from the AS. That really does happen (often).